Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Advice on Mai-Kai for first timer

Pages: 1 30 replies

M

Hi-
I am taking a side trip from Mouseland down to the Mai-Kai
Tuesday night-wife and kids won't go so it will be solo.
They gave me a 7:30 reservation for the 8 oclock.
Any advice on getting a good seat, food (I don't eat fish but just
about everything else), drinks, souvenairs,etc?

well the list goes on and if you are driving back take it easy on the high octane drinks.
Bring a camera and take too many pictures! Food wise its all good from appitizers in the Molikai bar to the main room tables (asian / American). The gift shop is fun and they have all sorts of Tiki farm Mai kai branded mugs - also aloha wear and assorted trinkets. I'm guessing some locales to the area can jump in with exacts as far as drinks (There are no bad ones if the non-alcoholic ones!) Maybe even a meet up from a local?

Have fun leave a lot of time to explore this massive tiki mecca before the dinner for sure!

On 2009-12-03 18:27, melbedewy wrote:

Do you plan on driving back to Mouseland after dinner? That will seriously alter the drink menu suggestions....

Here is my recommendation for an evening at the Mai Kai.....

Arrive for Happy Hour (5 to 7) and enjoy the Molokai Bar. Order a drink and an appetizer, I suggest a Pu Pu Platter if its your first trip. My personal favorite from the drink menu is a Jet Pilot, but I have a professionally trained liver. If you want to stay on the lighter side, try a Derby Daiquiri (Mai Kai Original) or a Floridita Daiquiri.

When you sit down for dinner, avoid the chinese food from the menu. There's nothing wrong with it, but you will be disappointed because it is only slightly better than you can get from the corner take-a-way.

Instead, order a Steak. What they do to a steak really is beyond words, it borders on the sublime.

No cow? Order the Duck. I LOVE the orange-papaya duck. Half a duck cooked till the skin is crispy and then served with a sauce that will haunt your taste-buds for months as you try and recreate it at home.

No duck? Well, you already said no fish, but I bet the Macadamia Nut Encrusted Grouper could change your mind.

If you haven't stuffed yourself silly by this point, order dessert. Several of them involve fire, taste great, and involve fire. What's not to love?

Or, if your not driving in the immediate future, order a Coffee Grog.... coffee, exotic spices, strong rum, and fire!

If your still standing, take a stroll through the gardens. Look around and look carefully, there are tikis everywhere! Some are big and easy to spot, others are small and if your not looking for them you'll miss them.

Before you end your evening, stop by the gift shop (tell the ladies I said Hi!) and stock up on whatever it is you stock up on when shopping in gift shops..... Mugs, calendars, books, perfumes, you can even get a Uke if you want.

Of course you will want to make sure you have fully charged (or spare) batteries for your camera. Since its a Tuesday night there will probably only be one show so after dinner the place will get rather empty immediately after the show. This is actually perfect for you because you can get into some of the nooks and crannies and get better pictures. And make sure you go into the back dining rooms and see the shrunken heads!

And lastly, as to getting a good seat.... every seat is good for dinner! The only bad seats for the show are the ones right up against the stage. After the show you will understand why I say that.

If your still not sure, tell them your from Tiki Central and they'll know your 'one of us' and will take care of you.

J
JOHN-O posted on Thu, Dec 3, 2009 9:06 PM

Do they still have the Mystery Drink along with the Mai Kai Mystery Girl serving it up? I searched the TC archives but came up short. Also I didn't see a Mystery Drink on their on-line drink menu. If this is still for real, what's the $$$ ??

On 2009-12-03 21:06, JOHN-O wrote:
Do they still have the Mystery Drink along with the Mai Kai Mystery Girl serving it up? I searched the TC archives but came up short. Also I didn't see a Mystery Drink on their on-line drink menu. If this is still for real, what's the $$$ ??

Mystery drink served by the Mystery Girl is still in the offering and still really popular. It serves 4 so unless you are really thirsty or brought along a couple of friends.....

