Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

4 tiki related bands playing this fri. in Mar. Vista So. Cal.

Pages: 1 26 replies

OK...all you TC peeps that have attended and enjoy Spermy's amazing parties...
here's your chance to give back with a very easy, inexpensive gesture.
Show up for his show at Timewarp Music on Friday, Jan. 8!!!!
It's convenient...on a major street in the heart of LA right off the 405.
It's cheap...only $5!!!
And, most importantly, it's probably one of the few times that all the bands on
the bill have some kind of Tiki connection!
So c'mon, let's show The Sperm Whale our support and turn this mutha into a
full-on TC party!!!!
Jeff(btd)

ok so this isn't a tiki event, or at a tiki venue.
But I was asked to post it here.

The Karma Dealers are a newer band that has Maxwell(drummer for Blue Hawaiians)
The Hard Riders is a Newer band feat. Scott,(aka TC's Spermwhale or Spermy)
The Ding Dong Devils,Garage/Exotic music,who were very prominent at this past years Tiki Oasis.
and The Insect Surfers, who have played at The Purple Orchid many many times.

WHO:
8:30pm Karma Dealers,
9:30pm Hard Riders,
10:30pm Ding Dong Devils,
11:30pm Insect Surfers

WHAT: live in a music store

WHERE:
Timewarp Music
12257 Venice Boulevard
Mar Vista, CA 90066
(323) 600-5050

URL: http://www.timewarpmusic.com/
COST: $5.00

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-01-08 10:47 ]

Hell Yeah !!! Thanks Jeff !!!
I am glad The Hard Riders are included in this eclectic show!!!

its an Electric show?
you mean your not all playing Acoustic?

oh sorry you said Eclectic.
:wink:

yes its very eclectic.

Jeff(btd)

C

Thanks for posting this BTD!

It's also Elvis' birthday, so the Ding Dong Devils will be doing an Elvis song--and we promise it will be one from his mid-60's exotica movie heyday, when his band was all ELECTRIC. Not that early crappy Sun Records acoustic period when he and the bass player's instruments weren't even plugged into an amp, and they didn't even have a drummer!

(As well all know from the times since MTV Unplugged, the definition of acoustic is now a singer playing an acoustic guitar with a pickup going into an amp, an electric bass player turned down real low and maybe even playing a hollow body bass--and of course no drummer, just percussion, because if there's a drum set it is considered an electric set, because it's well known by all good sound men that you can't have a drum set on stage without a) miking the "kick" drum and b) turning it up to volume louder than anything else.)

Just funnin' -- looking forward to seeing everyone who can make it Friday, and engaging in some eclecticism with the Sperm Whale and company!

my pleasure sir.

Jeff(btd)

J

Finally an event on my side of town !! I may have to check this out since I'm scrapping my Mammoth trip (FYI, no TC apres-Ski at Lakanuki this Sat). I haven't seen the Insects since the days of "The Garage" in Silver Lake. Will TC be out in force to support the Hard Riders (and the DDD's)?

I'm assuming there's no bar so I'll have to get fortified at Good Hurt next door (as long as they're not charging a cover).

Too bad the Tiki bar at nearby Mar Vista Bowl is ancient history. I think there's still a Tiki outside so be sure to pay your respects.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-01-07 21:51 ]

I just bowled and drank in the bar yesterday. You can tell that the bowling alley used to be pretty awesome back in the day!!

TM

On 2010-01-06 11:36, congawa wrote:
Not that early crappy Sun Records acoustic period when he and the bass player's instruments weren't even plugged into an amp, and they didn't even have a drummer!

You were joking, right? (I hope so!)

Otto's E-mail that he sent out about the gig:

Friday night, Jan. 8
Timewarp Music(one of the coolest vintage musical instrument stores around) 12257 Venice Bl, LA 323-600-5050

An unusual 6 degrees of Tiki separation will occur:

Start at Tiki tOny's show (which ends conveniently at 7)
and then head on over the hill to the Westside to witness 4 bands for $.80 cents each!!! That's right--$.80 each ($5 folks).

