Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Trader Vic's, Honolulu, HI, (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 108 replies

I posted this find over in the crypto thread, but think it might belong here as well. i've searched & searched & cannot find any info about this drum mug. It is marked underneath "Trader Vic's Hawaii"
Has anyone seen or heard of this mug before?

Swell mug. Possibly was done by "Rainbow Ceramic, Hawaii." Looks like their stuff.

The husk of the Trader Vic's at the International Market Place around 2001 before demolition.

Thanks Phillip, I appreciate the reply. I havent heard of Rainbow Ceramics before, do you have any other info so that I can try figure out the age of this piece, or pictures of any of their other stuff? thanks in advance!

A

On 2011-01-22 08:53, Dustycajun wrote:
Pretty good photo of the restaurant scene, and you have to love the matching his and hers outfits!

Both couples not only have matching outfits, but also matching drinks!

Here's another slightly different pic of the entrance.

-Randy

An old RPPC from Trader Vic's spotted on ebay with Granny Abbott listed as the owner.

DC

Here is another early souvenir photo from the original Trader Vic's on Ward Avenue that I tried for on the bay.

Not much of a TIPSY factor.

DC

On 2011-10-01 10:27, Dustycajun wrote:

At least they're actually smiling and it looks like they're having fun which is rare in these kind of pictures.

Aloha,

On 2011-10-01 10:27, Dustycajun wrote:

It's always a good thing to see more pictures surface of this place, because there aren't many. I'm sure there will be more Tiki as we start to get a better shots. Also, let's not forget that this locale was opened in 1941, and the real "Tiki Age" in Hawaii doesn't start until 1946 when Donn set's up shop in Waikiki.

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-12-04 16:40 ]

Just got a box of salesmen sample napkins and this one was in there from Trader Vic's International Marketplace:

Aloha,

On 2011-12-15 15:19, SandraDee wrote:
Just got a box of salesmen sample napkins and this one was in there from Trader Vic's International Marketplace:

OH MAN!! Beautiful Napkin. What a treasure trove. I wish I'd had that one to put in Waikiki Tiki!

This shot, while a bit dark, is Trader Vic's at the ITNL.

This one is from Ward Avenue!

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-06-29 15:05 ]

Phillip Roberts maybe when you do Book #2 you can scan it in :)

Just got this nice souvenir menu from the Trader Vic's at the International Marketplace. A great rendering of the grounds.

Close up, you can spot a nice Tiki in the bushes.

The menu.

Now this must have been a poke at Donn Beach "Honolulu's Original South Seas Restaurant" Really?!!!

DC

Aloha,

On 2012-09-27 19:30, Dustycajun wrote:

Now this must have been a poke at Donn Beach "Honolulu's Original South Seas Restaurant" Really?!!!

DC

Well, the Weaver (Spence and Cliff) Brothers still had to pay rent to the Beachcomber...

Great old photo of the outrigger neon sign at Trader Vic's on Ward (seen on ebay).

DC

That is a cool sign indeed.

T

Thought I'd add a menu that appears older than the ones that Dustycajun posted earlier...

The newer menu adds palm trees and the older one has no mug illustrations (but better prices :wink: ).

I grabbed these images from an ebay sales graveyard of an auction that I think ended over a month an a half ago, but I can't find it any longer.

aloha, tikicoma

Here is another photo of the Trader Vic's at the International Market Place from a Spencecliff restaurant guide book.

A 1970's era photo judging by those groovy his and hers outfits!

The restaurant description.

DC

Good one DC...

There is no way to collect all of the past and present tiki mugs and bowls. Just this thread shows me how many we are missing from just one place. Now I understand why some just collect from one place or artist. Wow, what a great thread, Wendy

Aloha,

To answer the Spammers question... 1967 is when the Spencecliff Corporation took over and moved to the ITNL... Which he would have known had he bothered to read the rest of the post (or my book.)

D
Dagg posted on Wed, Mar 27, 2013 9:09 PM

Great thread!
I just love this stuff :)

This cocktail napkin was in a box of Hawaiian vacation souvenirs I found at an estate sale. Based on some dated items from the same trip, it looks like this napkin is from 1966.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2013-04-07 13:37 ]

Found this today
Dated 6/84

Some photos of Trader Vic's in the IMP at the end.....

DC

Spotted this cool old printing press plate from the Trader Vic's on Ward. It was used to make newspaper ads and magazine advertisements.

DC

Sorry. Never mind.

[ Edited by: kenbo-jitsu 2014-07-03 14:36 ]

Here's a great photo of service men in front of Trader Vic's dated 1944 that was on the web.

Trav,

That photo is actually the crew of the submarine USS Segundo on the Majuro Atoll in the South Pacific. They built themselves a little Trader Vic's bar for R & R. You can see the story here:

http://www.operationstormbook.com/us_photos.html

DC

I
IOOAB posted on Sat, Oct 25, 2014 9:45 AM

Here's a picture of an ad for Trader Vics, as well as a couple sample pages from 'Snooper' Honolulu tourist guide, circa 1973.

Cover

Mr. Tiny Bubbles himself

Wahine found this hunting on Oahu

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2016-07-28 20:27 ]

Nice mug Jon, izzat from the Maui location?

Nui umi umi,

That mug is the Hot Buttered Rum mug shown on the bottom left of this Trader Vic's Honolulu drink menu. This Trader Vic's was not affiliated with the official Trader Vic's chain.

There was never a Trader Vic's on Maui.

DC

Found this today in Vegas
Didn't know where it was from
Until...
Dusty to the rescue
Thanx Bruddah :)

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2016-07-28 20:27 ]

Found these on Oahu
:)

Hunting for 5 hrs in Portland
Found this

Two of the same
One in great shape
The other has a lot of chips on the bottom

Suffering Bastard Mug... don't know why I never figured it out before

H

Oy wrong place, picture moved.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2017-01-15 11:30 ]

Hiltiki

Nice photo. That's the Don the Beachcmber in Honolulu not Trader Vic's however!

DC

Wahine found another one

The "Tiki Like" mug
Name on back

I see others listed as Tiki Liki

Found this old news article and photo about the anchor that was placed outside the original Trader Vic's on Ward Drive. It came from the San Francisco Bay.

Vic's partner Granville Abbott (standing next to the anchor) incorporated the Trader Vic's name in Hawaii and bought Vic out in 1941. Here are dueling newspaper announcements from May of 1941.

DC

Wow
DC
U da man

Check out this cool custom plate from Trader Vic's with a great rendering of the building and anchor.

Made by Vernon Kilns for Granny Abbott and Trader Vic's LTD, Honolulu, Hawaii. Again confirming the trademark copyright that Abbott got in the then territory of Hawaii. Sneaky Tiki!

DC

Spotted another old photo of the Trader Vic's exterior and the anchor.

DC

Spotted this old photo of a few excited patrons about to enter the Trader Vic's on ward stroling past the lei stand.

DC

Found this Peeping Tom mug on Oahu

Cool little kids menu treasure map from the Trader Vic's on Ward Drive in Honolulu.

DC

Pages: 1 2 3 108 replies