Last I looked it was $45. Don't hold me to that price, I don't really look at the menu anymore when I'm there.

M

On 2009-12-03 20:56, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2009-12-03 18:27, melbedewy wrote:

Do you plan on driving back to Mouseland after dinner? That will seriously alter the drink menu suggestions....

Here is my recommendation for an evening at the Mai Kai.....

Arrive for Happy Hour (5 to 7) and enjoy the Molokai Bar. Order a drink and an appetizer, I suggest a Pu Pu Platter if its your first trip. My personal favorite from the drink menu is a Jet Pilot, but I have a professionally trained liver. If you want to stay on the lighter side, try a Derby Daiquiri (Mai Kai Original) or a Floridita Daiquiri.

When you sit down for dinner, avoid the chinese food from the menu. There's nothing wrong with it, but you will be disappointed because it is only slightly better than you can get from the corner take-a-way.

Instead, order a Steak. What they do to a steak really is beyond words, it borders on the sublime.

No cow? Order the Duck. I LOVE the orange-papaya duck. Half a duck cooked till the skin is crispy and then served with a sauce that will haunt your taste-buds for months as you try and recreate it at home.

No duck? Well, you already said no fish, but I bet the Macadamia Nut Encrusted Grouper could change your mind.

If you haven't stuffed yourself silly by this point, order dessert. Several of them involve fire, taste great, and involve fire. What's not to love?

Or, if your not driving in the immediate future, order a Coffee Grog.... coffee, exotic spices, strong rum, and fire!

If your still standing, take a stroll through the gardens. Look around and look carefully, there are tikis everywhere! Some are big and easy to spot, others are small and if your not looking for them you'll miss them.

Before you end your evening, stop by the gift shop (tell the ladies I said Hi!) and stock up on whatever it is you stock up on when shopping in gift shops..... Mugs, calendars, books, perfumes, you can even get a Uke if you want.

Of course you will want to make sure you have fully charged (or spare) batteries for your camera. Since its a Tuesday night there will probably only be one show so after dinner the place will get rather empty immediately after the show. This is actually perfect for you because you can get into some of the nooks and crannies and get better pictures. And make sure you go into the back dining rooms and see the shrunken heads!

And lastly, as to getting a good seat.... every seat is good for dinner! The only bad seats for the show are the ones right up against the stage. After the show you will understand why I say that.

If your still not sure, tell them your from Tiki Central and they'll know your 'one of us' and will take care of you.

Steak sounds good. That Orange Papaya duck also. Any recomendation on a specific steak? I am staying in a nearby hotel so I can take a cab. I want to have the drink where you keep the mug plus a couple of others.
The flaming cherries desert looks like a definite winner for me.
Pu-pu platter is out since I don't eat crab and can take or leave most egg rolls. My appetizer choices are down to cheese tangs, Javanese beef, Barbecue baby back ribs or Polynesian chicken unless there is something else which might be spectacular that I'm missing on the menu?

Are you going there for the food or for the Tiki experience!?

TD

On 2009-12-04 07:18, bigbrotiki wrote:
Are you going there for the food or for the Tiki experience!?

Just thinking out loud here,but by not offering both, isn't that just 'one' of the ways to get a "defunct"after your listing on the locating tiki page?

It's the "Thinking out loud man" again! :) We have been thru all of that, and I have fully acknowledged that many times, David.

I woke up in a bad mood this morning, and the last question by this Mai Kai seeker just was going a LITTLE too far into the "Gourmet Magazine" genre (for MY taste). Everybody here knows my attitude: It is the ART that makes Tiki Temples different from the rest of the restaurant world. After that, it's the cocktails. And then if the food is good, great.

Remember my foreword to Tiki Road Trip?:

"The criteria for the search of a Tiki establishment are quite different than those for any other restaurant.
Humility in the face of the rarity of the few remaining Tiki temples is a good attitude. Do not expect epicurean sensations, and if you want friendly family service, go to IHOP. This is urban archeology, and if the carpet is stained and the blowfish lamps are mummified from forty years of nicotine, appreciate the place as if it was King Tut’s tomb, it is not supposed to be Starbucks."

