Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Today Exhibition 27 March - 19 June 2010 UK

Pages: 1 37 replies

Hello
I am putting together an exhibition at 20-21 Visual Arts Centre - a contemporary art gallery in the North of England.

Tiki Today runs from 27 March until 19 June 2010 with a special Day and Evening of Celebration on the 5 June.

I'm sure I have approached some members of this forum already (in which case hi!).

But there is still room for more contributors...

I am keen to hear from artists, artisans, crafters, makers and collectors especially of the following;

• large scale sculptures and carvings suitable for outdoors
  • jewellery makers
  • collectors of vintage Tiki artefacts
    to loan work for the exhibition period.

Location is not an issue in most cases.

If you would like more information or are interested in taking part please send details and images to
[email protected]
or contact me via 20-21's myspace or facebook.

You can find out more about the gallery at
http://www.myspace.com/2021_visual_arts_centre
or our official site
http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/20-21

We are also a member of the Own Art scheme which provides interest free loans to make collecting art more affordable and support living artists.
http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/ownart/

I will update this post with a list of confirmed artists and more details soon.

Bye for now.

Tiki Today Exhibition 27 March - 19 June 2010
Day of Celebration Saturday 5 June - for all the family 10-5pm
Evening of Celebration - Drinks, Bands, Burlesque from 7pm.

[ Edited by: 20-21 Visual Arts Centre 2009-12-18 14:21 ]

Well finally, here is an artist list and pictures will follow;

From the UK:
Tiki Racer
Clumsy Punk Designer
Tiki Chris
Melissa Gee
Trader Tark
Simon Kent
David Heulun
Los Furias Tiki
Kristian McLean
Richard Flynn

From accross the pond and further afield:
Atomic Tiki Tony
Sophista-Tiki
666 Photography
Sam Gambino
Derek Yaniger
Perry Drake
Tiki Farm

The artwork will be shown alongside rarities and gems from the personal tiki collections of Trader Jim and Trader Woody.

Tiki Racer is just putting the finishing touches to the branding of the show and then working on a limited edition mug with Cheeky Tiki to celebrate the UK's first exhibition of contemporary tiki art in a publicly funded gallery. A special ultra-limited version of the mug will be available on the 'Day of Celebration' on Saturday 5 June only.

Tiki Today opens on Saturday 27 March 2010 at 10am.
20-21 Visual Arts Centre
Church Square
Scunthorpe
North Lincolnshire
DN15 6TB
England
We are open Tuesday to Saturday 10am until 5pm (Cafe open until 4pm)

The exhibition will be accompanied by a series of events and free creative activities.

There are a few Tiki Central forummers in the show so please feel free to add your pics and links (while I figure out how to!)

and stay tuned for more news soon...

Oooh! The day of celebration is on the eve of mine and Tikiracer's birthdays! Good timing 20-21!

I'm sending these 4 watercolors

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2010-03-18 08:56 ]

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Mar 11, 2010 2:16 PM

Congrats Sophista!!

Lovin-those Seattle flavored pieces :)

On 2010-03-11 14:03, 54 house of bamboo wrote:
Oooh! The day of celebration is on the eve of mine and Tikiracer's birthdays! Good timing 20-21!

Brilliant - I think a Tiki Today cake is in order then!

If anyone is planning a journey to the show email me or send me a message on here with your address and I can send out the North Lincolnshire Visitor and Accommodation Guide along with the gallery bumf.

For accommodation I can recommend the Downs Guesthouse if you like good old fashioned cheap and cheerful B & B's, and it's just a short stroll to 20-21 Visual Arts Centre
http://www.thedownsguesthouse.co.uk/
Tell Allan we sent you.

There is also the usual Travelodge and Premier Inn chains in Scunthorpe who do some really cheap advance deals.

For something a bit more luxurious try
http://www.qhotels.co.uk/hotels/forest-pines-near-brigg.aspx

You can also search on the tourism website
http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/NorthLincs/Leisure/tourism/

If anyone needs any more info about the town and things to do just let me know.

I've seen a few of the bits headed for this show and it looks like it's going to be amazing.

Really looking forward to it!

Got a stack of stuff, most unseen, going up to the show. Some 3D work and new paintings.

Looking forward to the June event.

Need to get back to carving the mug master now...

