Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki and Polynesian-pop inspired neckties

Pages: 1 15 replies

UT

Yes neckties. I had the green one for a long time and found the tapa one today. Now that I have two I guess that qualifies as the start of a collection. Both are vintage and made by Kanaka of Hawaii. You can just make out part of a Tiki near the bottom of the green tie. Both have the feel of bark cloth. Now all I need is a swank blazer to go with the Ties. Does anyone else have any of these neckties? Please post some pics. Thanks

Trav,

When forced to wear the noose, I usually wear the Tabasco Cajun ties.
Here is one that Shag designed and you can still get.

DC

Classic tie ...great print DC .

Mmmm... this could be a use for worn out shirts perhaps.

Nice thread. With the convergence of the handpainted silk tie era (1920s-1950s) and the PolyPop era, there should be some great hand painted tiki ties floating around.

Zazzle is a UK based store that carries 20 or 30 tiki based ties including one designed by TC's own Kiki Von Tiki. I don't know if they ship to the US. They also sell some Maori design ties

(Sorry about the poor quality pic, the website won't let me copy!)

Here are 2 that mysteriously showed up in my mailbox one day...

... and my official International Talk Like a Pirate Day tie ...

-Z

UT

Found another vintage tie today with kind of a tapa look.

BK

Have you always been this much of a "Slave To Fashion", Trav?
I must say, you accessorize, well! :wink:

UT

On 2010-03-06 17:10, Big Kahuna wrote:
Have you always been this much of a "Slave To Fashion", Trav?
I must say, you accessorize, well! :wink:

I am a slave to Tiki. And when the pickings are slim at the the thrift store this picker goes to the tie rack :lol:

UT

Yep. Found another one on one of the slow days at the thrift hole. This one is bark cloth and appears to be homemade.

On 2009-12-08 06:13, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Mmmm... this could be a use for worn out shirts perhaps.

Ties are fairly easy to sew but they have to be cut on the bias (diagonal) which means you start with a large piece of cloth and cut a little strip out corner to corner, leaving 2 less useful triangles (maybe a tapa pattern Hulk Hogan style head cover :lol: )

I found this vintage tie made by Kanaka of Hawaii in a collectables shop last weekend. In very good condition.

I hope to wear it to the office a lot.

Sorry Trav I thought I searched for this thread before I posted :)

I thought this unused clip on tie originally purchased from the International Marketplace was pretty cool

yep, cool tikis. the fact that it's a clip-on makes it better in my book.

Seen any matching tie and dresses for those "dress-up" Tiki occasions?

Hey Mike. I have owned a few shirt and dress combos my wife and I have found. I'm not sure about the tie and dress combination but I'm sure they are out there.

Pages: 1 15 replies