Like I said, I fully realize and appreciate the reality that, to survive, any Polynesian palace has to have good food, and ...yada yada yada.
Now I am done ranting, just leave me to my moody morning musings, and proceed in your petty bourgeois interests, please. :)

I am rather partial to the New York Strip as far as steaks. I was never a fan of Filet Mignon, but thats just me.

As for the drinks, skip the Mara Amu... its not that great of a drink and you can buy the mug in the gift shop. That leaves liver capacity for some of the other drinks. And I forgot to mention above, you have to have at least one Rum Barrel!

Of your appetizer choices, I highly recommend the wings! Probably the least 'tiki' of the choices, but the Polynesian Sauce is another one of those things that will haunt your taste-buds for months!

On 2009-12-04 08:43, bigbrotiki wrote:...to survive, any Polynesian palace has to have good food, and ...yada yada yada.

Well, the Mai Kai fits that bill.

Amazing decor. Amazing Drinks (well almost all of them are great). Amazing Food.

All of which explains 53 years of operation with an eye towards the next 50.

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Dec 4, 2009 9:38 AM

I prefer the Nams for an app. Wrap it in cilantro and dip it in the sauce and eat.

Since you are staying and taxi-ing, there are lots of great drink choices, but in one night you can only manage so many. If you are an enthusiast, then you needn't worry with drinks you can more or less make yourself, but try Mai Kai only and unique offerings.

In that vein, I'd definitely go for the Zombie. It is likely the only place on earth offereing this Don Beach pseudo-original. Not nearly as potent as his, so, don't worry too much. Also consider the Black Magic. Same reasons. It is unique to the Mai Kai. You might also go for a 151 Swizzle. I do love the Test Pilot, but it is a strong drink and the Jet Pilot you make at home is close enough. If you intend to go for a strong drink, that is your call on that one. Maybe get it after you eat and know how even your keel is. In the dining room, it will be better, and maybe will set you up for a perfect stroll through the gardens. Be sure to go all the way around into the back entrance in the garden path. Yes, you can enter that door an dgo in that way! Also wander into the back rooms and look around.

In the dinign room I suggest sitting close to the stage, but not right at it. You'll love the show and it's better to be so close you feel it even more.

Bottom line is, explore the place as much as possible. My own policy is to drink strong early, and then feed the alcohol buzz for the evening and go home satisfied. It'll be a long night. You know your tolerance well, but get up and walk around to be sure you know how much you are effected.

On 2009-12-04 09:38, Swanky wrote:...My own policy is to drink strong early, and then feed the alcohol buzz for the evening and go home satisfied. It'll be a long night. You know your tolerance well, but get up and walk around to be sure you know how much you are effected.

There is nothing more fun for the regulars than to watch people order a drink from page 3 and say "This isn't so strong, it doesn't taste like there's any alcohol in it at all." Then, a couple of drinks later they stand up and immediately go face first into one of the various items of wall decor.

Here's my favorites: Get there early and enjoy the specials at the Molokai (half-price drinks and appetizers). Take your first drink (preferrably a Barrel O Rum) and wander around - look in the display cases for all of the vintage treasures. Walk thru the garden and take some pictures - make your way back to the Molokai for the second drink and appetizers - I love the pork tenderloin! Have dinner (prime rib is the bomb - anything cooked in the chinese oven is a winner), watch the show and request to have dessert outside in the garden! After dessert walk around again, you will see more on your second trip - because the first time you wander around it is a bit overwhelming. You can not skip the Gift Shop, your source for mugs, shirts and everything else!

PS - write down where your staying and keep it handy. After dinner and a few drinks it will be beneficial to have a reminder. Enjoy

T

Drink ?