I just aded one more piece that will be in the show. ( see bottom of my first post with the pics) This painting went to the london Luau a couple of yrs ago and is still there, So they are kind enough to send it on to the new show for me. Thanks Dawn

Here's my work going on display.

First Contact

The return

Marg from the deep

Blue Marq light study

Red Marq light study

Headhunted

Need a bigger canoe

I have a couple of new bits going in, plus a couple that haven't been seen in the UK yet.

Here's a sneaky peak at Opening Night At Mysterio's (Curious Bar From Beyond...)

It's all wood, silver, clay and velvet... Classy!

And, here's a look at the 'flat' version of Doug's First Day On The Job

In the flesh, it's an acetate layer over canvas but that's near impossible to get a decent photo of... So off to the show if you want to see it for real!

Loving everyone's stuff and I can't wait to have a good look around the show, see you there!

Looks like it will be a great show and I hope we'll be able to make the day of celebration.

C

Wow - a proper UK tiki event! Been discussing this with my dude, and looks like we'll be going for the celebration day in June! Just back from a trip to Scottsdale and Las Vegas, where we visited a few tiki bars (most notably Frankie's in Vegas) and we need more tiki!

Sounds awesome - now we just need to book a hotel and tickets and we are there :tiki:

I can't wait for the June event!

It's going to be great to catch up with everyone and meet some new faces... And what I've been seing of the show looks fantastic.

See everyone there.

pics? updates? anyone know?

I don't know if this link will work but this should be the Facebook photo album for the show... It hasn't been updated since the day the show opened but I'm guessing most of the info will come through around the 5th of June when the Day Of Celebration takes place.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=403555&id=116940305470

Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll 'borrow' a few of the images and post them here.

It does look like a great show though and I'll be taking a LOT of pictures when I go up in June.

I think most contributers will be going on the June celebration day, as Scunthorpe is a little out of the way for a lot of people. By the sounds of it, it's a really good show. My small contribution is of various Tiki mugs, posters, shirts, vinyl, and other bits and bobs. There's also a Super 8 of mine from the Enchanted Tiki Room that's been converted to DVD shown on a loop.

Trader Woody

T

Hi
Link is working really fine. I must say some of them were really classic and artistic pictures. I have to tell appreciate you to share that with us. I am an art lover and I used to go for art exhibitions and stuff. So if you have any similar collection then keep sharing with us.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi - Removed spam link - 2010-04-29 23:32 ]

Glad the link worked okay!

I know the show looks a lot different since these pictures were taken... A lot of works and materials got held up in customs on the way over so there's a lot of work and decoration missing in this images. I will take a lot of pictures of the event when I go down in June and I'll be sure to post them... From what I gather, there will be a lot of the artists there for the event so you should see a lot more after June 6th, including a lot of extra pieces that will be being delivered over the main weekend to keep the show fresh.

I just wanted to say a massive thank you to Michelle Lally at Vision 20-21 for organising the show and the enthusiasm and passion she has for a good Tiki... She really has put together a great event with a selection of work from some really interesting and talented people. It's nice to see some people I really admire getting a Government funded forum for their work!

[ Edited by: Los Furias Tiki 2010-04-24 15:51 ]

agreed! Michelle has been great. 3 of my paintings arived with broken glass from being shipped overseas. Michelle was kind enough to get things reframed for me. I can't wait to get updates and see the rest of the exhibit. So excited to be included. Dawn

C

Are tickets for the celebration evening for sale yet? I have booked accommodation nearby - hurray!

Hopefully we'll be down early enough to see the exhibition properly, as it's not open Sunday!

C

I've booked my accomodation too! Am looking forward to it. Love the idea of tiki in Scunthorpe of all places! Any news of tickets to the celebration event itself?

B&B is booked and we are all set to attend (and purchase a mug or two...)!

No word on the tickets yet... Anyone know anything?

C

Yeah I'll be purchasing plenty mugs considering cocktails come free with each purchase (from facebook page:'Tiki cocktails including a specially created 20-Tiki-One punch which will be free when you purchase any tiki mug') - free grog!

Also 'Now with added Hawaiian inspired feast (combined meal/event tickets will be available in April).'

We're stopping in Newcastle on the way down and will check out Tiki-o in the city centre. Proper UK tiki weekender!

