Type:cocktail bar
Street:611 N. La Brea
City:Los Angeles
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
The Tar Pit 611 N La Brea

New cocktail bar from Audrey Saunders(The Pegu Club NYC)
opening Dec 7
One third of the drinks will be rum based

[ Edited by: Rum Runner 2009-12-02 23:29 ]

[ Edited by: Rum Runner 2009-12-02 23:30 ]

[ Edited by: Rum Runner 2009-12-02 23:33 ]

C
Chub posted on Thu, Dec 3, 2009 10:01 AM

I hear they'll have rum, but will they have Tiki?

From an interview with the owner:

1. You originally said The Tar Pit would open on December 7th, Pearl Harbor Day. Any correlation between the two? There is no Pearl Harbor significance. It was the soonest Monday we thought we might be ready. Now it seriously looks likely to be December 14.

2. The Tar Pit has a great Old Hollywood art deco feel. Was the design your idea? The look evolved through many meetings with Audrey, our designer Tracy Beckmann, and my partner Jay Perrin. The name alone took six months of "discussion".

thanks for the info Paul, and Sven.
looking forward to seeing it, trying it out.

Jeff(btd)

C
Chub posted on Thu, Dec 3, 2009 10:46 AM

You're killing me! Help a guy out here who's not in the loop. How is this related to anything Tiki? I'm all for rum drinks and Deco design, but...IS IT TIKI? I hope it is, because I need a new hang.

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Dec 3, 2009 11:53 AM

OUCH!!

six months of discussion to come up with the name TAR PIT?

What I'd really like to see across the street from the La Brea Tar Pits is a Flintstones-themed, Modern-Googie-StoneAge restaurant serving "Mastodon Steaks","Bronto-Burgers" and "Pterodactyl Hot Wings"

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-12-03 12:20 ]

On 2009-12-03 12:19, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
What I'd really like to see across the street from the La Brea Tar Pits is a Flintstones-themed, Modern-Googie-StoneAge restaurant serving "Mastodon Steaks","Bronto-Burgers" and "Pterodactyl Hot Wings"

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-12-03 12:20 ]

I would buy that for a dollar!

S

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/02/dining/02rum.html?pagewanted=1&8dpc

A Night Marcher, to be served at the Tar Pit in Los Angeles.

T

Lord you poor poor Californians, having to suffer through another 2 new rum shacks!,
you must have alot of sins to atone for that the big fella has smite you with such sugary penance!
Thank GOD I live in a country with nothing to tempt me away from purity and a zen like relaxation....
All kidding aside it's just 2 more reasons to surrender at the border for sneaking into Canada lol
"Take me back to California !, I dont deserve this sacred earth " lol
..............( do ya think they'd buy it ?)

BB

Chub, everything I’ve seen and read about the Tar Pit is that it will have an "Old Hollywood" look to it. Besides Bosko’s Kumu mug I don’t think there will be anything else Tiki, good rum drinks sure but Polynesian Paradise no. :down:

Sabu, anytime you want to check out the Jurassic Restaurant in City of Industry let me know.

It’s next door to the Hawaii Theater = No Hawaiian’s, No Theater but HELLO! :blush: We can make a crawl out of it. :lol: Laughing but totally serious at the same time.

H

On 2009-12-03 19:07, Bora Boris wrote:
Sabu, anytime you want to check out the Jurassic Restaurant in City of Industry let me know.

Considering the scenery, I'm pretty sure Sabu would not say no. Uhh, maybe count me in too!

H

The NY Times article has this bit o' text:

The bar’s theme is more what Ms. Saunders calls “old-Hollywood swellegance” than Polynesian kitsch, but early next year she intends to move aggressively in that direction, with a selection of what she calls “neo-tropical cocktails.”

To be honest, I don't understand exactly what is meant. The way that's written, it reads as meaning "Move the theme aggressively in a Polynesian kitsch direction," but it seems more likely that she meant she's only interested in taking the menu in that direction, but not the decor. Although, a tiki with a ball-gag in its mouth doesn't exactly say "old-Hollywood swellegance"***** to me. It's kinda more "J. Edgar Hoover behind closed doors." So, who the hell knows.