Black Magic
Grandfather Barrel (not on the menu)

The filet Mignon,one of the best I've ever had.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-12-04 10:31 ]

G

Don't forget the Mai-Tai guys. If you don't mind that it's not a Trader Vic's Mai-Tai, but something entirely different, it is a pleasant, light, fruity cocktail that is beautifully garnished and great for the light drinker. That said, hand me a Black Magic or (and?) a Rum Barrel or Jet Pilot please. NOW.

All the talk about the importance of the food though to the overall experience, here's my ranking of importance when visiting a place like the Mai-Kai or a Trader Vic's, etc:

1. The decor.
  2. The music. Always perfect in the Molokai bar, sometimes on in the back dining rooms as a different soundtrack. (If not, ask your server if they will put on one of the vintage Hawaiian or Exotica music CDs they have. They have plenty because Swanky gave them a bunch years ago for the Molokai and I gave them a bunch for the back dining rooms 2-3 years ago.) Let's see, it's December, so you might hear vintage Hawaiian and Hapa Haole holiday tunes too. On some nights you'll get some appropriate live music.
  3. The drinks.
  4. The waitstaff. Always great at the MK.
  5. The food. Often fine, never bad (in my experience), sometimes spectacular (read: steaks from the Chinese ovens).
G

On 2009-12-04 10:23, AlohaStation wrote:
request to have dessert outside in the garden

Now there's something I have never done. Good tip! I'll do that next time. I never eat outside because I can't tear myself away from my favorite inside rooms, but that sounds like the perfect compromise.

T

On 2009-12-04 10:46, GatorRob wrote:
Don't forget the Mai-Tai guys. If you don't mind that it's not a Trader Vic's Mai-Tai, but something entirely different, it is a pleasant, light, fruity cocktail that is beautifully garnished and great for the light drinker. That said, hand me a Black Magic or (and?) a Rum Barrel or Jet Pilot please. NOW.

All the talk about the importance of the food though to the overall experience, here's my ranking of importance when visiting a place like the Mai-Kai or a Trader Vic's, etc:

1. The decor.
  2. The music. Always perfect in the Molokai bar, sometimes on in the back dining rooms as a different soundtrack. (If not, ask your server if they will put on one of the vintage Hawaiian or Exotica music CDs they have. They have plenty because Swanky gave them a bunch years ago for the Molokai and I gave them a bunch for the back dining rooms 2-3 years ago.) Let's see, it's December, so you might hear vintage Hawaiian and Hapa Haole holiday tunes too. On some nights you'll get some appropriate live music.
  3. The drinks.
  4. The waitstaff. Always great at the MK.
  5. The food. Often fine, never bad (in my experience), sometimes spectacular (read: steaks from the Chinese ovens).

Let's not forget the molokai bar waitresses in those TINY sarongs....

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-12-04 11:15 ]

On 2009-12-04 11:10, tikiyaki wrote:

Let's not forget the molokai bar waitresses in those TINY sarongs....

And many many more in the Flickr Pool....
http://www.flickr.com/groups/maikai/pool/

S

Agreed.

I sense a thread derailment :D

Why...it is unquestionably part of the cultural experience! :)

On 2009-12-04 12:38, MadDogMike wrote:
I sense a thread derailment :D

Quiet You! Your gonna scare off all of the Molokai Maiden Pictures!

:wink:

BB

Even a Diet Coke can seem special in the Molokai bar!

T

Too Late.....

M

On 2009-12-04 10:23, AlohaStation wrote:
Here's my favorites: Get there early and enjoy the specials at the Molokai (half-price drinks and appetizers)

Half-price drinks and appetizers?
Hmmmm. If that applies to all the appetizers and drinks (Black Magic and Barrell of Rum seem to be popping up in a lot of recommendations) I may just get there real early and spend some time sampling some different appetizers and enjoying a couple of drinks. Then have my flaming dessert after being seated for the show.

T

Oh YEAH!

I'll have that Jet Pilot NOW! Thortiki

On 2009-12-04 08:43, bigbrotiki wrote:
It's the "Thinking out loud man" again! :) We have been thru all of that, and I have fully acknowledged that many times, David.

