Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Composite Hook Madness 24 Jan

Pages: 1 8 replies

F
flynny posted on Fri, Jan 1, 2010 1:19 AM

Hi Guys

Be Nice

Here are my first carves in wood. Just had our VW Split Screen Van bare metal resto'd. We are having a Tiki theme to the bus which already has bamboo and Rattan on the units. So I decided to carve some Tiki stylee things to go in the bus.

Although the carvings have a Tiki style, I have struggled to accurately reproduce some of the detail I wanted. There are no books and despite researching stuff I couldn't find any help on certain techniques and carving styles.

First up a tiki Bus sign created from an old oak fielded panel, relief carved and acrylic painted will go on the inside of the cargo door.

Second up a Hei tiki carved from Lime, Paua shell eyes, small jade Tiki, to go on the opposite cargo door.

Third up a larger Maori carving to go against the kitchen unit, Lime, Jade eyes and Paua shell eyes for the smaller face and mouth.

Last up Hawaiian figure, Sapele offcut, splintered all over the place, hate the finish so will try and dull the varnish off. WIP

Sorry I have not posted much lately, i have some Jade pieces that I will post soon. Happy New Year to all Tikiphiles and thanks for brightening up an otherwise dull UK winter.

Thanks for looking
Best Regards
Flynny

[ Edited by: flynny 2010-01-24 06:54 ]

B

Greetings and Happy New Year Flinny and Also Welcome Back, it's only been a couple months so you aren't too out of date. Your carvings are Wonderful the Hei-Tiki is even Wearing Hei Tiki. Your Bus must be the Most Proud one around with all these goodies Thanks for sharing.

flinny nice to see yeah again!! looks like u been busy!!! very nice carves!!lovin the hei-tiki!!! keep it comin !!happy new years !!! cheerz!!

vw bus you say? - I am working on a tiki theme for this one -

74 westy pop top

it will be minimal like matting on doors and bamboo flooring and maybe some shifter and door lock tikis.. looking forward to it hope fully spring..(or actually summer)

L
laojia posted on Sat, Jan 2, 2010 1:06 AM

Congrats for your first wood carving Flinny! The hawaïan is very successful...Can't wait to see the bus finished!

J.

F

Hi Guys
Some Hooks that are nearing completion

Mammoth and Jade

Whale Bone and Jade

Mammoth and Jade

Ebony and Jade

Thanks for looking
Regards
Flynny

P

wow, you've gotten really good. very nice stuff.

B

Welcome Back Flynny, you've been about as scarce as I've been here. Love the new hooks with the different materials, nice ideas.

T

Very nice. Love the combination of materials.

Pages: 1 8 replies