Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Haiti Earthquake Relief

Pages: 1 14 replies

I am sure most of you are aware of the devestation of the earthquake that happened on January 12th in Haiti.

Here is a link if you would like to donate.

http://www.networkforgood.org/?source=YAHOO&cmpgn=HMPCRS

Sports Chalet is accepting donations of worn shoes in fair condition that will be shipped to Haiti. I am sure we all have shoes that we dont wear anymore. Lets dig in our closests.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2010/01/14/sports-chalet-soles4souls-partnership-aid-victims-/

A little bit will help these people; and I am certain that the tiki gods will look down upon us with a wonderful smile.

Thank You,
Roxanne

I hope it's cool to link this thread up with the other Haiti Relief thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?forum=6&topic=35181

Ive got a small PILE of shoes from my kids over the years.. consider it done.

Sport Chalet... They'll take you too the limit.. (and your shoes to Haiti)

something happened in haiti !!??? when !!!!??? .....I sure hope it wasn't anything too serious or bad.....

On 2010-01-15 10:13, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

something happened in haiti !!??? when !!!!??? .....I sure hope it wasn't anything too serious or bad.....

Nothing eventful, really. Just text the word haiti to 90999 and then text yele to 501501 and you won't need to give it another thought.

R

That's a great idea, Roxanne.

I know I have a bunch of shoes hiding in closets, under beds, and in the garage that I can bring in to The Chalet.

I'm sure that every little bit will help.

T

I heard that shoes are a horrible thing to send. For the past few days these people are without water, medicine, medical supplies and medical workers. And they are having a hard time getting all the life saving supplies in. Sending boxes of heavy things that aren't these super important thing will just slow down the rest I'm sure. I heard money is good to send. I could live without shoes.

L

On 2010-01-16 06:02, teaKEY wrote:
I heard that shoes are a horrible thing to send. For the past few days these people are without water, medicine, medical supplies and medical workers. And they are having a hard time getting all the life saving supplies in. Sending boxes of heavy things that aren't these super important thing will just slow down the rest I'm sure. I heard money is good to send. I could live without shoes.

Since people are walking around barefoot in debris which includes glass, concrete, wood, nails, etc...

they are asking for a wide range of supplies from shoes to tolietries to food and water and medical supplies.

You can dial in to this sort of information if you actually read a paper or watched the news

Instead of running your mouth talking out of your ass why don't you go donate to the relief effort somewhere? Since I am pretty positive you haven't at this point.

Good grief

I was going to say something about Teakeys post but I keep forgeting .... DON'T FEED THE TROLLS !!

Thanks for the info Roxanne!!

J

Actually my take on Teakey's post was quite different. For a "sub-culture" that might think nothing of spending $50+ on a night of drinking, I would think we could afford to do a little more than just "clean out our closets".

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-01-16 10:33 ]

T

On 2010-01-16 09:31, leleliz wrote:

On 2010-01-16 06:02, teaKEY wrote:
For the past few days these people are without water, medicine, medical supplies and medical workers. And they are having a hard time getting all the life saving supplies in. Sending boxes of heavy things that aren't these super important thing will just slow down the rest I'm sure. I heard money is good to send. I could live without shoes.

You can dial in to this sort of information if you actually read a paper or watched the news

Instead of running your mouth talking out of your ass why don't you go donate to the relief effort somewhere? Since I am pretty positive you haven't at this point.

Actually I have donated exactly what I just said that the people need right now. And anyone who can spare alittle should. And it can help the people I saw on the news today having to have their legs and feet removed from infection.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2010-01-16 10:58 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jan 16, 2010 1:21 PM

Teakey doesn't need to send shoes. There aren't very many Haitians that are 8 feet tall and can wear Teakey's shoes.

Thanks for the info Roxanne :)

We have a small Airport just South of us where http://www.agapeflights.com operate. They are running direct flights and I am pretty confident the pipeline of the goods donated are solid and effective. I sold one of my fav. tiki carvings today for a donation from F.O.M. and got matching funds from my hairdresser so we are able to purchase Aspirin, Antacid, and Tarps.

I remember visiting Haiti as a child and my dad specifically taking us out into the interior so we could see first hand what "Third World Country" meant. Thanks and Kudos to all those making the effort. This is worth stepping up for !!

Pages: 1 14 replies