Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Recommend me somewhere to Honeymoon after Hukilau!

Pages: 1 15 replies

H

Aloha ohana,

Lucky for me i've managed to convince my fiance to delay our honeymoon till June this year so we can kick it off at Hukilau in Miami. It's been a dream of mine to visit the Mai Kai and a tiki weekender like Hukilau. So afterwards we're looking to do the more traditional honeymoon at a tropical beach location somewhere in the Caribbean or Central America, but we have no idea where the good spots are.

About us: Australian/Argentinian couple currently living in London who love the beach, snorkelling, scuba diving, etc - looking for a quiet secluded paradise a short flight from Miami. Must be right on a nice beach with excellent swimming and snorkelling. Maybe it could be an all-inclusive place. Usually we are adventurous backpacker type travellers on small budgets, but for this "once in a lifetime" we might indulge a pay a bit more than usual (still very much mid-range budget though).

Any suggestions?

S

Since you say secluded and quiet, I won't suggest Key West.

On a budget, which I always watch when traveling, you might consider flying to Cancun and staying at Playa del Carmen, south of Cancun. It is a pretty laid back beach community with a sort of international feel. Closed off avenue for shopping and dining and drinking. Blue waters that are very clear and thanks to Cozumel off the coast, almost no waves. 2nd largest coral reef just off the coast and various cenotes and parks nearby for seeing the wild side according to your taste. El Paradisio beach. Xel Ha park is nice refined snorkleling.

I've sent your requirements to a travel writer friend of mine who is familiar with the Caribbean. I'll pass along anything I get back.

If you are attending Hukilau beforehand, you might want add "having a good alcohol de-tox program" (or programme) to your wish list for resorts!

Looking forward to meeting you at Hukilau.

We actually stayed in Key West economically. We stayed in Bahama village in a very nice reasonably priced boarding house - and then at their overflow conch house. It was truly living like the locals, but we rather enjoy that. Key West can be very expensive if you stay at the usual tourist hotels and eat at the most visible tourist restaurants. But if you get off the beaten path a bit, affordability can be accomplished. LOVE LOVE LOVE Key West. At the time I think Lonely Planet had some really good suggestions. If you're into diving you should go to the Keys for at least a day and dive. Have fun!

I will concur w/ Coco Loco. Bahama Village is a very good less expensive alternative to the usual KW tourist hotels. My mom lived in Key West for 15 years and I visited her often. There are TONS of great off-the-beaten path stuff, as well as some typical, yet still fun, touristy stuff.

It's been almost 10 yrs since I was there last. Lemme talk with my mom and I can get more specific info, if you're interested.

I heard back from my friend:

"The north coast of Honduras and the island of Rhoatan both have affordable oceanfront resorts and all inclusives. You get great value. I stayed at Infinity Bay Resort and was amazed at the killer snorkeling available just down the beach, some of the best snorkeling I've ever experienced. For more info, read this story. Just make sure to wear Bullfrog insect repellant/suntan lotion on the beach otherwise you might get sandflea bites."

Here is the story: http://www.examiner.com/x-12083-Orlando-Coastal-Travel-Examiner~y2009m6d6-Rhoatan-and-north-coast-of-Honduras-offers-eco-thrills-and-great-value

To add my own $.02, try looking for places in Cozumel, the Dominican Republic, or Costa Rica. Great places at great prices. And since you aren't US citizens, Cuba is 90 miles away. Can't get there directly from the US, though.

If you have the time, I would certainly recommend the drive to Key West and back, especially if the weather is nice and you have rented a convertible. The Keys are nice, been going there twice a year since I was in diapers, but if you don't have your own boat, it can get kind of expensive. A quick plane trip out of MIA can put you in some tropical scenery that will really blow your head off.

H

Mahalo everyone!
Such great recommendations - off to research them now...

I

One thing to possibly consider is rum - and visiting a rum distillery. The Caribbean is full of island nations, each which makes their own rum.

