Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The Voodoo Drums thread!

Pages: 1 14 replies

TM

This album used to freak me out when I was a little kid. It's really spooky authentic voodoo, including a scary sounding concertina (squeeze box)......

I gotta hear this stuff !!!

TM

It;s interesting, because whereas so much of the "tiki" stuff people post about contains an element of fun and humor, this particular album does not...yet it could be found in early 60's record shops in LA. This album is deadly serious, almost more of a "field" recording done by an ethnomusicologist. It's a glimpse into the religious music of an altogether alien culture.

H

Here's a Voodoo Ceremony recording from Haiti. Released in 1974. No flutes or concertina on this one. Just lots of drums and wild call out chants and singing.

TM

Good find, Hak!

There are a lot of Voodoo type albums out there. Most are very rare and difficult to find.

Most are like the ones above and are authentic field recordings.

One of the earliest I have seen was recorded by Maya Deren (Meshes of the Afternoon). I also have a '78 box set with some of the most incredible voodoo artwork I have ever seen.

I will post a pic of this and others soon.

Music wise, I like the Hollywood style Voodoo albums ala/Robert Drasnin and Richard Hayman much better.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Jeff, I think at the time a lot of record producers were exploiting the public's curiosity for Exotica, and putting out authentic recordings of real Haitian and other folk music that was cheap, but actually pretty much un-listenable for the average armchair explorer, who was more tuned into Baxter-esque, white man mood music PRETENDING to portray savage cultures. Look at the Chaino phenomenon for example. Cheap to record, then slap a wild cover with exploitation film-type titles on it --it's a seller! :)

Here a more serious example from a respected percussionist of the 50s Jazz scene, Mongo Santamaria, where some of the tracks are very authentic mumbo jumbo type of chanting...impressive at an earnest, artsy Beatnik party perhaps, but too esoteric for the middle class household.

The back has nice, simple but informative liner notes about Voodoo:

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-01-12 14:35 ]

TM

That's really so true: The music on the album I posted is very hard to listen to! In fact, it scares the hell out of me even to this day! I don't feel like drinking a cocktail when I listen to it....but sacrficing a chicken seems like a better idea!

OK, here's a few more Voodoo's...................

Damballa Wedo Singers, General Records circa 1950

Emy de Pradines, Remington Records circa 1953

Richard Hayman, Voodoo!, Mercury Records

Richard Hayman, Voodoo! '45 ep (import)

...and the BEST Voodoo of all......................

Robert Drasnin, Voodoo!, Tops Records 1960

I have more voodoo but will have to dig a little deeper into the archives! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

That last one always cracks me up, Voodoo hailing neither from Polynesia NOR the Far East. :lol:

That Richard Hayman EP cover is beautiful! Reminds me of that amazing Similau thread...

M
MrFab posted on Wed, Jan 13, 2010 2:56 PM

Well, keep in mind voodoo is a religion. Voodoo music isn't supposed to be mood or party music any more then Gregorian chants are. Musically, it's typical African traditionalism, drumming and chanting, which I like, but those old field recordings are so poorly recorded that they can be hard to listen to. There are modern recordings that aren't scary at all - just rockin' percussion and passionate vocals.

It's origins are in West Africa where a lot of voodoo practices still exist - I've had African and Haitian coworkers who believe in it, and a zombie isn't any more unusual to them then Jesus rising from the dead is to a Christian.

TM

Well I'll be! And all this time I thought it was pardy hardy lighthearted fun! I mean they dance to it, right? :D

Here's some more Voodoo..................

Choco; African Latino Voodoo Drums, Audio Fidelity, AFSD6102

Don Tracy; A Night With the Voodoo Family, Columbia 106 (UK Import)

Perez Prado & Shorty Rogers; Voodoo Suite, RCA Victor, LPM-1101

Richard Hayman; Vaudou, Mercury, 160147 (French import of the US released Voodoo album)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Nice...I actually forgot I have that Perez Prado record! That's an influential suite, isn't it?

And "A night with the Voodoo Family" !!? :) Sounds like the title for a Tiki sitcom!

Pages: 1 14 replies