Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hawaiian influence in Montrose Califonia? The History of this?

Pages: 1 3 replies

Aloha TCers,

I've been wondering for years what the History might be behind the Hawaiian influence in Montrose California?

There is Honolulu ave., Luana St., Pali St. as well as the old Vali Hai area (sign has now been gone for awhile) I also recall hearing that a Tiki Bar was once where the Teri-Yaki place now is.

I do see a scenic similarity (Oahu) while looking at the green mountains while driving west on Foothill or Honolulu, but who started this? Does anyone else know of any other Hawaiian influence in this area and where they came from?

TT

It's an era commonly known as "Polynesian pop", which started in the 1930s in Los Angeles. There is a book called "The Book of Tiki" that..... :D

No, all kidding aside, I don't think it's Montrose-specific. There are neighborhoods all over Los Angeles that have taken their street and place names from the Islands, for example "Hawaiian Gardens". When Jeff Berry still was my neighbor here in Silverlake, he lived on Aloha Street.

Thanx for your reply.

Do you remember the name of the Tiki Bar that was once there in Montrose?

I don't. There was a thread here recently on a place in that neighborhood....there are some folks here on T.C. that live up in them there hills which could perhaps chime in on this.

Pages: 1 3 replies