Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Meshugga Beach Party invade So. Cal. Fri. Jan. 15th

Pages: 1 41 replies

Nor. Cal. Favorites and Regulars at Forbidden Island tiki bar, come down to spread their word in So. Cal.
This is an amazing band.

and George Tomsco of the 50's and 60's legends the Fireballs, playing with 3 Balls of Fire from New Mexico.

please come check them out.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-01-11 11:44 ]

I recommend to get there early as seats are going to go fast.

Jeff(btd)

oy vey

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-01-12 10:45 ]

Hava Nagila from Tiki Oasis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwQRApGgj54

S

Thanks Jeff. We'd love to have all of you Tiki-philes come on out to this show, as we've learned that Tiki people make the best audiences.

J

Oh man, do I wanna make this show !! Here's my Meshugga Beach Party story:

Several years ago, a friend of mine was having a Hanukkah dinner. As a gag gift, I purchased this CD that had a surfing Rabbi on it. I thought it was an appropriate gift since he surfed as well.

We expected the whole thing to be a joke album. That was NOT the case !! It turned out to be a very unique and complimentary combination of both classic surf instrumentals and traditional Jewish folk songs. We couldn't believe what we were hearing. My friend dubbed it "Jewish Soul Surf Music". Yeah, I know these guys look like a joke band but if you appreciate classic surf with a unique twist, go check it out.

Boychiks and maydeles, we hope to see you there! For us, sure, but to see George Tomsco, such a mensch!

Check out Meshugga Beach Party on their SoCal tour! Meshugga Beach Party is one of my favorite surf bands and always put on a great and fun show! Go Go Go see them!

If you missed them at Oasis (I know I did - passed out prematurely in my room!!) see this band!!
They play at Forbidden Island on a regular basis and never fail to bring the house down, so to speak. Consistently a huge draw, every time they play!
This looks like one heck of a show...wish I could make it...
Have fun.

Aloha!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jan 14, 2010 12:49 AM

GROG miss them at Oasis, so hopefully GROG can make it down Friday to Don's to catch these guys. They look like a riot.

TWO

It's gonna be a great show and I am bummed I can't make it. Meshugga will not disappoint. They are a kick ass surf band and great people to.
Go support 'em.

Meshugga Beach Party were one of the highlights of last year's Tiki Oasis for us - seriously! Don't tell Trevor I said so, be he got pretty geeked out when he heard that George Tomsco was playing tomorrow night too. Sounds like a great show. We've got a small group of friends coming with us, and are really looking forward to it.

See yahs all tomorrow!

Looking forward to see the Meshugga Beach Party again! These guys (and gal) are amazing! Take advantage of NOT having to trek up north to check them out! WooHoo and I will be there.

We'll be there after dog training class tomorrow night. I'll need some Semitic surf rock and a Rum Barrel after spending an hour trying to teach old dogs new...well you know. See ya there!

C

Meshugga Beach Party was amazing at Tiki Oasis, and I'm really looking forward to seeing them again, and also seeing George Tomsco twice this weekend (at Don's Friday and the Guitar Geek Fest Sat).

I wonder if Don's going to offer a Kosher Rum Barrel for the occasion? Here's a website that lists the (sadly, limited) selection of Kosher-approved rums: http://www.kashrut.com/articles/liquor2/ (I think Don Q Grand Anejo is supposed to be decent.)

[ Edited by: congawa 2010-01-14 10:23 ]

S

Wow, this looks to be an awesome show! I love MBP and I'd be there in a heartbeat if I could make it down!

Suzanne

By the way everybody, this show is going to be in the Back,
Hi Chief's room.
Where Tikiyaki plays at.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-01-14 19:37 ]

Hmm, this looks like fun I might have to drag my old bones down there.

S

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, looking forward to seeing those of you who can make it. "Semitic Surf" - I like it!

Will this show be all ages then since its not in the bar? Only way I can make it is if I bring my son with me. I'm on Daddy duty tonight...

CA

all day spent on my new Poi Ball Soup... Yum!!

So whats the time schedule . Do MBP start at 9 pm or whats the deal? The flyer doesnt say .