It's going to be a bit of a mad dash for me but between work, getting pieces ready for exhibitions over Summer and organising The Return Of Puttiki, I am more than ready for some punch, art and a day of laid back Tiki fun. This will also be only the third show I've been involved in that I actually get to go to, so that's an added bonus for me!

Also, can't wait to get my hands on the Tiki Racer mug for the show... I have a couple of his fine creations already and look forward to adding another to my shelves!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there... Three weeks and counting.

POLYBLEND

Harold Golen Gallery
HUKILAU 2010

Hi everyone
Sorry for the lack of updates mega busy here!

Tickets are on sale now (we was made to install a box office system so it took longer than the DIY approach, sometimes technology is not the answer).

They are £11 all in for the event which included live music, burlesque performances and more.

If you would like the tiki buffet (which I have been road testing goodies from during the last two weeks) that is an extra £11 and needs to be prebooked and will start at 7.30pm.

Just call 01724 297070
Lines are open 10am to 5pm Monday to Saturday.

Will post up the event flyer later.

Evening tickest booked,

Buffet tickets booked,

Hotel pending....

Woo Hoo.

On 2010-05-20 08:03, Pikeys Dog wrote:
Evening tickest booked,

Buffet tickets booked,

Hotel pending....

Woo Hoo.

What he said!

Just booked tickets, trying to sort out B&B at the minute, so will be there on Saturday. Be good to catch up with everyone and see some kool artwork and mug's, etc. Looking forward to it!.

C

All booked up here too - had the B&B booked for a few weeks, just booked tickets for the evening & buffet. Really looking forward to this! See y'all in 2 weeks fellow tikiphiles :tiki:

I still don't have a ticket... But I do have a B&B so I'll be there, even if I have to press my sad face to the window to observe the goings on.

See you soon!

Dont worry, i'll push a tiki sandwich out under the door for you !

Much appreciated!

Perhaps a delicious BLTiki to keep me going?

C
Chrisc posted on Tue, Jun 8, 2010 3:23 PM

Looks like I'm first with photos!
Here are some of the exhibition: I've chosen the ones that came out best

With thanks to the staff at the gallery and the friendly, characterful people of Scunthorpe... a much nicer town than some would have you think!

very nice displays.

wish I could have gone... :(

Well done to all those who made it happen.

C

The displays were fantastic - I just wanted everything, whether it was for sale or not! I managed to spend enough on mugs, magazines, a book plus jewellery and a fab and inexpensive carving coutesy of Mr Pocketiki and the lovely Sian :)

I bought the special metallic Zombie mug from the artist himself, TikiRacer, as well as his special 20-21 super-limited mug (one of ten!) that I'd have failed to purchase, had not mr Pikeys Dog tipped me off :) - mahalo!

The evening was superb, and I'm so glad the exhibition was still accessible, as I noticed new things every time I gazed into a cabinet! The entertainment was great, and the special punch was delicious. Like my precious visits to Frankie's in Vegas, it was all over too quickly. Need more tiki! :drink:

Scunthorpe was so incredibly quiet as we walked from the B&B to the Visual Arts Centre in the evening - virtually the only people around were in aloha shirts and tropical/1950s glam dresses - wonderful!

[ Edited by: cathuna 2010-06-09 12:05 ]

A huge Aloha to everyone I saw at the event and a MASSIVE thank you to Michelle Lally and all at Vision 20-21 for putting on such a great event! I loved every second, from booking into The Downs (Tiki HQ for the event) to painting all day with lovely Clumsy (Kate Hawkridge) and Kristian McLean before letting rip in the evening with some much needed booze and 'controversial' entertainment.

A genuine honor to have work on show alongside SO many talented folks... And, as always, a treat to have my pocket picked by the lovely goods of Trader Jim. I've come home with paint under my nails, a sweaty brow, a hangover and (somehow) SIX new mugs to put up on the shelf AND a lovely canvas from the show to go on the wall!

I have too many pictures to choose from, so here is the link to my Facebook gallery for the whole shebang (140 photographs and counting)...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=197561&id=746978473&l=25720819f8

Skip the first couple of pages of 'How I Made My Stuff' and you'll find all sorts of goodness from the event.

I had a great time and hope to see everyone again soon (if you're not coming to The Return Of Puttiki).

Pages: 1 37 replies