Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Is this a Witco piece?

Pages: 1 10 replies

Last weekend while perusing my local antique store I found this mask. $20 later I had it at home and thought that it looked strangely familiar. Then I cracked open my Book of Tiki and found a picture on page 8 of a Witco showroom featuring a Tiki bar complete with mask on front. I think I have a duplicate of that mask. Since no two carved pieces are exactly the same, I would expect some variance but the commonality is amazing. The wierd thing is that I cannot locate any identifying marks anywhere on it.

Any thoughts?

Here is the comparison.

Da Monkeyman

MonkeyMan~

No, sorry, it's just some old weird carving. I'll give you your $20 back so that you're not out any money. Just let me know much it would be to send to my location in Huntington Beach.

Juuuuuuuuuust kidding!

Congrats Monkey! But DAMN, I was wondering if there was a "mask only" to match my bar! I guess there is! PLEASE let me know if you find another one! Here is what I have:

WitcoCaddyDaddy

(yes Pop, it should be in "collecting tiki")

SugarCaddyDaddy's Schedule of Stuff!

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-05-16 14:03 ]

You have offended my honor, kind sir, by owning such a piece...I challenge you to a duel..winner takes Witco.. Seriously, I was with a buddy of mine at the flea market this morning (we have a Wednesday one here) and he gets about two paces in front of me and buys a SUITCASE full of 4 Sure 55 "Elvis" mikes and 7 1950's EV and Unidyne studio grade condenser Microphones all mint in the box for 50 bucks! I could have puked, I was so pissed. $1000 bucks easy in that suitcase. Even more desireable to me, as I am a musician and record with vintage mikes.....His hobby? Screwing around with Jukeboxes and Motorcycles...OOOOOOOHhhhhh...IIIII Haaaaates Waaaaaabiiiits....

That story kills me Basement! That is why I never go to flea markets with other collectors. If I do, when I get out of the car I just start running.

SCD, you never told me you had that cool Wico bar! Where did you find it?

Excuse me! But you are all pronouncing it quite wrong.

Drumroll please, (In a GERMAN accent), "VITCO!" :D

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-04-24 00:05 ]

On 2003-04-23 23:10, Luckydesigns wrote:
That is why I never go to flea markets with other collectors. If I do, when I get out of the car I just start running.

Should've seen what it was like when Hula Hula, Floratina and I went thrifting and antiquing together all Friday in Vegas. We would walk in and immediately scatter in different directions. Tina even had the staff at one antiques mall specifically tiki stuff away from us!

On 2003-04-23 23:10, Luckydesigns wrote:
SCD, you never told me you had that cool Wico bar! Where did you find it?

??? Huh? Don't you remember responding to this thread?

K

monkeyman I am dying to woodstain that mask. It'll preserve it and it will look fabulous, damn the preservationists.

Based on everyone's response it appears that I did find a Witco mask. I am not interested in selling it but was curious what something like this would be worth.

Any guesses?

For all the purchases I make that cause me buyers remorse, I would like to use this purchase to offset some of those other occasions.

Thanks

Monkeyman

Oh, yeah. I must've been drunk.
That's why you are the special agent and not me.

"Tina even had the staff at one antiques mall specifically tiki stuff away from us!"

Hey, goofball...perhaps you don't recall that I had the shop assistant bring the tiki finds to the front for you guys to see, too?

DZ

On 2003-06-18 11:55, floratina wrote:
"Tina even had the staff at one antiques mall specifically tiki stuff away from us!"

How does one "tiki" stuff away? I know 'tiki' is a noun and an adjective, but a verb now too? Hmmm...

(Sorry folks... this is what bored teachers do on summer vacation)

Pages: 1 10 replies