I woke up in a bad mood this morning, and the last question by this Mai Kai seeker just was going a LITTLE too far into the "Gourmet Magazine" genre (for MY taste). Everybody here knows my attitude: It is the ART that makes Tiki Temples different from the rest of the restaurant world. After that, it's the cocktails. And then if the food is good, great.

Remember my foreword to Tiki Road Trip?:

"The criteria for the search of a Tiki establishment are quite different than those for any other restaurant.
Humility in the face of the rarity of the few remaining Tiki temples is a good attitude. Do not expect epicurean sensations, and if you want friendly family service, go to IHOP. This is urban archeology, and if the carpet is stained and the blowfish lamps are mummified from forty years of nicotine, appreciate the place as if it was King Tut’s tomb, it is not supposed to be Starbucks."

Like I said, I fully realize and appreciate the reality that, to survive, any Polynesian palace has to have good food, and ...yada yada yada.
Now I am done ranting, just leave me to my moody morning musings, and proceed in your petty bourgeois interests, please. :)

I tend to agree with bigbrotiki. The Mai Kai food is good, but I wouldn't expect to find a Zagat rating on it, and nobody should expect to have the best meal ever.

We have been driving over to the Mai Kai yearly over the last decade. Some of the charm was the black garbage can bag, covering a hole in the ceiling (last check it has now been fixed), or the dust on one of the tiki heads. The place is classic, with outstanding drinks, and a vibe you can not replicate.

We always start with an appetizer, I usually get a Barrel O' Rum to start, then a Cobra Kiss. We end up in the bar afterwards where I have a Mai Tai. The gift shop has some decent stuff, but the main things worth picking up are Mai Kai speficic items be it mugs or a shirt. You can get regular Tiki Farm mugs any-old place. Main thing is enjoy the ambiance to the fullest. It is a vanishing art.

*** Super Secret Lurker Stealth Mode Off ***

Long time lurker here....think this may be my 2nd post ever. Love the site and all the urban archeology.

My wife and I just visited the Mai Kai on 12/9/09, figured instead of starting a new thread, I'd just post on a recent existing thread and share our experience.

I've just posted on Yahoo's restaurant review page, copied and pasted below to save anyone interested the trouble of looking for it.

Copy and Paste

User Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
by howlinowl 12/11/2009
Wife and I visitied Mai-Kai on 12/9/09. I've lived in South Florida for 25 years... 15 in North Palm Beach and the remainder in Port Saint Lucie and am regretting not going sooner!! All those years I could have visited before and wasted them on TGI Fridays and Chile's!! The building and decor are absolutly fabulous!! Started with drinks in the bar and then dinner and show. Drinks were great, Food was wonderful. The show!! Oh man! Wonderful ambiance with the outdoor garden and tiki's abound!! First restaurant in a long time that I've spent hours...HOURS in wondering around looking. We would have stayed longer, but had a hour and half drive back to PSL. Next time...we're getting a motel room and making a night of our visit!!

Uncopy and Paste

As you can tell, we totally dug this place. 'Bout the only thing I would have done different is bring a bit more $$ as we kinda dialed back on the food to strech the budget for the souvener shop!! Peking Duck was calling to me, but I had to obey the Budget. I had the Singapore Chili shrimp and wife had Sweet and sour chicken with Hawaiann rice on the side. Also, I was really looking forward to a "Mystery drink" but since it served 4, and our party was my wife and I (and she's a non-alcohol drinker) and I still had to drive back to Port Saint Lucie....next time it's motel and cab time and I'll have that Mystery drink.
I also left a review on Opentable.com, the site I made my reservations on paraphrasing the above. Any recomendations on other review sites to leave feedback?

howlinowl

*** Super Secret Lurker Stealth Mode On ***

B

can i get an address or link? thanks

On 2009-12-12 16:40, bedslead wrote:
can i get an address or link? thanks

The Mai-Kai • Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pages: 1 30 replies