Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

King Kukulele's Christmas CD!!!

Pages: 1 17 replies

TM

King, I love this CD! We were playing it at Bill Tapia's 102nd birthday while the guests were arriving. Do you have copies left for sale?

This music is very good, combining the brooding intensity of Mahler with the playful capriciousness of Poulenc. Several themes and variations occur throughout, remnicent of the 12 tone serialism of Schoenberg but grounded with the earthy tones of Darius Milhaud. Featured is the exposition of Ives, yet sharing the alluring vision of Gustav Holst at his finest. As I listened to it, I could not help but be reminded of the final Chorale section of Bach's "passion of St. Matthew", but then the clouds part and the sun shines through, and we are treated to a coda similar to "prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune", which strangely (yet fullfillingly) segues into chromatic and dissonant themes which have the scent of Scriabin.

Oh, and it has DJ Bonebreak from X playing vibes and Marimba on it.

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2010-12-21 09:54 ]

Got my copy yesterday. Perfect Christmas gift for the Tiki faithful ...... . after the presents are opened, a fire is lit in the grate and the Coffee Grogs or Hot Buttered Rums are poured, sit back and listen to the King crooning "Luau In December"..........

On 2009-12-06 10:50, lucas vigor wrote:
King, I love this CD! We were playing it at Bill Tapia's 102nd birthday while the guests were arriving. Do you have copies left for sale?

Didn't SoccerTiki and I give you a CD last year???

TM

You did! I just think this is such a great CD, I would like other people to buy it and enjoy it too! (listening to it at Bill's party reminded me of just how good it is!)

and Lucas,
why do I feel like you really like the cd, and are not just blowing hot air,
as a promo for it.

Jeff(btd)

TM

On 2009-12-07 19:26, bigtikidude wrote:
and Lucas,
why do I feel like you really like the cd, and are not just blowing hot air,
as a promo for it.

Jeff(btd)

Good question Jeff, and I am glad you asked it:

King Kukulele, beyond the humor and vaudeville, is an amazing singer and entertainer. This man is able to make stuff up on the spot, and it always sounds good. He is really very creative and original.
I personally have seen him perform for some crowds that one might think would not really "get" it (Like an upscale Indian-American wedding) and he killed them! They loved it!
His band is a real band. There is no midi, no computers, no special effects. It's music that is the result of years of training and talent, not just the result of being able to afford to purchase said equiptment.

Beyond that, this man is a veteran of the tiki scene, and deserves a lot of respect. He never jumped on any bandwagon. Nope. He actually was pulling the whole damn cart!

I find it sad that he rarely if ever posts here anymore. Unfortunately, the same can be said for several other famous tiki musicians that used to post here, but won't anymore. Sometimes, this forum is no place for musicians unless they are the flavor of the month. To me, great music endures, even without a lot of hoopla or hype. I am sure you know what I mean, Jeff.

S

this is a really fun Christmas CD !

On 2010-12-20 18:47, skootiki wrote:
this is a really fun Christmas CD !

ABSOLUTELY! Get it here while you can! http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/kingkukulele

TM

I still love it! The BEST Tiki christmas album out there! In fact, I was playing this at work during one of our christmas potlucks! And just recently, we played it at the Bahooka anniversary thing!

A

Yeah, I bought a copy for a friend of mine this xmas. Makes a great holiday gift.

A

My daughter often requests one song on repeat - "play that play that play that ukulele... share that share that share that music" (and repeat). Very catchy.

-Randy

P

All Hail The King.

This CD will be played throughout the day, around the Christmas tree at our house tomorrow.

S

bump

TM

As an added bonus, this CD may well have one of Bill Tapia's last recorded performances on it.

S

Fun Christmas CD.....listened to it today as we were sorting through Christmas lights.

T

The only cover version of "Hooray for Santa Claus" I've ever heard, from the coolest Christmas movie ever made.

Just in case you want to collect them all, both Sloppy Seconds and the Fleshtones have done versions of that one before. There are clips on Amazon.

Now back to King Kukulele!

Pages: 1 17 replies