Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Broken Tiki Mugs

Pages: 1 10 replies

I had another mug break the other night. Culprit: Our pet cat. This is his second mug destruction. Its killing me. To help me vent, here is a Top 5 list of my broken mugs:

January 9, 2010: Black Moai Suave - Pushed off of side table by same pet cat. Shattered into tons of pieces

February, 2009: Turquoise Mai Kai Anniversary Mug - Pushed off of Kitchen Counter by pet cat. One large chunk gone. Undisplayable.

April, 2004: El Bastardo Red Munktiki (#2) - Chipped 1 horn off of mug during party. Mug was later swiped by a party goer.

June, 2002: Munktiki Turquoise Goateekee- Bumped shelf that tiki was on while painting around it.(why oh why didn't I take it down first?) Mug fell and shattered- buried it in backyard.

December, 2001: El Bastardo Red Munktiki Mug- Chipped 1 horn off mug during party. Mug was later broken when dropped (same party).

Anyone else have similar stories?

C

Yep!

That's why I always say that some day I'm going to make a fabulous moasic out of my broken tiki mugs! Don't throw them away, just throw 'em all together in a box & make something fabulous out of them someday!

Say G'night, Kitty! :evil:

M

I would say time to put the cat down!

Actually, I'm impressed that you remember all the dates. In the 7+ years that I've been collecting, I've only had one breakage: Trying to negotiate the locked gate at our pool while drunk and carrying my Rum Demon coconut mug. As the gate closed shut it knocked Coco right out of my hand, shattering on the stone ground along with the couple ounces of Zaya that were inside.

I have witnessed much worse, but luckily not my mugs. When I was running the Thor Stor I had to take down a couple of shelves so the a repairman could get to the breaker box. After he was done I asked a salesperson to put the shelves back up. She didn't put the brackets all the way into the standards in the wall. She had the shelves up and fully stocked. About 5 minutes later, 2 of the shelves came crashing down onto the bottom shelf. On the shelves - all Gecko mugs. We lost at least 2 dozen seahorse mugs, some Blue Hawaiian Limited Marquesans, some scorpion bowls, some Gek-Kus and more. At least 40+ mugs destroyed.

She was no longer allowed to touch the shelves...

green vintage hawaii kai nyc mug slapped out of my hand by a girl enthusiastically telling me a story at a party.
purple orchid tiki goddess mug; fell out of my bag about an hour after leaving the purple orchid. my friend displayed it for a while but was further broken in a move.
westwood tiki shot mug; fell off an over-crowded shelf.

L

party city tiki mugs are the only thing I drink out of at parties....no way in hell will I ever use any of my collection.

1. It has taken me countless hours of hunting to amass what I have amassed and in my eyes it aint that much so why jeopardize the numbers

2. Those party city plastic mugs hold a crap ton of booze!

3. I fall just standing up...throwing a cocktail in my hand and its a hot mess.

I like to use Harvey's Lake Tahoe bucket mugs for parties. They're vintage, feel nice in the hand, and keep drinks good and cold. I've given several sets of four away to friends and I still have more than a dozen.

My only serious breakage was an Aloha Jhoe's Moai mug that my mother-in-law knocked off the shelf when she stumbled. Luckily she wasn't badly hurt, and I had several duplicates of the mug.

On 2010-01-11 18:02, leleliz wrote:
party city tiki mugs are the only thing I drink out of at parties....no way in hell will I ever use any of my collection.

i use plastic tiki mugs for parties now; if it is a more intimate gathering i use accoutrement's mugs.

I think the tiki gods do still require an occasional sacrifice.

A couple of months ago the cleaning gal at our office knocked off a Treasure Craft ashtray from the boomerang coffee table in my office. It broke... sacrifice made... but she didn't leave a note, and when asked about it she at first denied responsibility, then admitted it. It seemed to me that she should have to pay for it, but I let it slide. There's a whole lot of stuff in my office that could break, so I can live with a rare donation to the god of Oh!No!

H

Please post broken Tiki Mugs in the "official" thread here:
Tiki Mug Misfortunes

I know, it's not easy to find 'cause it doesn't say "broken" in the title, but anyone that now finds this thread will easily locate the "official" one.

8T

moved to correct thread
sorry, 8FT

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2015-08-10 16:08 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies