Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

I don't want to beauce, but

Pages: 1 3 replies

I bought these a little while ago on ebay, thinking they were beauce look-a-likes since they lacked the trademark on the bottom. However, I recently was informed by a guy in Quebec who sells Beauceware that many of their peices lacked the trademark or name printed on the bottom until after 1950. Instead of a trademark, they have three raised points. If one looks at a few non tiki Beauceware mugs on ebay, they in fact, lack a trademark and have the same configuration of three raised points instead! However, I'm finding it hard to comprehend that the Moais were made prior to 1950. Still, the marking on the bottom was common for Beauceware and it is unique enough that I don't think that anyone duplicated it.

On 2010-01-08 16:25, Paisleyumbrella wrote:
Instead of a trademark, they have three raised points.

Those marks will be on any ceramic piece that doesn't have an unglazed spot on it. With a stilt, it can be fired and not get stuck to the shelf. They are made by the three metal pins on a kiln stilt, one like this:

Those three dots are real, real, common. So, it could also just be an unmarked craft mug...

I always say: Unless you can prove that it is, then it isn't!
Buzzy Out!

Looks kinda like Hoffman pottery .

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure what to think of them, but I always loved the Beauce Moai shape.

Pages: 1 3 replies