Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki in Connecticut??

Pages: 1 17 replies

S

Anyone have any Tiki favorties in CT?

T

The only thing in CT that is close to tiki is the Timexpo Museum in Waterbury. It has the 40 foot moai outside, and the Thor Heyerdahl exhibit inside. It's right off I-84 in the Brass Mill Commons

Welcome to the board, Squeezix.

Here's another thread where we discussed tiki-long-gone in CT.

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3272&forum=1&13

Sabu

Ooops, I responded to the wrong thread. Oh well, welcome aboard anyway. We gotta keep representin' the c-o-n-n! Tiki's within a day's drive or not!

Here's another smidge of info on CT (possibly) tiki. There used to be a restaurant in Vernon near the Manchester border, think it was called The Islander. Went a few times when I was young, but unfortunately have no souvenirs or photos. Might have been more polynesian than tiki? Anyone else remember the place?

B

Islander is looooong gone unfortunately. I lived in vernon a few years back, and the closest thing now is the Panda Palace. No tiki decor, but the food is amazing & the drinks are pretty good.

There's also a new place, right up the road from me in Tolland called the South Pacific. I poked my head in & its pretty much tiki free.

They just got their liquor license, so I'll be going back soon to actually eat & drink. Will post a review after I do.

T

nevermind

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-08-23 14:50 ]

Yeah, I remember the Islander building housed an Italian restaurant for a while (late 70s or early 80s?). Was it one of the buildings that got bulldozed to make room for the car dealerships?

I'll be in town next month--could you post the addy of that new place? Always up for a little local side tripping.

S

On 2007-08-23 14:36, Bargoyle wrote:
Islander is looooong gone unfortunately. I lived in vernon a few years back, and the closest thing now is the Panda Palace. No tiki decor, but the food is amazing & the drinks are pretty good.

There's also a new place, right up the road from me in Tolland called the South Pacific. I poked my head in & its pretty much tiki free.

They just got their liquor license, so I'll be going back soon to actually eat & drink. Will post a review after I do.

Tolland , huh ? I'm originally from Willimantic and went to UCONN .

B

Hey Sushiman. Im right in your neck of the woods! I'm a UMASS guy, but started a business here in tiki-free CT. You ever get back state-side?

Utopian, the South Pacific is at 23 Fieldstone commons in Tolland. You get off rte 84 at exit 68 toward UCONN, and go into the Big Y plaza. Its in there. Let me know when you're in town. My house is like 1 mile up the road, and the Lono Lounge is always open to a fellow TCer.

S

On 2007-08-23 16:49, Bargoyle wrote:
Hey Sushiman. Im right in your neck of the woods! I'm a UMASS guy, but started a business here in tiki-free CT. You ever get back state-side?

Utopian, the South Pacific is at 23 Fieldstone commons in Tolland. You get off rte 84 at exit 68 toward UCONN, and go into the Big Y plaza. Its in there. Let me know when you're in town. My house is like 1 mile up the road, and the Lono Lounge is always open to a fellow TCer.

Actually , I was in New York for 10 days ( my family all live on Long Island now ) in March/April to take care of some family business , but unfortunately didn't get over to CT or MA where I have friends . My oldest buddy lives in Ashford , and both he and his wife work at UCONN . Two Mass. buddies are pro drummers Dave Mattacks and Jerome Deupree .

Next March we're going to the Big Island ( condo booked ! ) so it'll most likely be 2009 before I get to the mainland again . Would dig checking out the Lono Lounge ! Thanks for the invite ! S

On 2007-08-23 12:36, UtopianDreem wrote:
Here's another smidge of info on CT (possibly) tiki. There used to be a restaurant in Vernon near the Manchester border, think it was called The Islander. Went a few times when I was young, but unfortunately have no souvenirs or photos. Might have been more polynesian than tiki? Anyone else remember the place?

WOW, someone who remembers that place!! Unfortunately I was never in it, but I do vaguely remember the building. (I've asked a ton of people about it and no one seems to remember it!!??) Yes, it was right where the car dealership is. I would LOVE to see some photos of that place (inside and out)

L

Just found these on a postcard site.
Anyone ever hear of it before??

BK

S'matter Luke? Ya bored back here in the rain?

L

On 2009-07-08 15:23, Big Kahuna wrote:
S'matter Luke? Ya bored back here in the rain?

I'm gonna start building Outriggers instead of custom cars!!

Not in great shape and not "tiki," but finally found a matchbook from The Islander in Manchester.

Anything in the Groton Area?

Wow, I just noticed the matchbook - very cool! I've heard about the Islander from lots of folks over the years and have always wanted to see pictures of it. Now I'm even more intrigued.

Nothing tiki to speak of near Groton, aside from a great home bar in Stongington. The closest outfit to Groton with mugs for sale would likely be Paddy's in Misquamicut, not that it's a tiki bar. For RI tiki you really need to travel up to Ho Kong in Woonsocket.

It's slim pickins up here.

Pages: 1 17 replies