Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Tiki Painting By Yours Truly on Ebay

Pages: 1 8 replies

Did this painting a while back and could really use some extra cash while hopefully giving someone else a chance to enjoy this in their home.
Inspired and I guess basiclly an enlargement of the Kauai Surf matchbook cover.
But it is a painting not just a photocopies blow up.
So please don't rag on me for it, I beg you please please please don't rag on me!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Tiki-Inspired-Painting-Tiki-Modern_W0QQitemZ140371176099QQcmdZViewItemQQptZArt_Paintings?hash=item20aec62aa3

:lol: Why did you think we would rag on you?

Just have had people jump down my throat in the past.

Are you psychologically fit for people to LAUD your work then? :)

I just have to say that that Marquesan Tiki has always been one of my favorite mid-century modern Tiki designs. What a great motif for a painting!
But if you want to really sell this piece, as an unknown artist, in this depressed market, here is some friendly advice:

A.) re-photograph the painting brighter, and sharper, against a light colored wall. One cannot see how the frame separates from the wall. And ad a wide-angle shot from the side, so the frame looks more dynamic, and maybe one can see the texture of the canvas or your paint strokes. And then ad these new photos to your first post above, more folks will click on the link once they will see your piece here.

B.) Ad some history and context to the piece. Here are some images you can clip:

This mask was sort of the logo Tiki of the Kauai Surf. We can see it on the cool ceramic tube lamps in the lobby:

(here a close up):

...and it graced the front desk, as can be seen in this on-location still of Hawaiian Eye:

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-01-04 20:24 ]

Classic Sven .I have that lobby postcard , and have always liked those MCM lamps.
Sure would like to know where they ended up.You are right though Sven lighting
and background contrast is everything and not always that easy to photograph

On 2010-01-04 14:23, bigbrotiki wrote:
But if you want to really sell this piece, as an unknown artist, in this depressed market, here is some friendly advice...

Apparently, there is no interest in really selling this piece.

TD

quote"This mask was sort of the logo Tiki of the Kauai Surf. We can see it on the cool ceramic tube lamps in the lobby:"
are you sure those were ceramic? they must have weighed 60-70 lbs each.
and not provide any light except,strait down task lighting.
maybe they were glass,or even plastic.

Nobody said that modernism ever was practical! You think they might have been.....resin!? Ooooh....
But that would have been equally as heavy. Just judging by the pattern, it looked like a ceramic glaze to me, but I actually have no proof of that. Wish I'd own one, then I would! :)

I have been working 12hr shifts an hour away from home so after the original posting I have not had any time to re-shoot the painting or anything else. If in the future I do make another attempt at selling I will take some of your advice.
Thanks for the input.

Could the shades maybe be painted Fiberglass or Canvas?

Pages: 1 8 replies