Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

How to Cut and install Lauhala Matting?

Pages: 1 24 replies

I gots me a 50' roll of lauhala and I'm looking to install it soon.

So how does one go about cutting lauhala matting accurately(ish)? Should I be duct-taping it where I'm gonna cut it? And then duct tape it again to keep it from falling apart?

And what should I use to cut it? Box-cutter knife? Utility knife? Electric tin-snips?

Also.. what would you use to put it up on a drywall surface? I'm thinking staples and caulking gun construction glue...but I'm willing to entertain other methods.

Mahalo for any input.

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2009-12-27 19:49 ]

P

duct tape will probably leave a residue. masking tape should work fine. a good sharp utility knife and a heavy straight edge. don't use a cheap utility knife with a single blade. you'll hate yourself. get either an olfa with a snap off or another kind that has cartridges so you don't have to replace the blade every few cuts.

good luck!

Hello there my good Mr. Ferret :)
What worked for me was to use Gaffer tape where I was planning to make the cuts.(a strong cloth tape used in video/film production that adheres nicely but also tears easily in a straight line -- both horizontally and vertically. It also leaves little or no residue)
Masking tape just didn't seem to want to stick to the matting well enough for me (but it might just have been a cheapo roll).

Anyway, once I glued the matting onto the wall, I tore the width of the tape down to a narrower width where it would not be seen beneath the bamboo ot trim that covered the seams or ends.

Also--I applied the tape to both sides after measuring and marking the cut and it really helped to keep the shape and minimize the shifting of the weave that can occur when you cut a piece down to size.
Hope this helps :)

T

Elmers glue.
Yep thats what I use.
You put the glue where you want to cut.
Put the glue on both sides and over lap your
cut by 1 inch or so. Kinda smash it in real good.
When glue dries you can cut with scissors.
The glue holds all in place.
I now cover all with shellac.
This helps hold all in place even more.
And this will help keep out mold and must smell.

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2009-12-28 10:49 ]

S

What he said. I have always just cut with a utility knife over cardboard or something and use some straight edge. Staple it up. You can add adhesive to the back as well, but it has mixed results unless you can get it on thick and keep some pressure on it. As for taping it up, I have not done that at all. It will only be affected at the corners as far as falling apart. A little care. But it also depends on your installation. In most cases, the edge of the matting will get covered and so a clean line is not too important. And a couple of staples in the right place keeps it intact. Ideally you are not cutting anything but length, so you have a lot less to worry about than when you start cutting pieces around door frames, etc. That's where you need a little more care.

Mahalo for the information folks! I've got it up and it's looking great. I use tin snips to cut and construction glue with a whole bunch of staples to put it up. It t'was a whole lot easier than I thought it was gonna be.

Don't forget that you can collect all the bit o' pieces of matting that fell on the floor and place them to hide your staples if needed. Just weave them back into the matting.

pics pics pics!!!! lol!! cheerz!!

On 2009-12-29 17:33, TikiMango wrote:
Don't forget that you can collect all the bit o' pieces of matting that fell on the floor and place them to hide your staples if needed. Just weave them back into the matting.

A damn fine handy hint! Thanks!

On 2009-12-29 17:33, TikiMango wrote:

A damn fine handy hint! Thanks!

And if any staples are still showing after you weave in the bits.... take a fine point sharpie and color whatever part of the staple still shows.

And...

Pix! Or we ain't believing you finished the project.

OK. A few pix:

M

Looks great!

J

I have a question along these lines:

When you cut and attach the matting to walls, how do you account for outlets and light switches on the walls?

On 2010-01-02 17:32, JackLord wrote:
I have a question along these lines:

When you cut and attach the matting to walls, how do you account for outlets and light switches on the walls?

J

Tnanks BB, but not possessing your talents, could you please elaborate. What do I do with the painters tape?

That's a pretty good question. Anyone know the answer?

T

All you are trying to do is keep the matting
from breaking up when you cut it.
So you take the tape put it all over the area
that you are going to cut (back side only)
then cut, the tape keeps the matting from
falling apart.
I use glue to do the same thing.
The tape would be faster though.
Next tack in place with staple gun.

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Jan 11, 2010 3:54 PM

Ditto! The matting looks good Slacks...

T

"how do you account for outlets and light switches on the walls?"

I know this is the hillbilly way but I cut the piece to fit wall space.
Then I put butter on the outlet or switch hole make sure you
got enough to stick to the matting when your put cut piece to the wall.
Now place cut piece to the wall to mark outlet.
Pull cut piece back and the butter stain will show you where to cut.
Cut hole smaller than mark so that you can get it just right when you put up matting.
I'm sure some people just feel for the outlets and cut out hole after matting is up.
Or you could measure twice and cut once. But I could never get this one right.
Good luck!!!

I use the blue tape to remind me where the outlets are.

So, I can cut them out later.

I've never had a problem with Lauhala falling apart by itself.

Be nice to it and it'll be nice to you back.

Butter sounds interesting!

Rock on Slacks!

T

When I cut Lauhala matting I'm cutting a two foot wide circle
or something in a smaller range like that.
And a lot of times it's the small weave I use.
This I use for lights or to make trays.
When you cut this stuff small like that it does break up, it goes everywhere.
So I gule it in that case.
Have never put Lauhala mat on a wall myself.
The butter trick I use on drywall.

For our room, we didn't really have any trouble with the lahala falling apart. Taped the backside where a cut would go and then cut with regular ol' scissors because it's pretty thin stuff. Then came the aging stain. Used contact cement (3M? can't remember) to put it up. No staples. Just rolled it on with a paint roller and it sticks like a champ. For outlets, yep, marked them with blue tape and went back and cut out the holes. Pretty easy stuff do deal with.

Ceilings are an entirely different matter though, requiring a stable ladder, a good sense of balance and a strong marriage.

I think Tikiship got what I was asking the best.

I was not worried about the matting falling part- but its good that has been brought to my attention by BB and others. I was wondering how you would cut a piece and then know where to cut the holes for the outlets and switches. While you can probably feel through the matting, sticking a metal blade towards an outlet would be...insane.

Anyway, the butter trick should do it.

Thank to all of you. My education continues.

Pages: 1 24 replies