Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Mr. Bali Hai Pilgrimage - Where to stay, where to go in SD

Pages: 1 7 replies

Aloha TC'er,

I have the week off and I decided I wanted to surprise the wahine and take her to San Diego to go to Mr. Bali Hai.

Where are some reasonably priced places to stay in San Diego that would you suggest for a couple of nights?

Also, we would love to do some urban archaeology, so any suggestions on places to look would be great!

Thank you so much for your insight!

CMC

CMC,
The terms "reasonably priced" and "San Diego" don't really go hand-n-hand.

However, in hotel circle the Crowne Plaza were Tiki Oasis is held really isn't priced too bad. I've had friends get good deals there using those discount travel websites like expedia, travelocity ect. There is also the Motel 6 next to it that gets pretty cheap in the winter. This area is a good central location.

I'd also check out Homewood Suites in Liberty Station. This hotel is close to the airport and Shelter Island.

If you feel like going big there is also the Pearl.(thepearl.com) It is a boutique hotel that aint cheap but is within walking distance to Bali Hai. The walk is great. You'll pass Trader Mort's and all of the Shelter Island marinas with the Polinesian style arch we like. I guess if money be dammed then Humphrey's on shelter Is. is worth a mention too. If you stay at the Pearl you will be keepin ir real with the cool kid for sure.

It is also well worth the trip downtown to Mister Tiki's Mai Tai lounge. Yes it is in the middle of the rat race, yes the music may be a tad louder than Bali Hai but Bosko did that place up right! The drinks are no joke either. IMO the most underrated tiki establishment. For simplicity just park at Park it on Market located on Market st & 6th and walk there.

As far as urban arch....I'm sure others can help you out more than I can. Besides Shelter Island, I like the Arby's located at the intersection of Clairmont mesa blvd and Shawine st.
I'd do a search on TC for San Diego arch, a frames and such. There is a tread in here somewhere on SD arch.

Have fun and good luck.
SF

Sorry for the crappy picture

Humphrey's Halfmoon Inn & The Best Western Island Palms offer Room Specials from time to time. The closer you can stay to Bali Hai the better :)

So I came down with a terrible flu and ended up not going, but we will make the trip this spring sometime.

Humphrey's does in fact have a few nice options. If you get the "Drive to Hawaii" package you get 2 nights at 89.00 each night and a nice luau-like dinner. Not a bad deal...

I will continue to research on my own, and thank you both for your insight. :)

CMC,
bummer. Hope you feel better soon. If you are planning to stay on Shelter island you may want to keep in mind the luaus that the Kona Kai (also on shelter island) put on during the summer. Supposedly they are very good.(www.resortkonakai.com/kklander-luau.html).

Late,
SF

Hi - I posted in the thread about the remodeling, but just in case...Sunday Jan 3, 2010 is the last day Bali Hai will be open before the remodel. They'll be closed starting Jan 4th; sounds like they won't reopen until March.

[ Edited by: bamalamalu 2009-12-30 17:07 ]

I higly recommend Paradise Point on Vacation Road in Mission Valley!
Every room is a bungalow, and it feels like Aloha land, even if the beaches are not quite the same.

I love Paradise Point!

Pages: 1 7 replies