Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Jay Crabb to Smuggler's Cove

Pages: 1 12 replies

Has anyone else heard this? Is Bijou going back to syrup drinks?

Man, I can't wait...this should be pretty damn good.

[ Edited by: martiki 2009-12-23 09:40 ]

On 2009-12-19 09:07, Gigantalope wrote:
Has anyone else heard this? Is Bijou going back to syrup drinks?

Man, I can't wait...this should be pretty damn good.

I don't follow. ?

Jay Crabb was the guy who made the Martini Monkey back when it was a great spot at SJ International. The Airport changed it's layout of the terminal and eventually that bar got moved behind security and unless you had a boarding pass, you could not drink there. (don't know if it's still open)

Jay is the Mgr of Bijou in Hayward, which went from being a rather forgetable spot to a "must visit" in the world of cocktails. It's especially fun on the odd Cigar Wednesdays when you fire up a stogie and contrast it with a Highland or Islay.

The guy is a F-ing witch when it comes to mixed drinks.

A friend forwarded me a text from him saying "Hope you can visit me at Smuggler's Cove" or something to that effect.
If this is the case, I'm taking folks there instead of Bourbon & Branch while in SF.

He makes a drink based on Thai flavors...a kafir lime cocktail which started limey then went to spicey and from cold for hot in mouthfeel. It was served with a companion drink of fresh squeezed pinapple juice, a sip of which cut the heat.

I want one RIGHT NOW in fact.

So...does anyone know of this situation?

According to his Blog he's moved to the city.

I say we quit asking questions and wait and see.

H

Ooooh... that would be welcome news, indeed. Actually, having him anywhere in SF is welcome news, but having him at SC would be particularly sweet.

Not only is Jay a great bartender in terms of drink making, he's also a complete master of bartender demeanor--everyone gets the white glove treatment from Jay. He's an absolute gentleman, and I've never seen him with anything other than a cheery disposition. He's a sheer pleasure.

T

Has anyone tried either of these recipes from his blog?

AN AUTUMN EVENING

• 1 large barspoon of Pumpkin Butter [from Trader Joe's]
  • 3/4 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
  • .5 oz. Sugar Syrup
  • 1.5 oz. Bourbon
  • pinch of cinnamon

Shake and Strain into chilled cocktail glass and dust with nutmeg, or, if you'd like a long drink, strain over fresh ice into a Collins glass and top with Club Soda or Ginger Beer. Yum! A rich, tasty cocktail that evokes the flavors of fall.

PUMKPIN SPICED SIDECAR

In empty mixing glass:

• 1.5 barspoons of Pumkpin Butter
  • .5 oz. Simple Syrup
  • 3/4 oz. Fresh Pressed Lemon Juice
  • 1.5 oz. Matusalem CLassico Rum
  • Add Ice
  • Shake and Strain into a cocktail glass rimmed with cinnamon/brown sugar

Which drink is this? His blog is very long and has tons of recipes.
"a drink based on Thai flavors...a kafir lime cocktail"

This has thrown me off before but how does one deal with a "barspoon" as a measurement. I own a barspoon but are they all really a standard size? Is there a conversion to table or teaspoons? Additionally, I would think the spoonful should be level but how exactly do you go about doing half a spoonful? These recipes look good and I'm going to pick up some pumpkin butter but I don't want to screw up the measurements.

Hey! I just answered my own question. According Wikipedia:
"A bar spoon holds about 5 millilitres of liquid (the same as a conventional teaspoon)."

Well that sure makes things easier.

T

Those drinks look like very tasty Fall drinks. Better hurry before winter comes tomorrow! :wink: And I have had the pleasure of trying his tasty cocktails on one of the Tiki bar crawls. But, since a classic Sidecar is brandy, Cointreau, and lemon juice, I don't understand why that second drink is called a sidecar, since the only ingredient in common is lemon. Sorry, I just have a problem with the use of classic drink names for completely new cocktails.

Oh I hope it's true! I love Jay! Anyone who has had the pleasure of drinking one of his cocktails would be jumping for joy right now if this is true. The martinis he made at the Martini Monkey were legendary.

Jay's an awesome guy too, he's professional and so nice. Our friends used to bring him fresh herbs and he would use them in his drinks.

Oh, bring it on, I'm so there :)

M

[edited to remove question mark from subject line]

:)

Well, that solve that mystery. And I couldn't be more pleased! He'll be (finally) landing at a place where his ideals are right in line with management's!

J

On 2009-12-23 09:41, martiki wrote:
[edited to remove question mark from subject line]

:)

Wonderful news! I always enjoy Jay's company and his cocktails! And here I was thinking that Smuggler's Cove couldn't get any better. Guess I was wrong!

Pages: 1 12 replies