Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Share the Google Street View Tiki near you!

Pages: 1 30 replies

V

Aloha Folks!

I've been wanting to share the odd tiki or two that I've stumbled across in my neighborhood, and now Google Street View has made it possible! Thought it would be fun for folks who have had the Google Car map out their area post links to "tiki-esqe" views.

Here is a house a few blocks from me that I always slow down for when I am running. Great big tiki carving in the yard out front, dark brown original 1960's home, and some great carvings hanging on either side of the front door (a bit hard to make out). Be sure to copy and paste the ENTIRE url below to see the proper street view:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=kailua+oahu&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=61.928102,66.796875&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Kailua,+Honolulu,+Hawaii&ll=21.400366,-157.734243&spn=0,359.995145&z=18&layer=c&cbll=21.398134,-157.734745&panoid=fKXF5q9GCSHbHr3CAfDH-w&cbp=12,170.38,,1,4.56

I'll post more as I find 'em - and I'd love for other folks to share some tiki views as well!

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

CJ

Is this really a good idea? It's one thing to post a photo, but the coordinates too? I'd hate for someone to post the coordinates of my outdoor Tikis as they might soon walk away!

Doesn't work !

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2010-01-19 11:59 ]

you have to copy and paste the whole link.

Mr. Royal Hawaiian on La Brea, I probably drive past him 3 days a week.

CJ

On 2010-01-19 11:36, Hakalugi wrote:
Is this really a good idea? It's one thing to post a photo, but the coordinates too? I'd hate for someone to post the coordinates of my outdoor Tikis as they might soon walk away!

I don't think a lot of thugs browse tiki central to plan their next robbery

On 2010-01-19 12:19, Coco Joe wrote:

On 2010-01-19 11:36, Hakalugi wrote:

I don't think a lot of thugs browse tiki central to plan their next robbery

Van Tiki just needs to rename this thread to "Steal these Tikis".

Remember what happened at Tiki Oasis 2008, where some morons uprooted a Tiki post and made off with it? Yes, I know, it was eventually returned, nevertheless, I wouldn't put it past them or anyone of their caliber to steal another. Can you honestly say those particular people never browse TC? They go to Tiki Oasis...

As an owner of some outdoor Tikis I am probably just overly cautious.

V

Hey there -

Never intended for folks to steal anything. Google street view is only showing what anyone could see driving through Kailua. I figure that if you are gonna stick a giant tiki in your yard, you kinda want folks to see it. :) I do understand if members feel this thread should close, no harm intended!

Henrik

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jan 19, 2010 1:59 PM

Post pictures of tikis that are impossible to steal. Tikis and satellites, I think this idea is pretty cool. Oh boy... So many sharks out there... I will post something as soon I figure out how to do it...

H

No need to close the thread. Just don't post the addresses. It seems like an invasion of privacy. Sure, the owner put the Tiki in their front yard for people to see, so posting a photo should be fine. Just do a screen grab from google maps, crop the capture down to just the photo, then post that.

If there is any uncertainty over this, why not just ask the owner of the Tiki and see how they feel about someone they don't know posting a photo (with address) of their front yard Tiki.

[ Edited by: hakalugi 2010-01-19 14:12 ]

J

On 2010-01-19 12:16, Bora Boris wrote:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34046&forum=2

T

I think there is a posting like this already somewhere else. Something like the tiki on your block or in your neighbor. I'll look for it in a bit.

J

Here's an example of how to embed the link so people don't have to copy and paste.

Just EDIT this post for an example of the HTML.

MapLink

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-01-19 15:29 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jan 19, 2010 3:17 PM

Mauna Loa Tiki bar in Madrid

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jan 19, 2010 3:43 PM

Bora Bora Tiki Bar in Madrid

T

Tiki in Lynnwood, WA

On 2010-01-19 12:16, Bora Boris wrote:

I don't live too far away. I am always happy to see the Tiki there.

LT

On the way to Costco...

This is a FUN idea!

Sandbar in Lawrence, KS.

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLine 2010-01-26 09:02 ]

W

I was tryin to locate a particular motel on 9th Street in San Francisco and saw this behind a joint called The Stud Bar and as it didn't seem like the usual sorta thing one might see behind a joint called The Stud Bar I took a pic...

I saw these two little guys on Waring Rd in San Diego. Belong to anybody here?

I drove past this for the first time last Saturday. :)

Down the street...

S

Crazy Al tikis in Long Beach

Other tikis in Huntington Beach

Saw these at 6th & Lenrey in El Centro CA. An older upscale neighborhood with wide streets and ornate concrete streetlights, 1930s era houses. I dig the leaning palms over the pond.

T

Hard to see all of the details from the Google map, but there's lots of great stuff by this house in Pacific Beach, San Diego. Trees block most of it, but lots of nautical and tiki treasures hidden here:

You can also play around on the street view- TC won't let me paste the whole address, have to "select" the whole address and copy and paste it? A cool place to check out next time you're in SD.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8049991,-117.2487784,3a,75y,176.43h,86.6t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sQDVVQjw2zXoSPqnTnuFfOQ!2e0

And no, it's not my place but I really want to find out who lives here!

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2014-10-12 10:22 ]

Shoreline Drive Tiki Santa Barbara.

DC

On 2014-10-12 11:46, Dustycajun wrote:
Shoreline Drive Tiki Santa Barbara.

DC

Datsa nice tiki Dusty. Reminds me of a Paul Marshall.
Mahalo!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-10-12 20:25 ]

Not near me, but wanted to share. I've driven by it the past few times in Fort Lauderdale.

It's just off Las Olas in the spot with all the canals, a really cool area of MidCentury places that are unfortunately being replaced with McMansion haciendas.

Pages: 1 30 replies