Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

RECIPE: The Elvirrito

Pages: 1 7 replies

W

The Elvirrito is somethin I whipped up for friends this past summer. It's easy, muy delicioso, perfect for breakfast or dessert, and ideal for the King's 75th birthday.

All you need for one Elvirrito: A large flour tortilla, peanut butter (crunchy or wimpy), a banana, regular butter, a skillet or a griddle heated up for fryin.

Peel the banana (in case you never dealt with a banana before) then slice it real thin in rounds or longways.

Spread peanut butter (not too thick) on tortilla, covering 2/3 of it.

Lay out the banana slices on 'bout half the PB covered area.

Roll up the whole thing like you would a burrito, the banana and peanut butter end rollin towards the part with no peanut butter. (If you ain’t ever rolled your own burritos take a look round the Internet, there’s gotta be a how-to.)

Spread some regular butter on both sides of the rolled up thing.

Put a little butter in the skillet or on the griddle just because. Then put on the Elvirrito (seam side down) and fry it until it’s golden and crispy then flip it and fry that side the same way.

Serve right away. The Elvirrito...It’s an almost ethnic meal fit for the King!

(If you made the Elvirrito for dessert you can put some whip cream on top just so folks know it’s dessert. Elvis wouldn't mind)

TIKI JEEP!!!
Tiki Jeep: The machine to drive Tiki people crazy.

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2011-01-08 23:44 ]

imagine if you put a little bit of cinnamon in there with the Penut butter
and Banana. drooooooll.

Jeff(btd)

P
pdrake posted on Fri, Jan 8, 2010 1:50 AM

shouldn't it have honey on it? or bacon?

W

One could add whatever. As a dessert you could drizzle it with warm cinnamon honey or chocolate sauce.

Though everyone seems to agree Elvis like fried (or "grilled") peanut butter and banana sandwiches the notion that he had bacon added to them hasn't been firmly established.

I think the idea might be a mix up of the facts that he liked fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches and he liked sandwiches with a lot of bacon on them. (In a documentary I saw one of Elvis's long time cooks said something like "I would fry a whole pound of bacon and he would it it on a sandwich.") As Elvis had a tendency for self indulgent excess it's easy to see how the idea that he might eat all his sandwich favorites on one sandwich came about.

MN

I used to make these when I was little. After Elvis had left the building. One of the easier kid recipes.

Now I have to get a bunch of nanners.

"How good it that!" Woof, you need to make one and post it here

BK

He used to eat Bacon grease sandwiches when he was young, cuz they had no money. I believe he ate them his whole life.

W

Yikes! Almost missed the date to properly bump this.

You could still make it for Sunday brunch.

Pages: 1 7 replies