Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

About Dying, Tiki and an Urn

Pages: 1 14 replies

I'm a new member from Sydney and did check the search function but surprisingly didn't get a hit.
I am 59, thinking of that final mai tai and what has to bedone with the cremains after my tab runs out. What I'm talking about here is obtaining a vessel for the ashes, something that would hold about the equivalent f a quart or two of liquid that might be a decanter or an actual urn with a lid. I can always get a cork!

Any ideas folks? No rush (I hope!) but am wanting to make sure it isn't a box my wife picks out!

Phil Tripp [email protected]

Any large vessel would do... but wait a minute... here's a whole new market for tiki designers! "Ashes For Pele" or "Sail-Off Outrigger" or "Kick The Bucket Three-Faced Bucket" (Sorry, just having TC fun.)

J

Interesting idea. Here in California, there are several Tiki bars where you can leave your mug. I guess if you could find an urn which could pass as a Tiki mug (or vis versa), here you could spend eternity on the shelf of your favorite Tiki bar. Just make sure it has a sealed top, otherwise you might accidentally be the "secret ingredient" in someone's drink. :)

Hmmm . . There likely won't be a huge market for this sort of thing, but there IS a market. It's a fun idea! I don't think there are currently and decanters large enough, so custom-made is the way to go. Something complete with your name and maybe some info embossed into it? Maybe something for VanTiki to consider?

Suffering Bastard decanter.

What about the spaceship? Too small?

M

My ashes will be scattered off Waikiki so I can't do what I'll suggest, which is to have your ashes mixed with clay and molded into whatever you choose, like a large inscribed tiki mug so you can be remembered, still be fun, and of much worthwhile service long after your gone, 50 years from now.

Cheers, and okole maluna!

Welcome to TC Phil, cool idea (althought I don't think I can talk my wife into it :) )

There are at least 20 ceramic artists on TC, ranging in degrees of skill, fame and expense. You could commission someone to make your "urn". It could be something you design or a large lidded (with a gasket) container based on a classic tiki mug.

Have fun!!!

Tiki Farm's APE Cookie jar is large enough, I have mentioned more then once to my wife, I would not mind that being my final resting place.

I would have to go with the Trader Vics Hot Buttered Rum Barrel, it's classic tiki, large, and if you want to transport your remains to be buried at sea all the better with the nautical theme.

And it would be ironic, if you died in a Hot-Butter accident.

On 2009-12-29 15:00, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
And it would be ironic, if you died in a Hot-Butter accident.

Ummm . . long pig.

W

Going custom you could have a usable decanter made from your ashes and clay so folks could pour the spirits right out of your Earthly remains.

Or a usable Tiki drinking vessel which houses your ashes in the base with the motto Have A Drink On Me inscribed on it somewhere. (This would be extra nice if it were at a public bar with an endowment left to pay for a drink for anyone who knows what...Or who...to ask for.)

But if you want something more practical a custom wood, timber bamboo, or ceramic "urn" could probably be made for the around the same price as medium range standard urns go for.

Thanks for all the great feedback folks. The idea of incorporating ash in the mold is good but unfortunately, it would take longer than the ten days between chill and char, I figure I'm going to go for the custom made option but am also looking at a carved one. It's fairly easy to saw off the top part and then cut a hole down the trunk then capping with a disc of the same diameter made from the top bit.

At least y'all have been funny about it and not morbid.

Just saw this today on Tiki Talk:
Robert Olszewski Tiki Room Tiki Drums Heirloom Box

http://tikitalk.astropad.com/archives/robert-olszewski-tiki-room-park-exclusive-merchandise/

Pages: 1 14 replies