Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Zafra

Pages: 1 8 replies

I recently picked up a bottle of Zafra Master Reserve I had never tried or even seen before. I did a search and couldn't find it on the board either. Made in Panama and aged in bourbon barrels according to the label-it is muy bueno! The flavor, nose and finish are reminiscent of Zaya/Ron Zacapa. In fact the importer for Zafra, Dana Importers, I believe was the importer for Zacapa and Zaya before Diageo bought Ron Zacapa. There's a strong caramel flavor but overall I would say it's well balanced. Very good rum and worth checking out if I do say so my damn self :wink:

looks very nice,
and I love Zaya and Zapaca.
must find this.

thanks
Jeff(btd)

just got this yesterday,at Hi time in Cosata Mesa,
while picking up some Rum for Spermy's party sat.

I think I need to try it some more,
and have some pallet cleansing stuff going on.
as I was not blown away by it.
to me it had hints of a Scotch to it.
the Guy at Hi Time said maybe more whiskey or Cognac.
hmmmmm
I also got a bottle of Zaya.
which I have had before and LOVE it.

anybody else try Zafra yet?

I was really wanting to like it.
Jeff(btd)

I may have been a bit to harsh on this rum review above at first.

after Having a really rich Zaya,
I could see why Zafra would come off kinda not so great.

But I took the bottle of Zafra to the Blow Hole party and was passing around shots of it to people and most everybody liked it.
and I did too.

so it is a good rum.
just be sure not to have it after something really sweet and Molasses-y.

Jeff(btd)

On 2009-11-25 15:28, alohacurrent wrote:
Made in Panama and aged in bourbon barrels according to the label-it is muy bueno!

Stupid question, the bourbon barrels are pre-used?
Which would obviously have an effect on the taste (i know that's a "duh" statement).

yep, used :)
I think Martin mentioned in his last seminar at Tiki Oasis that Bourbon barrels are pretty cheap used since the bourbon always gets made in new barrels.
At least I think that's what was said, there was a lot of rum involved.
Ran

Ok, this is a wild rum, most of us rum geeks know most aged rums (say 10-15 years plus) usually have strong upfront tastes such as molasses, vanilla, just generally more of a sweet smooth profile. But Zafra WOW! super hard to describe its almost has a nothing up front tast but builds afterword. Almost like a super high quality vodka has not real flavor to it. Dont get me wrong Zafra is an excellent rum but you really you need to try it to fully understand its profile. Trust me one sip and you'll understand.

Just got another bottle of this and a few other things for the holidays,
if anybody is interested in doing some rum tasting of old dark rums.
shoot me a PM,
after wed. I am off work for 11 days, and wanna do some serious drinking.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 8 replies