Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Calling upon the Urban Archeologist gods for help!

Pages: 1 9 replies

TS

This has been bugging me for sometime now... Its a elongated building with A-frame in front on the 2700 block of Redondo Beach Blvd, Gardena.
The cross street for reference is Van Ness Ave., and is two buildings east on R.B.B.
Does anyone know what this location used to be?

Check google to get an idea of how long the building goes back...
Google Aerial view of the location
It maybe marked by a business called "Little shop of Fabrics".

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2009-12-01 17:38 ]

Tom, this might not necessarily have been a Polynesian biz, it looks classic mid-century modern. Car dealerships, laundromats, even liquor stores used that design back then.

Tom - send a PM to Doctor Z. He knows the full background story on this building and its matching sibling. They were never Polynesian unfortunately.

Sabu

But it sure looks cool!

And now it's a VD or ED Treatment Center? (Wang Clinic :D)

H

Sabu, is the "sibling" you speak of on Sepulveda Blvd. in Torrance?

Or is there yet another clone of this building.

4192 Sepulveda Blvd,(very poor Google street view):

Classic Googie.....

H

Yes, clearly Googie and apparently these two buildings used the exact same blue prints.

H

Maybe this thread should be relocated to Lotta Living. On the other hand, these particular buildings have probably already been well documented there

DZ

OK, here's what I know: nothing about the building in Gardena. I don't think it's 'identically related' to the one on Sepulveda; it looks like its roofline is much wider at the base than the Sepulveda building. However, the building on Sepulveda DOES have an identical twin at 2020 W. Carson Street (NE corner, cross street Arlington), and 'back-in-the-day' both were offices for Fred Fredericks Real Estate. Fred & his twin brother Derf (yes, that's his name, I kid you not) were members of the Torrance Jaycees and I worked with Derf for many years doing volunteer work while I was in high school. A quick Google search shows that Derf is still in the business, but nada about Fred. Best of my knowledge - not Polynesian.

Pages: 1 9 replies