Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

2009 Was a Landmark Year for So Ca Tiki !!

Pages: 1 5 replies

J

Here's why.....

1. Trader Vic's Downtown LA. This was Tiki Revival done right and was the TV of everyone's dreams. It forgives the misfire of the defunct Las Vegas branch. Its manna is so strong that it brought the NBA championship back to next door Staples Center.

2. Frankie's Tiki Room. Speaking of Las Vegas (which I consider an LA suburb :)), we had this neo-Tiki place open which raised the bar in terms of art, decor, and Tiki atmosphere. Technically it debuted at the end of 2008, but this is the year it really picked up steam and put Las Vegas back on the Tiki destination map. This place is so stunning in its Tiki greatness, that all who enter are rendered temporarily blind (I'm not joking). The Aku Aku Moai in Sunset Park is smiling once again.

I'm saving the best for last. These next two places were like finding buried treasure in my own backyard. Net new Tiki Revival is cool, but to me there's nothing better than an authentic mid-century Tiki bar brought back to its former glory. Heck these two places are probably even better today than they were in the early 1960's. Prior to 2009, I was an occasional Tikiphile (quarterly trips to Tiki-Ti and surfing TC once a month). What brought me 100% into the fold? It was the fantastic cocktails. These next two places serve what are arguably some of the best tropical cocktails IN THE WORLD.

1. Don the Beachcomber. I was always an OC hater but now I'm a convert after having finally visited DTBC. I thank TC for pointing the way with words of encouragement rather than slamming me down. If anyone wants to know what Tiki heaven is like after you die, just visit this place (especially during Happy Hour). The pu-pu's are amazing and the drinks are even better. Kudos to Marie for the consistent quality and subtlety of the cocktails. I used to think I knew what a great Navy Grog, Zombie, Missionary's Downfall, and Dr. Funk tasted like, but her faithful execution of the DTBC recipes raises it to a new level. Thank you Marie, and thank you Art !!

2. Tonga Hut. I think decor-wise, this might be the definitive classic mid-century Tiki bar. As I avert my eyes from the (discrete) flat screen TVs, I try to imagine JFK is in office and Castro has his finger on the Missiles of October. How to cope? I'd like another drink please. And what better time to imbibe than when Kelly's behind the bar. Some of the best tropicals I've tasted this year were her own original concoctions. I like 'em stiff and dry, and her Shaka Hula Bossa Nova and Zorroro went to the top of my list. I've barely scratched the surface but I already consider myself a member of the Cult of Kelly. I just wish NoHo wasn't so far from Samo. The drive is worth it though. Thank you Kelly, and thank you Jeremy !!

Also it was great to meet in person so many people I've followed on-line. I hope to meet more in 2010.

And keep reading my threads because they’re some of the best on TC (even though most of them have nothing to do with Tiki). :D

J

Oh yeah, I would have loved to make this the California state thread and include Smuggler's Cove but I haven't had the personal pleasure to experience it yet.

It's at the top of my 2010 to-do list.

And lest some of you think this is some kind of flaming fan boy post, it's not.

I'm far from it. Actually I think most of the people here are NUTS. But I guess I'm one now too. :lol:

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-15 18:53 ]

I've heard it said many times over..California is the "Land Of Granola" every one there is either fruits , flakes or nuts...while it may ring true...I've met some Darn fine nuts in my time...and if Tiki spells nuts in some obscure dialect..I'm glad to be part of that group. Now if only the rest of the Nation can catch up to Ca. the Land of Tiki , we will all have cause to celebrate...8)

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Dec 18, 2009 9:48 AM

A toast is in order to the private tiki temples of Southern California that were introduced into public view during the banner year of 2009:

RUMPUS ROOM!! WAIKIKI WOMB!! QUEEN KAMEHAMEHA'S DESERT OASIS!! TIKI TERRACE!! and others

Visionary genius, hard work, hands-on creation each and every one, plus the dedication in keeping classic poly-pop elements alive keep the above firmly planted as So. Cal examples for others to follow.

While I support the commercial tiki venues when I can...

I support those individuals who have stepped up and accepted the challenge too.

God Bless the homegrown efforts, Thank You!

On 2009-12-15 18:04, JOHN-O wrote:
Here's why.....

1. Trader Vic's Downtown LA. This was Tiki Revival done right and was the TV of everyone's dreams. It forgives the misfire of the defunct Las Vegas branch. Its manna is so strong that it brought the NBA championship back to next door Staples Center.

It is a great place.

One RIP for "the Luau" in Beverly Hills, although Trader Vics Lounge around the corner is still great, and may be hoppin' with celebs for the Golden Globes, so Tiki may get some good press.

Pages: 1 5 replies