Do you have a favorite rum? You could possibly combine your ideal island vacation, which would also include the opportunity to take a day excursion to visit where that rum is made. The ministy of rum website has a good listing of which distilleries are located where.
http://www.ministryofrum.com/rumindex.php

Last month I was on a Caribbean vacation, but on a sailing ship, so can't recommend any beach resorts - but the scenery in the Windward islands (Martinique, St Lucia, Barbados, etc) is wonderful, and the rum punches very good too.

S

Forget Cozumel. Might have been great 10 years ago, but now cruise ships dock there constantly and the prices and general annoyance went way up.

Is Key West really a quiet secluded place to go though?

Swanky's probably right about Cozumel. Haven't been in a while.

And Key West is not the place for peace and quiet. It is completely overrun with touristas on mopeds at all times of the day and night. Not to mention the chickens. And partying college kids packed 10 to a room.

If you MUST do the Keys, I would suggest somewhere between Marathon and Key West. You're close enough to Key West to visit, but out of the chaos. We usually rent a house in Key Colony Beach or Big Pine.

And if you are really crazy, you can always check out Little Palm Island resort. Starting at only $700 a night! Last time we went by, we saw servers on jet skis delivering drinks to patrons anchored on their own motor-powered sun tanning rafts!

http://www.littlepalmisland.com/

CL

Key West is unique enough, that I'm always ready to recommend it. My personal feeling is that Key West is a San Francisco vibe on the beach with a Caribbean twist. Throw in a few chickens, lots of cats, and great scuba diving, and a few funky things and you've got it. I'd live there if I could afford it.

Each time we went, it was just basic tourists, no spring breakers, no carnivals, just a few tourists. So while it wasn't secluded, it wasn't over run either. We planned around major events and it was quite enjoyable.

However, Swanky is right, it is not secluded and quite. Though it is the furthest most southern point of the US - so it's out there.

You didn't mention it, but the thought may cross your mind if you go to Key West - Cuba. It's only 20 miles from Key West. There are "rumors" :wink: of private 'underground' flights from KeyWest, but I'd caution you against jumping from there because the US could take that kinda seriously. You'll need to go the Caribbean to get there. As a non-US Passport Holder you can visit there easily from the Caribbean. (There's a US embargo against Cuba and US Citizens are not supposed to go there). I can't wait to go someday.

If you are going to dive I'd highly recommend anywhere in the Keys or the Caribbean. There's also a great dolphin diving center there where you can swim with the dolphins. You know, here's a creative idea. I wonder if anyone in the the upper keys rents out their boats to stay on? The upper keys are quieter and there are LOTS of boats.

CL

Hmmm, curiosity got the best of me: Craigslist has all kinds of goodies under vacation rentals.

http://keys.craigslist.org/vac/1538671867.html,
http://keys.craigslist.org/vac/1537385795.html
http://keylargohouseboat.com/

All-inclusives in the Domican Republic (which was virtually untouched by the earthquake).
I recommend the La Romana or Punta Cana areas.

Only about a 1-hour flight away.

H
harro posted on Tue, Jan 26, 2010 3:12 PM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!!!!!!

I searched them all, and its looking like we might be snorkelling at Roatan (Honduras) if we're lucky! Thanks Tikihardbop for the recommendation. We might steer clear of the all inclusives though, and do it our way.

A tip: in my investigations I came across "Vacation Rentals By Owner" website (www.vrbo.com ) that gives great deals on places direct from the owner. Hopefully it works for us.

Mahalo!!

I've visited Roatan and Utila, Tim, but it was nearly 20 years ago. I figure my advice would be well out of date... Great diving. Whale sharks and rays :)

I, myself, have been doing research on Islas Mujures off Cancun. Can't speak for what's there yet, but I've been really eyeing the snorkeling with the whale sharks and the snorkeling off Isla Contoy and the Los Manchones.

The Keys can be secluded IF you have friends there who can point you in the right direction for local spots (usually off their own dock). Then, you go off to do your thing on the water with few around.

Pity the sand fleas will be too crazy for camping off Bahia Honda in the Lower Keys.

Keep in mind, that June is the off season for the Keys. I would assume the same for a fair amount of the Carib, which should make a difference in price and population.

Pages: 1 15 replies