Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Country Music Fans?

Pages: 1 4 replies

Years ago, I got into country music by way of Hawaiian music. Initially drawn in by the familiar strains of steel guitar I
learned to love the country genre in its own right.

I'm talking about classic "hillbilly" records with lots of hootin' & hollerin' & yodelin' and lyrics about lovin' and cheatin' and drinkin' and fightin' along with more modern acts that pay tribute to this classic sound (examples can be found on HillbillyMusic.com & NoDepression.net).

That's the jumping-off point for my streaming radio show "JUGTOWN" every Thursday from 10 AM - 12 PM EST on PARTY934.com, simulcast on 102.5 FM in the Hudson Valley region of New York.

Country music, rockabilly, blues, I'll play just about anything as long as its got the right amount of twang!

Moonshine Mai-Tai, anyone?

[ Edited by: Thunderlips 2010-01-21 10:11 ]

I like it but not all of it. Bluegrass can be fun too. Round these parts Stanislaus State University broadcasts from their own radio station on campus. They play Delta blues, Hawaiian, Bluegrass, Alternative Rock, and more in blocks, but not much country. I can get that from Kat Country.

The mOdern stuff that I dig- Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, early Neko Case, Starlene out of SF, etc.

Yeah, dig both Uncle Tupelo & Son Volt (especially Son Volt).

Was not familiar with Starlene but I checked out her stuff on MySpace, sounds great. Reminds me a little of Miss Lauren Marie except slightly more modern sounding (Tammy Wynette as opposed to Patsy Cline). "Been Drinkin" will definitely get some airplay on the show.

Definitely channeling Ms. Wynette. I haven't gotten to see them live in a while, but when they busted out "Stand by Your Man" it would knock me out. She can really belt the notes. I've always felt that they should be a lot bigger and well known. Just great honky tonk.

Pages: 1 4 replies