Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

old weathered tikis in the garden

Pages: 1 13 replies

J

We always see tikis in brand new shape, but they can be interesting when left to the elements.

• JP

[ Edited by: johnnyp 2010-01-02 16:48 ]

K
kirby posted on Thu, Dec 31, 2009 3:38 PM

I agree these pics are very interesting to look at, but is there a story behind them?

J

No story really, these were some of my early chainsaw only tikis that I left outside totally exposed to the elements for several years. We have had a couple of really wet summers. This fall when the plants died back and the tikis came out of hiding from behind the plants, it struck me how far they had deteriorated over the summer. In a way it was neat to see how much of the garden they became, it looked like they were always there, not just set in place. Strangely I wasn't disappointed to see this, but more intrigued. These were rather rough tikis to start with, but time and weather have eroded them to a more primal look. A look I was initially after but unable to achieve then. They also reminded me of a few of the photos Sven put into the BOT.

They stood out as such a stark contrast to the brand new and polished tikis seen here that it just seemed a different new perspective.

L
laojia posted on Sat, Jan 2, 2010 1:15 AM

On 2009-12-31 15:17, JohnnyP wrote:

This one seems really coming from PNG... An almost true antique with aging accelerated by the climate of your country ... Very impressive!

J.

A
amate posted on Sat, Jan 2, 2010 5:49 AM

I really love the look of these carvings. I have been trying in vain to come up with a finishing technique to reproduce this look. Now I know how to do it. :lol:

J

They do have a very appealing, distressed look. Could you preserve this stage of appearance with varnish or something?

That is brilliant. Mother Nature does what we can't do.

B

I guess that set really takes you down memory lane, I see severqal years of progress there like your school photos starting back in early grade school. Thanks Johnny!

A
AKUAE posted on Fri, Jan 8, 2010 8:16 AM

absolut great photo shoots
great

T

Cool stuff. It would be really neat to see one of these cleaned up and lightly stained with a clear coat or two. Or maybe with a few brand new embellishments and then refinished.

Way to rot those suckers Johnny! Ha ha! I love the ones swallowed by vegitation. Thanks for sharing these cool pics.

S

Really cool they look great weathered i think.

B

That's a great look for some already nice work.
I'm gonna run outside and bury all my carvings! :)
Thanks for posting.

Bowie

I love it!
It reminds me of some of the totem poles I saw in British Columbia. And I heard the natives let some of the totems deteriorate in the woods, making them more fierce looking. Absolutely a style to consider.

[ Edited by: el Stingray 2010-01-15 06:36 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies