Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New Years Eve at Dallas Trader Vic's

Pages: 1 37 replies

K
Kenike posted on Thu, Dec 3, 2009 4:33 PM

Aloha Texas Tikiphiles and everyone else...

A few of us have decided there is no better way to ring in the New Year than with a Mai Tai and maybe some Crab Rangoon.

YES...I'm referring to Trader Vic's in Dallas. The only REAL tiki bar in the state.

Join us for an evening of sophisticated savagery and other Polynesian delights as we dive into the new decade. Be sure to wear your finest aloha gear (weather permitting) so we know who you are!

Your fellow tikiphiles will begin filing in around 5pm. See you in the lounge!

almost forgot to mention....this was Tropical Icebergs idea. BIG MAHALOS!

[ Edited by: Kenike 2009-12-03 18:14 ]

[ Edited by: Kenike 2009-12-03 19:11 ]

Glad you all are coming in for New Year's Eve! Can't wait! Here is a copy of the menu for reference.

(to see the image larger, right-click and hit "save")

K

Sounds like fun! And the menu looks delish.

I'll be there too. I'll even bring our tiki art along for fun. Can't wait.

Come out, come out , from where ever you are and have a Mia Tia , while there's still some left....8)

It doesn't have to be a Mia Tia, you can have just about anything you can dream up..the drinks are good, the place is special...but the company is what counts the most...8)

Does anyone know if the New Year's menu supplants the regular menu (for the evening), or if it's just a special supplement?

when you go to the website it says "feast on the special menu Chef Mike has created for this night"...the Menu is also posted in the lobby , yet they do leave it unclear if any other options are available...Sure hope you two can make, we are looking forward to seeing you again...We were not making dinner plans, just Lounge plans...so we will see what they are serving in bar...usually there is no restrictions...8)

The New Year's Eve menu will be all that is available for that evening (in the way of food). Hope you all enjoy, I know Chef Mike is excited!

K

So looking forward to seeing everyone!

I'm also looking forward to the short stumble upstairs this time. The Palomar is offering a special rate of $119/nt to members of its In Touch program. This is a substantial savings over the rack rate of $199. I just signed up for the program and it took about 3 minutes. You can sign up here: http://www.kimptonhotels.com/intouch/KIT_overview.aspx
You may need to call the hotel direct at 214/520-7969. When you call to make the reservation, make sure they know you are an In Touch member. Dobrolic was told the offer included complimentary parking and a bottle of wine. Didn't double check this as wine is pretty much the last thing on my mind when I'm upstairs from Trader Vic's! :)

K

Cool! So far 13 people say they'll be there. We have tables reserved in the lounge. I'll be there early to be sure we have the tables and to see if I can influence the music in any way.

R

We were just wondering today if we should have a party or what!?!? So, definitely the or what - See you there! Does anyone know if it is a set price for the dinner if we decide to make a reservation? I suppose we can order the same food in the bar, just wondering if the dinner is a set price or what, didn't see prices on there.

K

On 2009-12-27 18:54, Rumbuddy wrote:
We were just wondering today if we should have a party or what!?!? So, definitely the or what - See you there! Does anyone know if it is a set price for the dinner if we decide to make a reservation? I suppose we can order the same food in the bar, just wondering if the dinner is a set price or what, didn't see prices on there.

On the Facebook page it says the special menu is "$65. ($85 if you couple dinner with a wine.)" That's PER PERSON (!!). You'll need to make a reservation if you want to eat in the dining room but you can also get it in the lounge. I'm sticking with the bar food. Mmmm...pork sliders....

[ Edited by: Kenike 2009-12-29 14:15 ]

Aloha, Texas tikiphiles.

Mrs. Zulu and I will be catching a flight down from Denver on Thursday and joining ya'll for New Year's celebration. We will be staying there at the Palomar that evening. Sounds like there it is shaping up to be quite a group in the lounge for the evening. See you guys around 5.

Zulu

D

Aloha all,

We'll be at TV's Dallas for NYE, looking forward to getting together and imbibing in the New Year.

We will be: Dobrolic, Hulacat, Castlehune, and new Tikiphiles from the Washington, DC area--- Dickie Moe and Dubiki, a total of five (5). All staying at the Hotel Palomar.

Goldfish in our room please!

Dobrolic

Hey Kenike,

Do we have an update on the head count?

Aloha,

Dobrolic

K

So far 17 people say they'll definitely be there.

K

Now hear this....

Other than the special $65 per person menu, there IS NO OTHER FOOD....NOT EVEN AT THE BAR.

I just found this out and I'm pretty surprised.

I'm still going...I'll be the one with a bucket of chicken.

[ Edited by: Kenike 2010-01-01 17:57 ]

K

I'm also assuming no 5-7 happy hour either. I didn't ask when I called but I'm sure everything is full price.

Maybe we can get a discount on the Navy Grogs since they're out of rock candy sticks?

[ Edited by: Kenike 2009-12-30 16:59 ]

On 2009-12-16 12:11, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Does anyone know if the New Year's menu supplants the regular menu (for the evening), or if it's just a special supplement?

On 2009-12-18 15:01, Trader_Vic's_Dallas wrote:
The New Year's Eve menu will be all that is available for that evening (in the way of food). Hope you all enjoy, I know Chef Mike is excited!
(emphasis added)

That's why I asked, at the time... I suspected that the regular menu was off for the night. Guess their answer slipped under your radar, Kenike :wink:

K

[ Edited by: Kenike 2010-01-01 17:51 ]

On 2009-12-30 20:35, Kenike wrote:
...The Chinese restaurant down the street from me makes GREAT crab rangoon. I'm bringing some.

