Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Antique Shopping- June15/16 ?

Pages: 1 9 replies

D

hi SFBay area people..are any of you planning on shopping at the "Antique and Collectors' Revival Antiques Show & Sale" in san mateo ~ or the sunday street antique fair in Gilroy?

im going to both.. if you want to meet up, shop together or fight over any tiki stuff, drop me an email, or call my cell 408-804-3280 if you want company!

elicia

M
mig posted on Sat, Jun 15, 2002 2:44 PM

OOOHHHH!!!!! Dangit, I want to go, but am rather busy today, and am not sure if I can do it tomorrow. If I can, I'll give you a yell!!

D

well... that was an expensive trip! gads, 6 bucks to park, 5 to get in.. and it was a Tiki Wasteland. i did buy this cute little planter thingie, for 15.. well ~ $26 all together!
http://www.geocities.com/etamburine/Mvc-012s.jpg

tomorrow, Gilroy ~ at least the admisson/parking is free!
elicia

[ Edited by: dogbytes on 2002-06-15 22:41 ]

M

well... that was an expensive trip! gads, 6 bucks to park, 5 to get in.. and it was a Tiki Wasteland.

Yep, that is my usual concern with going to the big show each month at Alameda. Must take Bart, a bus, and then admission. Rack up $25 (for 2) before we even hit the booths. Then the pleasure of sellers asking $60 for a TV skull mug.

But I still go, hoping to find one of those "holy grails"...optimism dies hard.

Try going to about 20 different thrift and antique stores and coming up with 2 tiny Trader Vic's cocktail picks....I went out on that mission today to find anything tiki related - a Martin Denny LP, an aloha shirt, a tiki mug, a tiki coffee cup, a Hawaii souvenir - anything!! - I spend about 6 hours and about $10.00 in gas and that's what I came up with. I would be willing to pay money just to find anything tiki related - you should count your blessings!! I had two goals when I got into tiki - one was to find a Martin Denny LP at a thrift store (that goal was met one day last July at the local Goodwill) the other is to find a tiki mug ANY tiki mug at a thrift store or a flea market and I haven't even gotten close to that goal!!! Thanks for letting me gripe...

Sad and Tiki-less in Maryland,
Johntiki
:drink:

perhaps this weekend, the Tiki Gods were angry and hiding from us. (more proof: my picture above isnt showing up). the gilroy antique thing was a bust. nothing remotely tiki-ish. at least this street fair had food, so i spent a few bucks on a funnel cake. not much of a consolation prize!

I had two goals when I got into tiki - one was to find a Martin Denny LP at a thrift store the other is to find a tiki mug ANY tiki mug

Thats strange it was finding these two items on the same day that has driven me to stalk around charity stores and boot sales, I didn't belive there was tikis to be found in scotland until then.
When tiki hunting I feel I have a better chance of finding tiki if I've dreamt of tiki the night before.

M

Thanks for letting me gripe...

John, know hopw ya feel. Living in SF I have to compete with many tiki-philes, but worse is the fact sellers here know what tiki is going for on, "gasp", Ebay!. Cannot tell you how many times I find tiki items but the prices are just much too high. Mugs for $50, S/P sets for $40. BTW, I have never seem anyting tiki in my local thrift shops/Goodwill.

Then I am told the stories by non-tiki folks that stroll into an estate sale someplace or some store who knows where and find 4 Tiki Bob mugs for $5 or Steve Crane items for $2.

Maybe we try too hard. Like the proverbial butterfly, do not chase it, let it come to you. I got to get Zen with my Tiki hunting?

That's so funny! The reason I started collecting tiki was because every thrift store I went in (in Southern California) almost always had at least one tiki mug. I thought they were cool and kitschy (although I'm not sure I knew the word 'kitsch' back in 1993), so I decided to buy all I could, and have a luau the next summer. Mugs, wooden pineapple bowls, more salt & pepper shakers than any human could ever need, coco joe's hapawood King Kamehamehas, and (of course) Hawaiian shirts were gobbled up by me and my sister. (Save money? nah! Spend it all at the thrift store!)

Our luau was in the summer of 1994, and it was pretty cool, considering it was the first party we had ever thrown, and a good number of guests were below the legal drinking age, LOL. Someone even set fire to one of my coconut monkeys!

A couple months later I moved to Colorado, and kept the creme de la creme of the decorations for a tiki kitchen in my apartment. The bulk of the decorations stayed with my sister, who has given a couple luaus since, but has to keep most of it in storage mow that she lives in an apartment. Ah, well...

And all because of the plentiful tiki at the thrift store!

snarkoutgirl,
That's great that you were able to find such an abundance of tiki when you went thrifting but sadly, those days are gone. I regularly thrift in Orange County and San Bernardino County (So Cal), and tiki anything is just not easy to come by. Back in 1993 however, was pre-eBay. At that time tiki's were probably a dime-a dozen.

Of course if you want to start collecting Bailey's or Kahlua coffee mugs - now is the time! These are the new dime-a-dozen kings at your local thrift!

Pages: 1 9 replies