Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Torches in Winter?

Pages: 1 10 replies

N

Derek Yaniger's partner Stuart (a friend of mine) sent me here to ask where I should buy some torches. My company is planning a winter event series and we need a 10-20 torches to be used outdoors in the snow. The event lasts 2 hours in the evening each week, and we'd be sticking the torches in small snow banks (hopefully standing up on their own) to light a path for snowshoeing, etc. So we need something that won't get wrecked with the moisture. However, we'll probably end up using these torches in the summer too. The budget is tiny so I need them cheap. And I'm wondering how much fuel I'll need to fill a dozen torches burning for 2 hours? What should I get for torches and fuel and where should I get them? Thanks!

[ Edited by: nickmeyer 2010-01-07 16:11 ]

An idea of your geographic location might be helpful to answer this type of "must be cheap, fast and good" question, but here is THE classic torch manufacturer and their range of product from cheap to sturdy:

http://www.lamplightfarms.com/Products/94/Torches.aspx

N

They'll be in Wisconsin. Like I mentioned, they'll be going in snow (initially). That's the unusual part I guess.

You can save a lot of money on shipping by buying local if possible. It may be different in Wisconsin, but in SoCal you can find them in every WalMart, KMart, Lowes, Home Depot, Rite Aid, Big!Lots, Walgreens, etc. Tell us more about this event - Tiki Torches and Snowshoes? Inquiring minds want to know :)

N

You can generally find torches in Wisconsin in the summer, but not many places stock them in the winter for obvious reasons. Here's the info on the event: http://volumeone.org/winter Basically there will be a snowshoe path in a dark field/woods and we want several torches along the way to guide people visually through the path. It will provide some light, but they will mostly act as a beacon in the distance.

On 2010-01-07 16:05, nickmeyer wrote:
Like I mentioned, they'll be going in snow (initially). That's the unusual part I guess.

Actually, an ancient Tiki culture tradition:

Don't ask where to get THOSE for your event now! :lol:

N

Ha, those are fantastic. A little outside the flavor of this event though... :) Thanks for the link for Lamplightfarms.

Nick, I see you are in Eau Claire.

I am in Milwaukee. You should have some of this snow we are getting walloped with right now, it would help your trails.

I have not seen any torches here over the winter, they get packed away for the holidays.

I would give Lamplight Farms a call. They are down here in Menomonee Falls, just 30 minutes northwest of Milwaukee.

If nothing else, they could tell you if someone local to you might have some tucked away for the winter... Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's or a local garden center.

The real basic Beachcomber torches usually run about $5-$7 in peak season.

One torch full of oil would probably give you a burn time of 3-5 hours depending on the wick length.

Good luck with your event!

M

On 2010-01-07 22:45, Lake Surfer wrote:
Nick, I see you are in Eau Claire.

I am in Milwaukee. You should have some of this snow we are getting walloped with right now, it would help your trails.

I live in Eau Claire too, and trust me, we got plenty of fresh, new snow here yesterday.

TK

home depot, target, walmart about 3 to 5 bucks a torch in my area of florida.

Pages: 1 10 replies