Heh, heh, that Kenike, he's such a kidder! No need to frisk him at the door, Trader Vic's - he's just pulling your leg.

D

No bar menu? Not good. Hopefully something will work out for food options.

Dobrolic

[ Edited by: Dobrolic 2010-01-03 12:41 ]

K

If anyone wants to cancel I certainly understand and don't blame you one bit.

If you're a fan of TV's Facebook page you could leave a comment on the announcement I put there about there being no food. They definitely read that.

Right, just forget Trader Vic's.
Koitiki, everyone's coming up to your room - Texas Tikiphiles'll have their own party! :)
(Kenike, remember to bring enough Rangoons for everyone.)

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-12-31 08:31 ]

I must say the path Trader V. has chosen for New Years Eve...certainly doesn't sound like it's a path to success..no disrespect intended to Chef Mike...but who ever is making the decisions should consider making some new ones...8)

R

We'll still be coming but not for the whole evening, I think just a couplefew drinks and then we'll head home. Looking forward to seeing everyone, hopefully the time we're there is when you guys are all there too!

Just wanted to drop in and let you know we are doing our best to listen and make as many people happy as possible. We sincerely understand your complaints, but from a business standpoint I promise you we are doing our best. Most revenue comes from the NYE dinner and to offer the menu we are offering, will take a lot of man power in the kitchen. To ensure that everyone's NYE dinner is the best it can be, we didn't want to risk stretching thin in the kitchen by offering the bar menu. We see your point about the issues of not offering it, but we looked at it logistically and this was our best option. Regardless, we hope you all enjoy your night and have a wonderful New Year's Eve. Be safe, and happy new year!

I want to say "Thanks" to Kenike...for making last night a special night, once again he went out of his way to ensure the best was available.. provided the best music and made other special arrangements on the groups behalf..Thanks..and A special "Thanks" to Chef Mike for his cooperation and consideration. He helped make it a great evening. We will still be regulars at Trader Vic's largely in part to Chef Mike's attention to the group. It can't be easy to run a place like that ..and also give special attention to our small group as well. A big THANK YOU to all who were there...what a night..pictures to follow later..so keep an eye out, and have your alibi ready....8)

Z

Texas tikiphiles, you guys are GREAT!

Alissa and I are back in Denver tonight, but we both really had a fantastic time last night. Everyone made us feel welcome and part of your group.

Kenike, a big Mahalo for putting this all together, pulling off the proper music for the evening and super thanks for the Dallas TV souvenirs.

Chef Mike, I have visited many of the Trader Vic's, but last night was my first time your Big D location. You have a wonderful restaurant and I hope things continue to go well for you. Your focus on customer service was evident when you went out of your way to bring our group not one, but two large trays of crab rangoon on separate occasions (which meant extra unplanned work for you in the kitchen on NYE). A huge thank you, that's real customer service!

Zulu

My camera was walking around, taking pictures..don't know who took them and except no responsibility for anything...I'll post them and someone else can sort them out with captions or explanations..if necessary...the proof is in the pictures...a "GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL"...8) If anyone has a personal intrest any any picture PM me with your E-Mail and I'll send it to you...8)

And the fun continued....8)

Happy New Year 2010 from Dallas Texas ....8)

[ Edited by: Tropical_Icebergs 2010-01-02 15:06 ]

C

On 2009-12-03 16:33, Kenike wrote:
Aloha Texas Tikiphiles and everyone else...

A few of us have decided there is no better way to ring in the New Year than with a Mai Tai and maybe some Crab Rangoon.

YES...I'm referring to Trader Vic's in Dallas. The only REAL tiki bar in the state.

I hope everyone had a great time. I had to work at Dakotas downtown that night. Never thought about getting a room and enjoying the evening. I play piano and have worked most New Year's Eves since I was 14 or so. It would be more fun to sit at TVs and enjoy the atmosphere and the evening. Maybe next year...or another time.

Don

K
Kenike posted on Sat, Jan 2, 2010 9:09 AM

We need to practice the shaka gesture before we're several Navy Grogs deep.

K

Waddya mean? That is the "Hook 'em" for the Texas Longhorns and the shaka combined, thusly, "Texas Tikiphiles"! :)

D

Another great Texas Tikiphiles evening! Mahalo, ho'omaika'i (thank you) to Kenike for organizing, Trader Vic's for hosting, Chef Mike for the appetizers, TV's dynamic duo mixologists Mike & Ricardo, plus the Palomar staff-esp. concierges John Paul & Konnie along with Manager Mr. Liu. It was great to have new honorary TX Tikiphiles join us too-the Zulus (from Denver) & newlyweds "Dickie Moe" & "Dubiki" (Hulacat's brother & his wife from Alexandria, VA). Castlehune had a great time & hung in past midnight. As for the rest of us, a good & well-imbibed time was had by all. Oh those shots of rum at midnight...

Dobrolic

UJ

I see you left the "Unkle John corner booth" vacant for us. :wink:
JuJu and I wanted to make it, but could not due to a family issue. Nothing serious, but our help was called on and we couldn't turn it down. We do, however, plan on coming out in May for the Annual gathering. Happy New Year, yall

K

Thanks to Kenike for organizing this and another huge thank you for the music. It was great seeing all the Texans and welcoming Zulu and Alissa and the infamous DC duo, Dickie Moe and Dubiki.

Grande Kahu and Marianne

Pages: 1 37 replies