8:30PM Karma Dealers (Featuring the incomparable percussion skills of none other than Maxwell of Tiki Oasis faves The Blue Hawaiians)

9:30PM The Hard Riders (Featuring Tiki Central's own The Sperm Whale)

10:30PM Ding Dong Devils (Featuring Brent, formerly of legendary surf/garage band Del Noah and the Mt. Ararat Finks. DDD played 2009's Tiki Oasis Car Show)

11:30PM Insect Surfers ("Planet Earth's Longest Running Surf Band" Featuring one of the earliest Tiki News friends and subscribers Dave Arnson, Dan Valentie of The Boardwalkers, Adrien Anthony of Chum, and Jonpaul Balak of The Tikiyaki Orchestra, The Boardwalkers and Tiki Magazine).

This one is sure to be a night to remember!

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-01-07 21:17 ]

OK...all you TC peeps that have attended and enjoy Spermy's amazing parties...
here's your chance to give back with a very easy, inexpensive gesture.
Show up for his show at Timewarp Music on Friday, Jan. 8!!!!
It's convenient...on a major street in the heart of LA right off the 405.
It's cheap...only $5!!!
And, most importantly, it's probably one of the few times that all the bands on
the bill have some kind of Tiki connection!
So c'mon, let's show The Sperm Whale our support and turn this mutha into a
full-on TC party!!!!

Jeff(btd)

J
JOHN-O posted on Thu, Jan 7, 2010 9:51 PM

On 2010-01-07 11:52, JOHN-O wrote:

Finally an event on my side of town !! I may have to check this out since I'm scrapping my Mammoth trip (FYI, no TC apres-Ski at Lakanuki this Sat). I haven't seen the Insects since the days of "The Garage" in Silver Lake. Will TC be out in force to support the Hard Riders (and the DDD's)?

I'm assuming there's no bar so I'll have to get fortified at Good Hurt next door (as long as they're not charging a cover).

Too bad the Tiki bar at nearby Mar Vista Bowl is ancient history. I think there's still a Tiki outside so be sure to pay your respects.

UPDATE...

Drove by Mar Vista Bowl earlier this evening (just a block east of Timewarp). Yes, the Tiki is still there. BigBro documents the place in Tiki Modern (pgs 114-115) based on its former Tiki glory. Cheap drinks in the dive bar cocktail lounge. Good Manna.

The Good Hurt will probably have a $5-$10 cover charge. Potential douchebaggery on weekends. Bad Manna. (But it does have a friggin huge sign to locate next door Timewarp.)

Here's some additional JOHN-O Westside wisdom. The Mitsuwa Marketplace (just a block west on Venice) has a Japanese food court. The Santouka Ramen counter there has THE BEST RAMEN IN LOS ANGELES !! The food court used to close by 7:30pm but I'm pretty sure they extended it to 8:30pm.

See you at Timewarp !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-01-07 22:28 ]

On 2010-01-07 18:24, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2010-01-06 11:36, congawa wrote:
Not that early crappy Sun Records acoustic period when he and the bass player's instruments weren't even plugged into an amp, and they didn't even have a drummer!

You were joking, right? (I hope so!)

Lucas - I said the exact same thing (out loud) as I read congawa's post. I think he's just messin' with us though. If not, let's take him. I've got your back. :wink:

So who's going?

I'm all over this gig,
like there was a question, right?

Jeff(btd)

bump for tonight
Jeff(btd)

one last bump, 1 hour away.
get yer butts over there and support our tiki bruddahs.

Jeff(btd)

OK, I'm in.

I'll be there as close to start as I can although traffic & cocktails at the Mar Vista Lanes bar might delay me slightly.

Thanks to all that came out!!! There was a pretty good turn out last night. It was really alot of fun !!! All of the bands were freaking GREAT !!I hope we can all do another show again someday. I really don't advertise "The Hard Riders" shows on here at Tiki Central because we are a Punk band not Tiki !!

So if anybody is interested in the band I am in just visit http://www.Thehardriders.com or go to http://www.myspace.com/thehardriders

RIDE HARD!!

that was a fun show last night.
I think we got about 15 tiki peeps there.
good job thanks everybody.

overall turn out was around 50 or so.