***** Even the use of the lame portmanteau "swellegance" doesn't say "old-Hollywood swellegance" to me. It's a paradox!

"Bring out the gimp"
:o

J
JOHN-O posted on Thu, Dec 3, 2009 9:00 PM

Not to bag on a new business here, but why do we need neo-retro when we have authentic retro ?

New "Old Hollywood" is fine but I'd rather frequent old "Old Hollywood". Musso & Frank - there is no substitute.

Also with authentic mid-century places like Tiki-Ti, Tonga Hut, and DTBC serving the BEST tropical cocktails in the universe, does LA really need another Tiki Revival joint. We already have TV DTLA, Purple Orchid, and Puka Bar.

Actually I know Sabu was joking about a Flinstones themed bar, but I think that's a fantastic idea. I think the concept would work well in K-Town since them Koreans just love their kitchy themed bars. Anyone been to Crazy Hook? You know what I'm talking about.

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Dec 4, 2009 7:29 AM

I agree with you John-O regarding the neo-retro VS the real thing. I support the real thing.

I have to admit its sounds interesting though...a visit to "J.Edgar Hoover's behind closed doors" schtick...if anything but to say "yeah, been there done that."

As far as Korea Town goes for me it can be too $cha-ching$ although if you split the cost with friends its okay and if you know the right people, patronize the right places you CAN get anything you desire! A hidden adult underworld right in your own backyard, midnight to six.

A

*On 2009-12-04 07:29, TikiG wrote:*I have to admit its sounds interesting though...a visit to "J.Edgar Hoover's behind closed doors" schtick...

Knowing what we know now about Hoover's crossdressing ways, I'm not sure I'd want to meet him "behind closed doors." Just sayin'.

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Dec 4, 2009 8:54 AM

Ha! crossdressing - probably the least of the offensive!

I'm banking on SHOCKING and APPALLING

On 2009-12-03 21:00, JOHN-O wrote:
Not to bag on a new business here, but why do we need neo-retro when we have authentic retro ?

New "Old Hollywood" is fine but I'd rather frequent old "Old Hollywood". Musso & Frank - there is no substitute.

Also with authentic mid-century places like Tiki-Ti, Tonga Hut, and DTBC serving the BEST tropical cocktails in the universe, does LA really need another Tiki Revival joint. We already have TV DTLA, Purple Orchid, and Puka Bar.

Actually I know Sabu was joking about a Flinstones themed bar, but I think that's a fantastic idea. I think the concept would work well in K-Town since them Koreans just love their kitchy themed bars. Anyone been to Crazy Hook? You know what I'm talking about.

Musso & Frank is my type of old school for sure.I also like the Tropicana bar at the
Roosevelt Hotel and the Cabana bar across the street from downtown TV'S in the
Hotel Figueroa .

:up: This is about as Tiki as the Tar Pit gets - Bosko’s Kumu mug with a ball gag and a Potted Parrot surrounded by some Pusser’s rum cups with bottles of Coruba, Lemon Hart and Havana Club for company. Bartender extraordinaire Audrey Saunders has left the Tar Pit and I’m afraid the Night Marcher, which was to be served in the Kumu mug, might never happen. I'd say it’s primarily a restaurant, a very good but very noisy restaurant but you can get the full menu at the bar. I wanted to try some drinks before the menu changed so I had The Jamaican Firefly (Goslings Black Seal Rum, house made ginger beer, lime juice, simple syrup) which is their take on a Dark and Stormy (Everyone’s doing a Dark and Stormy now) it was good and I had the Gin Gin Mule (gin, mint, lime simple syrup, house made ginger beer), I really liked the Gin Gin Mule. The service was excellent and I’ll go back again for dinner but not for just drinks at the bar. I hope that Audrey Saunders resurfaces in L.A. sometime soon.

I wanted to mention that despite what I said above :up: The Tar Pit has an excellent Mai Tai on their summertime Friday and Saturday late night Happy Hour menu for only $6.00. The menu should last for another month or so.

They have also added a Pisco Moai decanter to their "Tiki Case". :)

Pages: 1 20 replies