Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Trader Jim's 50th Mai-Tai Night 15 Jan @ Trader Vic's - London

Pages: 1 24 replies

ALOHA from Frimley! Bit short notice but...

As a ‘Sophisticated Suburban Savage’ who is about to hit fifty...Yep, that’s right, the BIG 5-0 (Frimley style not Hawaii!)...I thought it’d be much more appropriate to celebrate the fact that I’ve been around for half a century with a quiet, quality Mai-Tai in Trader Vic’s.

The alternative was to have a party at the local Oddfellows Hall where I could embarrass myself on the dancefloor, with the distinct possibility of putting my back out to boot! Not for me thank you very much!!

If you’d like to head on over to Trader Vic’s and join me that’d be swell, so hopefully I’ll see you in the Tiki Room FRIDAY 15 JANUARY, we'll be there all night so turn up when you fancy. MAHALO!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

[ Edited by: POCKETIKI 2010-01-10 16:40 ]

On 2010-01-10 16:39, POCKETIKI wrote:

If you’d like to head on over to Trader Vic’s and join me that’d be swell, so hopefully I’ll see you in the Tiki Room FRIDAY 15 JANUARY, we'll be there all night so turn up when you fancy. MAHALO!

Hi Jim - a big hello from andrew (blue.octopus).
I hope the big 5-0 goes well and wish you all the best.
i'd like to stop by and share a Mai-Tai with you but timing is not great - our dog was very very ill over Christmas and we have a followup appointment this Friday evening at the vetinary hospital.
however if we do get back early enough and we're not too tired we'll try to stop by.

best regards
Andrew

Aloha Andrew! Sorry to hear about your dog, hope the little fellow gets better. It'd be great to see you again if you can pop on over but if not we'll have a good excuse for another BRITIKI get together!!

Take care - Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai!).

H

ahhh Trader Jim - too late notice for us i'm afraid! have plans in north london...

all the best and happy berfday for the big 5-0!

catch ya soon.

We'll be there. Mai Tai's all round!

On 2010-01-13 04:11, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
We'll be there. Mai Tai's all round!

YEAH! You're only saying that 'cause you know I owe you one!!! Look forward to seeing you guys again.

Trader Jim - Make ours a Mai-Tai!

On 2010-01-13 00:23, harro wrote:
ahhh Trader Jim - too late notice for us i'm afraid! have plans in north london...

all the best and happy berfday for the big 5-0!

catch ya soon.

No problem guys see you at the next BRITIKI jamboree...whenever that'll be!!

Happy Bday Trader Jim!

See you tonight for drinks.

Mahalo

Steve and Simone

Aloha Tiki Racer! Looking forward to a good night at Trader Vic's as I've got some Tiki virgins from my old punk days coming along...it should be a blast! Half a century old and still drinking Mai-Tais and listening to The Cramps & The Lurkers...I think I'm doin' alright!!

See you later for Mai-Tai TR - Trader Jim (Make yours what I'm having!).

Tiki virgins eh! More converts to worship at the altar of rum.

.Make mine a Mai Tai, and maybe a Tiki Puka Puka, and maybe a Navy Grog and ..............................

V

Happy Birthday man. And sorry I can't make it...

On 2010-01-15 05:02, virani wrote:
Happy Birthday man. And sorry I can't make it...

Virani my friend you will be missed by us all!! We'll try to give you good notice for the next BRITIKI wingding!! Au revoir...I think? It's a long time since I did French at school as you can imagine!! The SEXXXY french mistress on exchange I'll remember to my dying day, but that language...Mahalo!

V

HELLO !? PICTURES SOON ??!!

And can we try to organise a big london event this year, please ? I would so much love to go back for a week end to all the places, have some great concerts... Can anyone organise that, or at least, a big Trader Vics dinner with all the tiki folks ? I can help for sure.

The London Luau was really one of the best tiki event on earth, it's really too bad we don't have any other annual event there.

(sorry, I feel depressed and I miss a lot my european tiki brothers and sisters) !!

Make mine a London sour :wink:
Virani

We had a great time on Friday and it was good to meet up with the Britiki girls and boys.

Trader Jim at his post

Can you spot the new, exclusive mug? [not to scale]

Volcano Cake

The press were on call

Do I have to cut it? It'll loose it's auction value

Moai happy returns

Thanks James the mugs are amazing, like it's made for a mai tai.

Happy Birthday Chap!

Fab cake exotic tramp :)

So sorry not to have made it. It was Chris's 40th and we'd made plans for a weekend in Cornwall.

We should definitely plan a summer event and all get together.

