Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

"Tiki Road Trip" book signing and Teitel-schmooze. T-Vic's Emeryville, Friday 4/25

Pages: 1 34 replies

M
mig posted on Wed, Apr 23, 2003 7:22 PM

Hi kids, don't forget, THIS FRIDAY! Details are here:

Friday, April 25, James Teitelbaum will be at Trader Vic’s in Emeryville, CA for his third west coast event. The Emeryville Trader Vic’s staff love the local San Francisco Tiki community, and they are offering discounted Mai Tais for anyone who comes down to meet James and have him scribble on their copy of Tiki Road Trip. Be there from 6PM to 8PM for pupus, Mai Tais, the likely appearance of Tiki Central hardcores (love those guys!), music selection by Otto von Stroheim, and a good ol’ time in the hard-to-get-into Captain Cook Room at Trader Vic’s!

I unfortunately cannot make it. BUT-- afterward, won't you all come on over to check out a fabulous burlesque show? His Royal Tikiness James T. himself is planning to come out for it, and it's just over the bridge. Featuring yours truly as a monkey. Details are at:
http://www.sfburlesque.com/upcoming.htm

mig
p.s. JT if you get this, give me a call: 415-999-6669

Hey, is anyone from TC going to this? I'm trying to figure out if I can muster the energy tomorrow to haul my ass over the bridge for a tiki event.

It's been a long week (we visited family in OC), and I have a funeral tomorrow, so I'll be a little down. But if people are coming out, it might be worth the effort!

I'll be there, but don't let that stop you from coming...

I'll be there, since TV's is within walking distance of my office....

--cindy

M

THe Jab, Tikihag, TIkivixen and some of our friends will be joining me there.--Bruce

M

I will be there with my wife and my attorney who will want to know why JT has plagarized emails I've sent him in his book.

:)

-martin

I'll be there with bells on

and in the absence of bells, pants.

What a great time! It was nice to make it out of my little cave and have some fun. James is a great guy and has a great book. He sold out of all his copies at the signing and left people empty-handed!

As always, it's great to see meet new Tiki Centralites face-to-face ... although I get so confused with the member names I can't keep it straight! Midnite Tiki was the only one I remember off the bat .... ugh, and I didn't even have that much to drink!

~Hanford

M

*Midnite Tiki was the only one I remember off the bat *

Hanford, I wasn't at TV's last night. I believe there is an imposter out there wrecking my bad name. My Mother mentioned the existence of an "evil twin", but I always attributed her comments to the severe disappointment she felt having given birth to an attorney. Could this be related? Hmmmm...me thinks it may.

Well, at least this time the imposter did not stiff anyone for drink bills or throw up on the table. That has been the case, reportedly, in the past with this scoundrel.
I am continuing to hunt down this ne'er do well. He will be discovered, uncovered, and my bad name recovered.

Wait, was I at TV's last night? For some reason my pockets are filled with Menehune sticks, postcards, and TV matchbooks.

Framed...I have been framed! Damn, that imposter guy is good.

midnite

martiki6
Damn I wish I had an attorney to bring along. If I did he'd have to be like Hunter S. Thompson's attorney in "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas". Somebody who knew how to liven up a party as well as provide me with sound legal advice when we we're both no longer able to stand up without falling down.

M

I had a great time at Trader Vics last night and James wanted to check
out my pad. So...if any one else wants to be part of a casual BYOB
event at 9pm at the UGH House in Oakland tonight, email me At
and give me your name, what city you will be
coming from and phone #.---thanks--Bruce

M

The "tonight" I refer to is Saturday night 4/26/03.....
a repeat; I had a great time at Trader Vics last night and James wanted to check
out my pad. So...if any one else wants to be part of a casual BYOB
event at 9pm at the UGH House in Oakland tonight, email me At
and give me your name, what city you will be
coming from and phone #.---thanks--Bruce

--"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit off the little brown bottle in my shaving kit."

--"Where'd you get this?!"

(famous last words!)

--"Never mind, it's totally pure."

Sorry, couldn't help it. I've got Hunter S. on the brain this week.

M

I would like to thanks James and everyone else who showed up at the UGH House party last Saturday night. Thanks for your company and all the libations and snacks you brought.
Tiki Road Trip-is a must read and must own book for any Tiki bar fanatic!!

On 2003-04-29 15:33, mrsmiley wrote:
I would like to thanks James and everyone else who showed up at the UGH House party last Saturday night.

...and Sunday morning! :wink:

I'd like to thank James for showing us some of the photos from his trip, particularly those of the crumbling motels along old Route 66.

--cindy

M

I'll second or third all of the above. Thanks again to the Smiley-Hags for hosting on Saturday. Obviously the place is as wonderful as ever. And it does look like JT is having a great time exploring roadside americana on his book tour.

Friday night was great was well. Good to see everyone again. No Cal knows how to represent. Especially those from the (ahem) Petaluma area, who we always love to see, whose company we enjoy, and who will hopefully shut up about being left out of the loop and start reading the Tiki Events forum!

-martin

On 2003-04-29 17:46, martiki6 wrote:
Friday night was great was well. Good to see everyone again. No Cal knows how to represent. Especially those from the (ahem) Petaluma area, who we always love to see, whose company we enjoy, and who will hopefully shut up about being left out of the loop and start reading the Tiki Events forum!

I'm reading, I'm reading!

I had a ball on Friday as well, didn't I say we should get together every weekend? Craig and I finally put face to name of Tikibot, and discovered that he works in the building next to Craig's. Crazy stuff.

