Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Albatross Restaurant Del Mar - were there any tikis?

Pages: 1 2 replies

So I recently purchased this postcard. It is of The Albatross that use to be in Del Mar, CA. Apparently it was originally built as a church, changed quite a few times, became The Albatross in the 70s & 80s, and was finally purchased by the city and turned into the city library.

I purchased this because it was local, and it looked like a funky rendition of a nautical theme from the 70s.

After I while, I started looking at it and noticed the cool dude in the top image with the aloha shirt on. I laughed and thought of Jack Tripper. But then I looked over towards the top left. It almost looks like some type of carved figure in that round opening. Tiki? I don't know.

Then I noticed towards the right, there was another odd shape. Tiki? I don't know.

Now as for this giant pot leaf.... yeah, I really don't know.

I know the probability of these being tikis are very unlikely, considering this place was opened right at the time of tiki devolution... but ya never know. Did anyone ever go to this place? Were there any tikis?

T
tallac posted on Sat, Dec 4, 2010 5:29 PM

I watched The Albatros Restaurant being built back in 1971. Had dinner there many times. It was an awesome place! The wait time on weekends was long, but worth it. I cannot believe that it did not survive and closed down. I never saw a Tiki in the place, but the free-flowing wood designs were terrific and the booths were ultra sweet and private. Excellent place I wish was still around.

D

When I lived in Southern California the Albatross Restaurant was a big favorite of mine and many friends. I moved Hawaii in the early eighties. Honolulu is full of Tiki themed bars and restaurants. Over here in Asia not many - notwithstanding Guam and Saipan.

[ Edited by: Donnie 2011-12-25 01:36 ]

Pages: 1 2 replies