On 2010-01-19 13:15, 54 house of bamboo wrote:

Thanks liz a bit shy about TC

Visit http://www.exotictramp.com for a range of exotic Jewellery & Gifts

[ Edited by: ExoticTramp 2010-01-21 15:18 ]

On 2010-01-21 15:15, ExoticTramp wrote:

On 2010-01-19 13:15, 54 house of bamboo wrote:

Thanks liz a bit shy about TC

Don't be shy, we're all friends here.

Thanks for posting the comments folks and your photos TR! When you said your camera lens was a 50 to 150 I didn't realise you meant it makes a 50 year old look 150 years old!! You wanna get that sorted my friend. Unusually, I didn't take many photos as I was too busy catching up with friends, neighbo(u)rs, relations and work colleagues (also friends!) some of whom I hadn't seen for an age...Thanks for coming guys!! Hopefully you all liked the special '50th Mai-Tai Night' Mai-Tai mug I created for my BIG 5-0 tiki soiree?

The aforementioned 50th Mai-Tai Night mugs.

I'll put another post in 'creating tiki' with some photos of the somewhat basic sculpt (it was my first go at making a mug!), the test glazes and the mugs in CheekyTiki's 'Mud Hut' were it was produced. I'll try to do that at the weekend.

Trader Vic's flaming skull mug take some beating in the 'wow factor' stakes! Chris C ordered that one! I don't think I've ever seen him with a cocktail that was anything other than FULL ON! Although, rumo(u)r has it, he snuck out the back and had a Mai-Tai in one of the 50th Mai-Tai mugs when no one was looking.

Sian's 'Sno-ai-dea' birthday cake echoed the snow that we recently had here in good ol' blighty and yes, the Belgian chocolate moais around the outside tasted FANTASTIC! The Snow moai was cast from one of the mugs that we did for the 'Tiki Mugs' book launch at Trader Vic's last March.

The volcano chocolate fudges lived up to expectation!

Proof that it looked good enough to eat!!!

The following day we headed over to CheekyTiki where Sian gave me the last of my birthday presents...a 'Tiki Towers' wooden sign for the front door here at...yep you guessed it...TIKI TOWERS! Great job Jamie, it's perfect.

Couldn't wait to see what it would look like when we got home!

Tiki Racer gave me an awesome pith helmet which he had customised specially for me, which is in one of his photos but I want to post some others in a seperate post later. It really is the dogs bollocks! Simone gave me a great tiki notebook which was bound by her own fair hand and used a Trader Vic's poster that TR bought back from his stateside trip. I'm a lucky guy I know!

Thanks to ALL who came along on Friday and joined me in a Mai-Tai...or plenty, and made my birthday a really special one! Thanks also to the folks at Trader Vic's for giving us the 'Tiki Room' for the night, great service as usual, one classy establishment! If anyone else has got some good photos of the shindig we'd love to see them.

Enjoy your mugs and spare a thought for the ol' fella!

Take care - Trader Jim (make mine a Mai-Tai...in my 50th Mai-Tai mug of course!!).

C

My photos of the event (first time I've posted any, so fingers crossed...
Yes, I did have a Mai Tai in the special mug... said receptacle now happily ensconced atop my bamboo Tiki cabinet
Thanks for a great time Trader Jim and once again many happy returns!

CHRIS

Wow, terrfic party for a wonderful guy, congratulations on having a great night full of tiki fun. You look wonderful darling, 50 no way! Wendy and Dan too

Yeah, but from now on it's all downhill! :wink: Jim, congrats, for keeping yourself and the Tiki spirit alive. One of these days, I gotta spend some quality time over there, do the whole thing, Trader Vic's, British Museum, the Cheeky Tiki bars, etc. Maybe on my way to my next job in Prague in March...

Make sure you tell us all, Sven, in time to arrange a night out!

H
harro posted on Tue, Jan 26, 2010 3:04 PM

Damn, looks like I missed out on a great time!
Super mug Jim - hope you got a few spare... :)

L

Wow fab cake !

Happy Belated Birthday fella.

And may I just say that you look dang good for being half a century old!

:)

P

On 2010-01-26 11:21, 54 house of bamboo wrote:
Make sure you tell us all, Sven, in time to arrange a night out!

You heard the lady Big Bro...The Britiki hospitality party are waiting in the wings!

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, I really had a cool evening (easy to do at Trader Vic's of course!), with my friends old and new. Glad the mugs have gone to good homes and for those who didn't see it on the night, I've posted pics of my Kustom Pith Helmet that Tiki Racer created for me as a Birthday present...THANKS TR!!!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35428&forum=18&start=last&0

Hopefully the link will be fine but it is in the 'Creating Tiki - Other Crafts' section if it isn't.

When I've sorted my pics and gotten my act together a bit more, I'll post some stuff on the 'Make mine a Mai-Tai' mug. Hopein' to get a regular run produced in the near future.

MAHALO to one and all! - Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai!).

Pages: 1 24 replies