Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Some NYC Tiki History - and New NYC Tiki Bars

Pages: 1 4 replies

From the NYT - click the links for old reviews too...

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/20/the-way-we-ate-too-old-to-tiki/?src=twt&twt=nytimesdining

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm an enthusiast.

[ Edited by: leisure master 2010-09-02 08:13 ]

D

Thanks for posting this. If I've said it once I said it a thousand times, I missed going to Trader Vic's at The Plaza by days. One day in 1989 arriving there only to see the gates shut and a sign saying they were closed indefinitely. If I had only shown up a year or maybe six months earlier!!

Really curious to see how these new Tiki joints shape up!

In anticipation of a very Tiki summer in NYC, with Painkiller, Hurricane Club and another as-yet-unnamed tropical bar on the way, this website honors five "Pioneering" NYC tiki bars

Unfortunately, no TV, no Hawaii Kai....

oy vey.

NY Post has an, um, update on Hurricane Club

Most troubling is a mention of Tiki Disco, which will be

"an adjacent nightclub...opening in October — that is, if you make it past the tight door. A collaboration with preppy party hosts Tom and Anthony Martignetti, it promises to be the hottest spot for popped pink collars since the ’80s heyday of Trader Vic’s in the Plaza hotel. As Stillman puts it: “Our goal is aggressive fun and 60-ounce banana cocktails”

Zagat has more

Sigh. I'm trying really really hard not to prejudge....

On the good news front...Lani Kai is hiring. I still have very high hopes for this spot...

G

My post on Dram bar in NYC sadly has no responses. So lonely... :(

Pages: 1 4 replies