J

BTD told me the Jewish band goes on at 9pm sharp.

HM

can't wait to see everyone tonight!!! Lookin' forward to a great Friday night!

T

I can't wait! I've heard nothing but great reviews about Meshugga Beach Party and I am really craving the Sticky Ribs.

!!!BULLETIN!!!

I have just received information from a very close friend & informant(less than ten feet away) that the Tropical Paradise Dancers will be performing tonight from 7-9pm in the Dining Room! Now we all have an excuse to go to Don's early for dinner/Happy Hour and some excellent entertainment before the big show!

Hope to see everyone there!

On 2010-01-15 14:34, TronTiki wrote:
!!!BULLETIN!!!
I have just received information from a very close friend & informant(less than ten feet away) that the Tropical Paradise Dancers will be performing tonight from 7-9pm in the Dining Room! Now we all have an excuse to go to Don's early for dinner/Happy Hour and some excellent entertainment before the big show!

I don't think that person knows she's talking about! Now stop talking/typing AND GET BACK TO WORK!

On 2010-01-15 14:34, TronTiki wrote:
!!!BULLETIN!!!

I don't think that person knows what she's talking about! Now stop talking/typing AND GET BACK TO WORK!

Yes MBP plays at 9 pm sharp.

Jeff(btd)

I'm getting our jewelry polished and we'll be heading out see ya all there !!

[ Edited by: Skinny Dog 2010-01-15 19:26 ]

DZ

Had a great time last night - Meshugga Beach Party was funtastic! Thanks WooHoo & Soccer for the pix.

Well, most of them...

TM

Had a great time! These guys (and gal) are very good! Also good to see so many tiki centralites!!

http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com/meshugga/index.htm

HT

Last night at DTB it was a full house, all three dining rooms were full, the bar, and at 9 pm the surf music started. During dinner in the dining room there was a great Hula show for entertainment, and then the surf music started at 9 with the "MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY", NEXT 3 BALLS OF FIRE, AND ENDING THE EVENING WITH GEORGE TOMSCO. There were outstanding drinks plus dancing. Great friday night. Thank you DTB.

Wow, what a great show!!
Thanks to Don's for having them,
And Thanks to Jonpaul and Marie for booking them.

It was amazing to see so many tiki people compared to surf crowd people.
John Blair, of the Eliminators, was also playing with George Tomsco,
and he asked me why there was more tiki than surf people.
I said, because tiki people like to get out of the House and have fun.
So Cheers and thanks to all of you who came out.
you rule!

and thanks for the pics,
keep em coming.

Oh Happy Belated B-day Hinano Paul!!

Jeff(btd)

J

Huh? Tiki people vs. the Surf crowd?

Is this Poly-Pop's version of the Mods and the Rockers?

Remember what Ringo Star replied when asked whether he was a Mod or a Rocker:

"I'm a Mocker". :)

Great show, BTD. Again thanks for the TC promotion.

Well some people would say I'm a F**cker
but that's another story. :wink:

Thanks for coming down John.
good also to see Kirby and Grog from way up in BFE.
and a rare appearance of Dr. Z.
plus many more Tiki peeps.
thanks to all of you again.

Jeff(btd)

TM

Ha! Mockers unite!

Kudos to Big Tiki Eyore dude for being such a patron of the arts! Jeff, you GOT me to come out and actually have a life for once! Good call! I had a good time and the band was really good!

John-O...it was rad getting to meet you! I enjoy your threads, so keep em' coming! Nice to hang with every one!

Spindrift! (For doctor Z.....!)

Oh yeah,
Kudos to Lucas for coming down from North OC right after a gig no less.
I applaud you sir.

as for your Spindrift comment,
are you talking about the LA band that does,
Spaghetti Western Music?
http://www.myspace.com/thewest

TM

Nah, it's the name of a song off the last RUSH album....Doctor Z would definitely know it!

DZ

@ LV: Aye! Came thisclose to naming my new bar 'Spindrift'!

Back to the show: I've been told this has been said (many) times before, but... POUR SOME MESHUGGA ON ME!

(too good not to say again!) :wink:

Pages: 1 41 replies