Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

The Beach Boy - Aloha Room, Newport Beach, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 18 replies

Name:The Beach Boy - Aloha Room
Type:restaurant
Street:353 East Coast Highway
City:Newport Beach
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Found this matchbook, didn't see anything on TC about this place. I know a lot of people on here grew up around Newport... anyone have any info on this place?

[ Edited by: Tiki Shaker 2009-12-10 13:00 ]

The address places this around Bayside Drive & Coast Highway, just as you cross the bridge, very close to where the Ruben E.Lee was.
This was gone before the 1970s, I do not remember it at all, I lived a block away from here when my family first moved to Newport.

I've been intrigued by this place too. All I know is that it had one of the cooler cocktail napkins out there.

This from Mimi's Arkiva Tropika website:

Nice image Tim .Unfortunately I know nothing about this place either .

Some more info from the mysterious Beach Boy. I tried for this menu on ebay recently that has a great photo of the exterior of the restaurant on the front.

The menu also had a picture of the inside, looks like a nice courtyard with palm
trees, lava rocks, water features.....

and a rather unique Tiki in the corner that is shown on Mimi's napkin.

Anybody out there recognize the style or carver??

DC

Nice Tiki....does the sign have the surfboard/beachboy figure on it?

Great A-Frame building. Interesting that that the matchbook and napkin shows the address as 353 and the menu shows it as 535 but probably just a typo.

The May 1992 edition of Orange County Magazine has a listing for the Ellis Island Eatery at the 353 address.

The June 1992 edition has this add.

I remember Ellis Island at that spot, it was short lived and it later became a racing themed restaurant and now it's a car dealership? I think that's the same spot where the Newport Beach Bobby McGee's was.

Wow, what a great building! Tiki Modern. And that Tiki: I was so sure that the rendering on the napkin was pure fantasy, but to find it was actually pretty accurate! I have never seen another Tiki with that kind of gaping smile, and I cannot associate it with any known carver's style, it's so cartoony.
Is the building/A-Frame still standing?

I think the A Frame is gone, I don't remember it being there but on that section of PCH you're usually zooming by so I can't say for sure. How's that for a waffle answer? :lol:

I think that when it was Bobby McGee's it looked like an old house

and here's how I last remember the location as Speedway! which is also now gone.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2011-01-18 10:23 ]

On 2011-01-17 17:19, Dustycajun wrote:
Some more info from the mysterious Beach Boy. I tried for this menu on ebay recently that has a great photo of the exterior of the restaurant on the front.

The menu also had a picture of the inside, looks like a nice courtyard with palm
trees, lava rocks, water features.....

and a rather unique Tiki in the corner that is shown on Mimi's napkin.

Anybody out there recognize the style or carver??

DC

Wow, What a beautiful place.What is it now, a Walgreens ? :(

On 2011-01-18 10:33, tikiyaki wrote:
Wow, What a beautiful place.What is it now, a Walgreens ? :(

No, not a Walgreens. Don't be silly. :(

Interesting logo similarity:

Then there was also this A-Frame, in Salt Lake City:

...one of Johnny Quong's places.

Wonder what ever happened to the trademark tiki that was there ..if it is still
in existence?Here is an image of a tee shirt I saw today on ebay .

On 2014-10-20 13:03, 1961surf wrote:
Wonder what ever happened to the trademark tiki that was there ..if it is still
in existence?Here is an image of a tee shirt I saw today on ebay .

I think I have that T-shirt. Made by ...Lost.

I might be able to get a better picture, but this should work for the time being.

I never thought that it was from an actual image from the past. The tiki is strange, like nothing I have seen before.

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2014-10-21 13:29 ]

This is an original rare paper place mat from the " The Beach Boy " tiki restaurant and coffee shop .This was recently found in a cardboard box in a friends parents attic, and had been there for years all folded.It was given to me because he knew I may know something about the place, as well as he knows I am a tiki nut.I will try and post some better photos after I get some of the wrinkles steamed out.

Cool! Please post a close up of the A-frame rendering then!

I picked up a menu from the Beach Boy that has a rendering of the A-Frame on the cover with the "beach boy" logo (this would also make a good T-Shirt!)

Some nice little graphics on the inside.

And, here is the napkin again from Sabu's post that turned in to a Red X.

DC

You the man, Dusty!
can't believe your able to find these...

Pages: 1 18 replies