Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Fiddleheads

Pages: 1 6 replies

We will be cooking Canadian food for our Olympics Opening Ceremony Party next month and hope to include some Fiddleheads (fern sprouts) The only source I find on the internet charges $15 per can with shipping. Anyone know of another source or have them available locally?

Now, in case you're thinking - "That's not Tiki" It just so happens that fiddleheads are Tiki for at least 2 reasons;
1 - they are the source of inspiration for the Maori koru
2 - they look like octopus arms and everyone knows octopi are TIKI! :lol:

Tasty sunsabitches! I've looked for them here, and they are hard to come by.
Not really a national dish, more of a regional Maritimes dish perhaps.

They're only in the stores in springtime. I wouldn't bother with canned - yuck! Frozen maybe, if you can find them, but really, fresh is the only way to go. Make Nanaimo bars instead.

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2010-01-20 18:31 ]

Thanks guys. Nanaimo bars are on the menu :) Been chatting with fellow Canadian Tiki Wahine and got some great ideas

Mike

These are totally new to me, never seen them before.

Kinda like artichokes, who first figured out it was OK to eat? I'm thinkin' someone lost a bet - "I'll race you to the top of the hill, loser has to eat that purple thistle :lol:

Well jeeze, if want fresh I could probably go out into the forest and harvest some for you!
Wait - here they use ostrich ferns, and ostrich ferns tend to be quite rare (and incredibly beautiful) in these parts, I actually have some in my back yard! Their fronds get to be 3'-5' long when unfurled.

I'll keep my eyes peeled in the local markets for fresh.

Pages: 1 6 replies