I still think the Tiki Real World, located at that apartments next to Vic's, has real potenetial. Tiki's hot and trendy, I saw it in the Pottery Barn catalog. The time is now! We must strike! All we need is some manufactured drama--say, we all fight over the same Tiki Bob cup or something.

heather
trying to store up energy (and cash) for Caliente

the book signing on Friday was my first ever TC event and I must say you all made me feel very welcome and you guys are great! had a fabulous time and then checked out bruce & enid's pad the next night (WOW!): very very cool (and the goats!)
Thanks everyone and look forward to more TC events...
Jen
p.s. If anyone needs a good gonzo attorney for road trips and/or parties, I have passed the bar in 53 states...

M

"p.s. If anyone needs a good gonzo attorney for road trips and/or
parties, I have passed the bar in 53 states"

thanks for coming to the Ugh House Party. We partied to 4am!! And Hanford showed up!!

I, for one, make it a rule to NEVER PASS A BAR!!

T

On 2003-04-26 19:18, tikivixen wrote:
--"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit off the little brown bottle in my shaving kit."
--"Where'd you get this?!"
(famous last words!)
--"Never mind, it's totally pure."
Sorry, couldn't help it. I've got Hunter S. on the brain this week.

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like “I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive. . . .” And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas."

Lisa, between this and the Python stuff, I think we're losing everyone else here!

H

On 2003-05-01 14:49, tikibars wrote:
Lisa, between this and the Python stuff, I think we're losing everyone else here!

On the contrary, you're getting me cranked up for my own road trip. I've gotta dig out my old Hunter to bring on the road. I've got a Duke action figure from Doonesbury somewhere, I should find him and stick the little bugger on my dash.

T

You may be right.

I guess this means the next time we're all riding the Tiki Bus, I shouldn't leap out of my seat as we pull up to the crushingly crowded, claustrophobic Bamboo Hut and scream, "We can't stop here! This is bat country!!"

Er...

T

Humuhumu, I have one of those somewhere too! Thanks for reminding me! You know, he'd look just fine next to the hula girl and Tigger.

Now if I could only find Obi-Wan.

T

On 2003-05-01 15:18, tikivixen wrote:
Now if I could only find Obi-Wan.

"Well, I don't know anyone named Obi Wan, but old Ben lives out beyond the Dune Sea. He's kind of a strange old hermit...."

T

Hey everybody -

I've been so busy making off-topic Monty Python, HS Thompson, and Star Wars jokes with Tikivixen that I forgot the most important thing on this thread, which is thanking Mig for starting it, and more importantly thanking all the TC'ers who showed up at TVics last week.

Someone said that "No Cal knows how to represent", and you guys really do. Every time I make it west, there's a Tiki posse rolling out the welcome mat. You guys rule.

The Vics management were thrilled with the turnout, and they were asking me if having a regular event (monthly or weekly or whatever) for the Tiki crew would be a good idea. I told 'em hell yes!

Aloha and big Mahalo!

T

Oh, and Mig...

"Teitel-schmooze"?

Back in my wasted youth, the kids on the playground came up with every possible evil mutation of my surname...

I thought I'd heard them all...

Leave it to the gorilla to come up with a new one!

:)

T

Seems I'm the only one still posting here, but what the heck, the thread has my name on it fer lonossake...

Here's pix from Emeryville and the home of Bruce y Enid...

T

Thanks, James! I was hoping you'd post those.

Looks like Jen and I are ready to drop the acid and hit the road for Vegas!

--tikivixen

um ... yes. and by "dropping the acid" she refers to an act which is completely and categorically legal. such a term has been found to be a new phrase meaning: planning a trip, in the modern parlance of our times, and is not to be construed as referring to illicit drug activity of any kind.
Furthermore, I plead the 5th (and 6th, as the case may be).
(don't you know -- we have a secret agent in our midst!!)

M

Planning a road trip? acid?

How long could we maintain? I wondered. How long until one of us starts raving and jabbering at this boy? What will he think then? This same lonely desert was the last known home of the Manson family; will he make that grim connection when my attorney starts screaming about bats and huge manta rays coming down on the car? If so, well, we'll just have to cut his head off and bury him somewhere, 'cause it goes without saying that we can't turn him loose. He'd report us at once to some kind of outback Nazi law enforcement agency and they'll run us down like dogs. Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?

M
mig posted on Wed, May 7, 2003 5:50 PM

Will you guys quit posting pictures of "Hanford"? Some people might start to think he exists...

hee!
mig

T

On 2003-05-07 17:39, martiki6 wrote:
Planning a road trip? acid?

How long could we maintain? I wondered. How long until one of us starts raving and jabbering at this boy? What will he think then? This same lonely desert was the last known home of the Manson family; will he make that grim connection when my attorney starts screaming about bats and huge manta rays coming down on the car? If so, well, we'll just have to cut his head off and bury him somewhere, 'cause it goes without saying that we can't turn him loose. He'd report us at once to some kind of outback Nazi law enforcement agency and they'll run us down like dogs. Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?

My god, another one.

Have we collectively posted this enitre book yet?

We must be close -

BTW, I am missing a portrait of Barbra Streisand, if anybody's seen one....

M

Thread of the dead!

Just found this old picture and thought it was classic so I'd throw it up:

T

On 2003-08-03 23:35, martiki6 wrote:
Thread of the dead!
Just found this old picture and thought it was classic so I'd throw it up:

Thread of the dead, indeed!

Could I look any more wasted, and could Naomi look any more like someone just slapped her on the rump?
(wasn't me, I swear it).

And MOST importantly, what the HELL is Lisa looking at???

Thanks for the pic, kahuna.

A
aquarj posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2003 6:59 PM

4 people looking in 4 different directions - left, right, center, and up. A testament to Bruce and Enid's UGH tiki room, that you can look any direction and find enchantment.

-Randy

Pages: 1 34 replies