Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

shipping mugs

Pages: 1 14 replies

I've had 2 orders sent to me and both had broken items. The first was 4 shot glasses and a larger mug, all appeared to be wrapped well in layers of newspaper. The large mug was broken. Seller was quick to refund. Today I got a mug in the mail and the bottom was broke, it too was packaged well. Bad luck on my part or have others had problems too? For future trades on my part how do you pack and ship items? Thanks!

BB

Hello Devils Son In Law, there is a whole thread devoted to that here Tiki Mug Misfortunes.

Sorry about your mugs. :cry:

Thanks and sorry for starting a new thread!

BB

Oh That Does It! :evil:

No biggie. :lol:

Unlucky 13 PAGES OF TIKI DISASTERS!!! :o

Ceramic mugs are fragile and heavy, a bad combination. I have been lucky in that I found some styrofoam shipping boxes that fit perfectly inside a cardboard box. Then I stuffed all the extra space with styrofoam chunks, so far no breakage. I also print full sheet "FRAGILE" signs on hot pink paper and taped them to all sides of the box.

If you want, you can use the Patented MadDogMike Shock Detector - Put a dead fish in a glass jar, seal it well and put it in the sun for a week. Pack it with the mug you are shipping and tell the recipient not to accept it if the package smells like dead fish!!! :lol:

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Dec 8, 2009 5:21 PM

i've shipped quite a few mugs and the feedback i've gotten on ebay has been over the top. i guess i've done so much better than everyone else. it probably helps that i'm a collector.

i always bubble wrap the mug, then put it in a box appropriate for the mugs size so it won't shift at all. i then put this in another box full of packing peanuts with at least 3" space around the inside box.

i charge a little more for shipping, ebay keeps reprimanding me, but i feel it's worth it and costs less than insurance and stress.

MN

I think they should be wrapped like in science/whatever class when you had to make
a landing apparatus to keeps eggs intact. Otherwise it is an insurance scam and takes one mug
out of rotation therEby increasing the value of the mug. :/

I've had problems just last week, shippers need to remember that priority box's only work if you put padding around the mugs. I got 3 outa 4 mugs intact

C

I used to ship some mugs which I wrapped in bubble wrap and then used a form fitting Styrofoam insert to keep it from moving. I would have thought you could toss them out a window and not break them. However, the USPS still broke them.

I talked a one mug wholesaler in Hawaii, he only ships FedEx. He says "sure its expensive, but it is fast and they never break anything". He was right. I too have never had FedEx break any of my mugs either.

I always use FedEx and it's not any more expensive than anybody else. And when you factor in the added benefits over USPS, for example, it's cheaper. I always pack things to survive a fall down a flight of stairs, then pray that's the worst any shipper does with the box!

L

Bubble wrap the mug and stick it in a small box then I put the small box in a bigger box filled with Styrofoam peanuts.

I sell a lot of glassware and mugs online and never had a broken item yet.

TD

I truly belive that if you mark fragile on the box ,it is like putting a
'BULLS EYE' target on it.
It is almost like it's a challenge to these f...s to break whatever is inside.

The biggest danger to mugs in when more than one is sent in the same package. Unless they are packed by someone who really knows what they are doing, they will slam together in transit, resulting in a horrible mess. Each mug should be bubble-wrapped and boxed separately, then all put in a box filled with even more packing material.

Trader Woody

Hey thanks for the tiki tips! That was the problem with my packages, multiple items, although I would have packaged them the same way!

Do not use newspaper, use peanuts, always use peanuts, this is AtomicTikiPunks Law.

Pages: 1 14 replies