Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Mai Kai drum mug for sale

Pages: 1 19 replies

M

I have decided to part with the Mai Kai drum mug. The mug is in mint condition and still retains the omc sticker on the bottom. Price is $500 delivered to your door via insured priority mail. Please pm me with any questions. I work nights so please be patient i will get back to you asap.

Hey Matt I would have maybe have taken the wax pencil writing off the bottom that shows
you paid $6.99 at the Goodwill.The other mug was the more desirable one , it had the
brighter more vivid paint colors on it.

Now that's funny :D

On 2009-12-03 13:26, matt29b wrote:
Price is $500 delivered to your door via insured priority mail.

I'd buy it, but I'm looking to spend about $750 for one. Let me know if you get another one that costs more.

Buzzy Out!

H
hombre posted on Fri, Dec 4, 2009 1:20 PM

OOOOOPS I think I will wait till I find one at good will.

T

I'll give you $15 for it. That way you will more than double your money.

M

I will enlighten all those who have posted comments on me leaving the price on the bottom, as I am sure you have never seen or handled this mug in person. The words MAI KAI are basically sprayed or painted on the bottom of the mug. If you are even slightly aggressive in cleaning the bottom the words will wipe off. I was going to let the buyer know this and let him or her decide what to do.

P
pdrake posted on Sat, Dec 5, 2009 1:07 AM

hahahahaaaa

this thread cracked me up. all the best to you and the sale. seriously, wish i found it.

caveat emptor

it's a great mug and i didn't mean any disrespect.

ask me how you can help change the world!

[ Edited by: pdrake 2009-12-05 01:48 ]

H
hombre posted on Sat, Dec 5, 2009 7:25 AM

yep no disrespect, it was just kind of funny thats all.

M

NO problem at all guys.

A wonderful specimen, matt29b!

Easily in the top ten of rare and elusive vintage mugs. Surfing the TC or OM boards, anyone can read that only about thirty of these bird-handled, png-style drums were crafted as a unique promotional grand prize for the Mai Kai.

OMC manufactured a "birdless" drum too, that is a highly collectible version and was used by "Tonga at the Fairmont", in San Francisco. The Tonga Room version is considerably smaller in side-by-side comparison, is often available at various auctions, but certainly commands a high collectors value estimate (CVE) nearing $200+ in mint condition.

Several poly-iconic establishments also offered drum and bird mugs, of varying design, on their drink menus:

The Kalua Room - Seattle, WA
Kundu Drum
CVE $700- $1K+

imagery from Tiki Central

The Mauna Loa - Detroit, MI
Drum & Mallet (...designed by Gabe Florian)
CVE $400-$500+

~imagery from Ooga Mooga; Chub

The Mauna Loa - Detroit, MI
Polynesian Pidgeon
(Bamboo vessel , non-drum)
CVE $200- $400

~imagery from Tiki Central

Collecting values are extremely subjective and volatile when it comes to pricing tiki mugs. One person's "Holy Grail" is another's drinking mug. Accounting only for a small number of these "Grand Prizes" manufactured, I'd comfortably say this mug is of reasonable CVE price point and a rarity that rivals Frankoma's "Trade Winds" and "The Cultured Pearl" restaurant ware and certainly much more difficult to find as any Kahiki Idols Cast or Ren Clark's Severed Head. Just my opinion, not necessarily a fact. :wink:

An INCREDIBLE acquisition matt29... and it will definitely be a crown jewel for any fortunate mug collector! :D

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Dec 7, 2009 9:23 AM

I would amend my history of this mug today, but leave it as is, with the answer it was a promo for the Tahiti contest give-away. It is one of the nicest mugs out there simply based on it's mold and markings anyway.

M

It will be on ebay in the next few days, check it out and good luck. I also removed the goodwill price without damage for all those concerned.

[ Edited by: matt29b 2009-12-08 02:17 ]

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Dec 8, 2009 8:18 AM

I've always loved this New Guinea inspired mug. I hope you bring in a record price for it Matt. It looks to be in excellent condition.

I've been doing a little research on New Guinea lately...in particular the flat, deep-jungled areas on the south west side of New Guinea where up until the late 1950's (yes, the 1950's and into the 60's in some areas) a huge part of the peoples way of life was based on, revenge, the taking of heads, and cannibalism. The peoples believed that men came from trees originally, hence the spiritual connection to trees. The peoples see the birds, the flying fruit bats, and other animals eating the fruit from the trees...like head hunting...see the connection? Praying mantis' were also depicted quite a bit. The female eats the head of the male after sex, etc, etc...

This is the reason that this bird imagery was used on various carvings from New Guinea...the Poly Pop artists that saw this imagery...well, you know the story...

UT

On 2009-12-06 12:38, TravelingJones wrote:
A wonderful specimen, matt29b!

Easily in the top ten of rare and elusive vintage mugs. Surfing the TC or OM boards, anyone can read that only about thirty of these bird-handled, png-style drums were crafted as a unique promotional grand prize for the Mai Kai.

Looks like they didn't give all thirty away as here is one for sale in the Mai Kai gift shop way back when.

uncle trav, the 30 or so they gave away were glazed colorfully. The ones they sold in the store were just black and white. Obviously not as cool.

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jan 4, 2010 6:32 AM

On 2010-01-02 11:19, Tiki Shaker wrote:
uncle trav, the 30 or so they gave away were glazed colorfully. The ones they sold in the store were just black and white. Obviously not as cool.

Do you have proof of this? I have not seen one, either the Mai Kai or the Tonga version that is black & white. Or was this a joke?

Your key to Beachbum Berry's books. Login and start concocting!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2010-01-04 06:33 ]

Sorry... bad joke. :)

H

LOL black and white like the picture! hahahahaha that was pretty funny!

DZ

Only 6.99?? I paid $12.99 for mine!

Man, I got ripped off...

:P

Pages: 1 19 replies