Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Central Night at Lava Lounge with Maikai Gents and Tiki Diablo-With Photos

Pages: 1 24 replies

Aloha, Tiki Central Gang!

This Tuesday, April 29 is Tiki Central Night at Lava Lounge in Hollywood. Mention that you're a member of Tiki Central and you'll get $1 off the already low cover charge of $4. That's a full night of music and art for only $3! Let's not forget the drinks. There will be specially priced TC Custom Cocktails served with the usual Lava Lounge flair! Here's the info:

Aloha, Friends!

Just back from Mondo Tiki at The Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas and it was more fun than we could shake our grass skirts at! It is now a fond memory and Tiki Oasis at Caliente Tropics Resort in Palm Springs (where we'll be performing May 9 & 10) is still weeks away. Q: Where to go to get your in-between Polynesian fix? A: Lava Lounge on April 29! The Maikai Gents featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa return to one of our favorite stages for an evening of old-time Hawaiian crooning and hula dancing. We'll be strumming and singing familiar favorites with a few new sure-to-be classics for your island enjoyment. Tiki Diablo (the newly enhanced name of Chikitiki) will be back to decorate our stage with his hand-carved beautiful art as well as a fabulous door-prize for one lucky audience member! Also appearing will be the astounding surf sounds of The Volcanics. Be sure to come ready to tipple as the Lava Lounge bartenders are skilled in the craft of tropical cocktails and their garnishes will amaze! Sport your best aloha attire and get into the spirit. Come join us as we evoke the romance of Hawaii's golden yesteryears; we can't wait to see you there!

-The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa

This is a Los Angeles Times Calendar Live featured event: http://events.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Home-!ViewEventReviews-71751--0,00.html

Lava Lounge is located at Lava Lounge is at 1533 N. La Brea just north of Sunset. Doors open at 9:00PM and we'll begin soon thereafter. Happy Hour Cocktail prices will be in effect. It'll be only $4 to get in, but if you bring our flyer, the price drops another one dollar! Please e-mail us if you'd like to be sent a flyer. Feel free to pass this information along to anyone you feel would appreciate it.

For flyer or to get on our mailing list, mail us at [email protected]

Sway your hula hips over to http://www.mkgents.com

[ Edited by: Iuka Grogg on 2003-04-30 16:26 ]

I have the best time at the Lava Lounge. Kinda cozy there. Any requests for the door prize?

My doorprize suggestion is a CD of the MaiKai Gents.

By the way, what does the lucky person have to do to be awarded the doorprize?

Just show up and I'll give you a free ticket. I go up on stage, mumble a few things a read off the winning number. The door prize is usually somthing hand-crafted by yours truly.

This sounds fun! I like the Lava Lounge too, the bartenders are hunky!

S

Whew!

Well, now that Mondo Tiki is over, Mike and I have caught our breath and continued our great westward road trip- we're now in the greater LA area. We'll show up Tuesday night and look forward to meeting everyone.

We plan on be around until the weekend, so if anyone would like to get together sometime this week perhaps we could hatch plans at the Lava.

I'll be at the Lava Lounge this Tuesday since I'll be "working from home" on Wednesday -- yeah right! See y'all there.

The doorprizes are always fab and the raffle ticket is yours free! Tiki Diablo is very generous with his amazing talents; a class act all the way. We look forward to seeing you all there. If you're a Tiki Centralite from out of town or who has never seen our show before, please come over and say "aloha" 'cause we'd love to meet you. Mahalo and see you Tuesday night!

-Iuka G. Grogg

p.s. We don't have a CD out yet, but our recording sessions are going superbly. Thanks for asking.

Here's a photo of the last door prize furnished by Tki Diablo (Chikitiki). Pretty great, huh?

A bit of it got cropped out, so in case you can't tell, it's a fabulous painting in a bamboo frame.

[ Edited by: Iuka Grogg on 2003-04-28 11:43 ]

Most excellent door prize.

Will there be rockin' bikini girls backstage for wet n'wild fun?

I'll be there fo sho', it's been way to long since the last time I participated in a sing along to Tiny Bubbles and The Hukilau Song!!!

Regretfully, Miss Cherry Capri has informed me that she will not make it this evening. She's still washing all that hairspray out of her hair from Mondo Tiki - all 14 layers of it.
But I will be there and I'm bringing a new tiki friend! See you all at the lava lounge tonight.

This is great! I can't wait to see you all. Be sure to tell the doorman that you're a member of Tiki Central to get the discount. Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to let 'em know you've come 'cause you like the Gents! Mahalo!

-Iuka

Aloha! Thanks to all you Tiki Centralites who came out and had such fun with us last night! Here are a few photos.

The band. That's me belting out a tune with the lens blemish over my face (maybe not a bad place for it).

The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa and tiny bubbles

King Kukulele and Chikitiki(Tiki Diablo) raffling off the beautiful & provocative doorprize

The Tiki Central Gang(a poorly edited photo since I couldn't get them all in one shot)

Johnnie Velour, Floratina, Lady Chikitiki, Chikitiki,Trader Pup, Crazy Al, King Kukulele, Futura Girl, and Christiki295 (present but not pictured: Polynesian Pop & SugarCaddy Daddy)

Check out Chiki's "Deer caught in Headlights" look! Hey, when was this pic taken? Did you guys wait for me and SCD to leave so we wouldn't crack the lens?

We figured you have gotten enough attention with your 1000 posts and all.... SCD's absence was an unfortunate side effect.

Thanks everyone, it was a great way to spend a Tuesday night!

:tiki:

Looks like fun! Sorry I missed it Judd. We'll see you guys at the Tiki Oasis though, right?

Did you guys wait for me and SCD to leave so we wouldn't crack the lens?

Was SCD swingin' that Samurai sword around again?

Aloha,

Thank you for the big tiki love shown to this malihini last night at Lava Lounge.

Mahalo!

F

You workin on your Oasis reservation, CT295 (`or should I call you "CT" for short)?

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-05-01 01:48 ]

Wait a minute, is WierdUncleTiki and IukaGrogg one and the same or do they just look-a-like? Confused!

On 2003-05-01 08:05, jungletrader wrote:
Wait a minute, is WierdUncleTiki and IukaGrogg one and the same or do they just look-a-like? Confused!

JT, yes they look alike but they're actually cousins.

PolyPop~
Don't forget about Cousin Judd too! Although you can never seem to find all three of them at the same event together....hmmmm...

My wife and I had the best time tues. Thanks for coming out TIKI FAMILY. Oasis III! Busting my tiki all the way up to the last minute. YO ADRIAN! That's my sexy look. Puppy, I owe you a key chain.Chris295, be there ore be square bamboo.

Pages: 1 24 replies