Jeff(btd)

J
JOHN-O posted on Sat, Jan 9, 2010 1:10 PM

JOHN-O's Show Review

Started out the evening at Mar Vista Bowl to get fortified. This place is a Tiki destination in itself. Not only does Bigbro document the place in pgs. 114-115 of Tiki Modern but there's an actual vintage Tiki outside. The cocktail lounge there, while not the original Tiki bar of past, is a fine place for cheap drinks amongst an interesting group of regulars. There I had several drinks with Dave and Rebecca of Purple Orchid, Sperm Whale, Crazy Al, and Big Tiki Dude.

From there it was a short walk down to Timewarp. It's a really cool space to see bands perform inside a guitar store. Caught up with RoseRed who made the trek out from the SFV.

The first band up was the Karma Dealers, who played a great set of blues-inspired garage rock. Sorry, I was still buzzed from the Wild Turkeys so I forgot to pull out my camera.

Next up was the Hard Riders featuring TC's Sperm Whale. This was the first great surprise of the evening. I don't know why, but I just assumed they were going to be a surf band. What they were however, was an old-school (2nd generation) punk rock band. Think early 1980's OC/South Bay beach punk. Not super hardcore but I kept thinking of Channel 3 and MDC for some reason. Now I loves my surf instrumentals, but this classic punk rock style is even better !! (Sorry BTD). Sperm Whale, please post your next gig on California Events. :)

Next up was the Ding Dong Devils. This was the 2nd great surprise of the evening. I was expecting a classic exotica band but these guys have invented their own genre. You might think of them as the Tiki B-52's but I think of them this way: Imagine the Cramps visit the Tiki-Ti and get totally fucked up on Ray's Mistakes. There they hear a Martin Denny tune and then decide to combine psycho-billy with an exotica inspiration. The result to me would be the Ding Dong Devils. :)

Last but not least were the Insect Surfers. I only have two words here: "Tiger Shark" !! :)

Plus who's that guy on the far right? I don't remember him from the old line-up. Isn't he a Tikiyaki?

All in all this was one great and eclectic show !!

Next time listen to BTD and GO. You won't regret it.

Cool Daddy O,
er uh John O

Jeff(btd)

Thanks John-O for the props and the photos!!! I will keep you in the loop for when we play next!! I will also give you a CD the next time I see you!!

J
JOHN-O posted on Sat, Jan 9, 2010 4:42 PM

Nice. I'll probably be at Don's this Mon at around 5:30pm.

C

Thanks to everyone who came out -- it was a lot of fun, and we in the DDD's had a great time! It's great that all the bands had a "tiki-scene" connection, yet it was a completely eclectic night!

Thanks John-O....great to meet you, and I like your description of the band -- I think it's on target. Timewarp Music is a really cool store -- there were some items on the wall that would have fit Deke Dickerson's Guitar Geek Festival, like the "Rooster Roaster" guitar, and the highlight was the guitar someone made using a Simon game as the body!

I didn't know of the history of the Mar Vista Lanes, and didn't want to drink much before the show -- otherwise I would have joined everyone over there beforehand. I'll have to make a trip there sometime (I always try to support surviving bowling alleys when I can).

C

Oops, I went and blew the illusion you crafted for us John-O! I should say the reason I didn't drink at Mar Vista Lanes was because I'd already had so many Ray's Mistakes at Tiki Ti!

Caltiki of the Ding Dong Devils

On 2010-01-09 19:13, congawa wrote:
I didn't know of the history of the Mar Vista Lanes, and didn't want to drink much before the show -- otherwise I would have joined everyone over there beforehand. I'll have to make a trip there sometime (I always try to support surviving bowling alleys when I can).

TM

On 2010-01-09 13:10, JOHN-O wrote:
JOHN-O's Show Review

Sperm Whale, please post your next gig on California Events. :)

I told him that last time I saw him. Post it in beyond Tiki, but do post it! Spermy is a respected and veteran member of this forum! I definitely want to know when his band is playing!

Pages: 1 26 replies