Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

put chisel to wood tonight.

Pages: 1 25 replies

P

first time i've touched this in almost two years i think.

time to live.

new thread, new attitude.

any thoughts, comments or critiques are welcome. not too much upsets me these days.

i went buzzy on this. too chilly outside.

T

On 2010-01-13 00:58, pdrake wrote:
i went buzzy on this. too chilly outside.

Cool. You may have just coined a new term. :P

Looking great so far! I don't think you need any help. You seem to have it all under control. Look forward to watching the whole build so keep posting.

P

thanks meng. no carving today. got up early and was going to move outside, but wind and rain said no. now it's almost time for frankie's.

pdrake!! glad to see ur new thread and tude!! ald to see your hittin the chisels again lookin good so far!!! lets see you do this thing man!!! lol! cheerz!!

Perry, are you switching teams? Don't forget how to find you way back to Other Crafts :lol:

Carving the big stuff should be easy after all that micro-carving. Hope you have a good shop-vac to clean that mess up!

P

don't worry. i'm just not up to working on little stuff right now.

i have a shop vac and extra hoses so i can leave the shop vac outside.

B

Nice to see the wood chips fly Perry, Lookin Good!!!!!

P

thanks, ben. it's going slow. some of the blows are even coming from anger. i know that's not what i want to put into the tiki. it's just kind of tough right now.

here's a little update from the last few days. i'm not in a happy place about it, but i think it will get there, so if any of you have any advice or observations, let me know. mahalo.

perry drake . . .

P

good thing my wife doesn't mind me carving in the house in the evenings.

then again, she helped . . . . .

give of yourself. it's the most precious of all gifts.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2010-01-18 00:06 ]

L

Nice start on this log multi-media-man!

J.

On 2010-01-18 00:06, pdrake wrote:
good thing my wife doesn't mind me carving in the house in the evenings.

then again, she helped . . . . .

give of yourself. it's the most precious of all gifts.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2010-01-18 00:06 ]

YOU'RE BAD!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any splinters yet??

P

there's a small red mark on my palm there. took about 3 days to get all of it out even with heavy magnification. it happens when i roll the log around. i'll take a moment to put my gloves on for bigger moves.

P

some progress . . .

this is the first big tiki i've done with only hand tools. i think i'll use some help with the sanding, though.

as always, if anyone has feedback or ideas, i'm totally open to them.

mahalo!!

B

Perry, Looking good, just keep chipping away at all the little spots that don't look right and soon he will be Perfect! If you would have left that sliver on him he would look beter but I guess you just Had to have a reminder?
Just take your time and it wil all fall into place.

SRRY I DONT KNOW HOW I MISS ALL THESE UPDATES!!!! but hes comin along great!!! he big too!! i always get a little frustrated in the middlle portion of my carvin cuz it dont look right then i finish carvin then sand and finish and im much much happier!!! cuz as benz said it will all come tgthr in the end!!!! cheerz brah!!!!

P

thanks, ben, thanks, scott. put in a little more work today. time for sanding. this tiki sat outside for almost 3 years. the dog peed on it more than once. man, sanding the bottom produced a smell i wouldn't want to ever encounter again.

pdrake!!! look at that guy!!! hes awsome and seems to get taller every post!!! u have a cool style too!!! how does it feel to finish up a tiki after two years!? cheerz brah!!

P

thanks, scott. after looking at the pics (they help see things i may miss up close) and seeing some older ones from tahiti, i think i'm going to give him some sex.

it's a little dry and i took a good 1/4" off that had gotten splintery and discolored after 2+ years in the weather.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2010-01-23 17:27 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2010-01-23 17:27 ]

H
Heath posted on Sat, Jan 23, 2010 6:10 PM

On 2010-01-23 17:25, pdrake wrote:

i think i'm going to give him some sex.

With this?

Sorry, I couldn't pass this one up.
Lokking good Perry.

P

heh, thanks, heath. i think i'll stick with chisels and other tools.

J

On 2010-01-23 17:25, pdrake wrote:

Looking pretty good!

good deal dude!!!! it wrks for him!!! cheerz!!

T

Very different. Cool. Hey your backyard sort of reminds me of Buzzy's. :P :P

H

Okay, I'll behave myself now.
Any proggress?

Pages: 1 25 replies