Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Zeta's cabinet of curiosities

Pages: 1 24 replies

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 1:50 PM

This is where I will show some of my favorite "cool stuff" that I have collected over the years. Please critique my junk.

2005 One shot drawing. Done in one seat. No erasing.

[ Edited by: Zeta 2010-02-06 23:35 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 2:48 PM

Rubber toy bought in Cadaques, Spain in 2006 for 4 euros.

Based on Salvador Dali's absurdist painting called "Car clothing" or "Clothed automobile"

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 2:55 PM

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 2:57 PM

Printed in Spain

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 2:59 PM

Beer can Vespa

I love the beer can Vespa! Where can I get one?

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 8:18 PM

Gracias Sweet Daddy Tiki! I bought it in a market in Indonesia.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jan 25, 2010 9:36 AM

Fly ashtray

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 12:09 AM

Why is the horseshoe considered as a good luck charm?

I think I have seen some horseshoes with 7 holes...

On 2010-01-28 00:09, Zeta wrote:
Why is the horseshoe considered as a good luck charm?

from wikipedia:
Horseshoes are considered a good luck charm in many cultures, including those of England and Denmark[1], and its shape, fabrication, placement and manner of sourcing are all important. A common tradition is that if a horseshoe is hung on a door with the two ends pointing up (as shown here) then good luck will occur. However, if the two ends point downwards then bad luck will occur. Traditions do differ on this point, though. In some cultures, the horseshoe is hung points down (so the luck pours onto you); in others, it is hung points up (so the luck doesn't fall out); still in others it doesn't matter so long as the horseshoe has been used (not new), was found (not purchased), and can be touched. In all traditions, luck is contained in the shoe and can pour out through the ends.

In some traditions, any good or bad luck achieved will only occur to the owner of the horseshoe, not the person who hangs it up. Therefore, if the horseshoe was stolen, borrowed or even just found then the owner, not the person who found or stole the horseshoe will get any good or bad luck. Other traditions require that the horseshoe be found to be effective.

One reputed origin of the tradition of lucky horseshoes is the story of Saint Dunstan and the Devil. Dunstan, who would become the Archbishop of Canterbury in AD 959, was a blacksmith by trade. The story relates that he once nailed a horseshoe to the Devil's hoof when he was asked to reshoe the Devil's horse. This caused the Devil great pain, and Dunstan only agreed to remove the shoe and release the Devil after the Devil promised never to enter a place where a horseshoe is hung over the door.

Another theory concerning the placing of horseshoes above doorways is to ward off Faeries; the theory being that supernatural beings are repelled by iron and as horseshoes were an easily available source of iron, they could be nailed above a door to prevent any unwanted, otherworldly guests.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 5:57 PM

Gracias exquisitecorpse!

Muscle Man figurine

Have you seen one of them? I wish I had more... I think I bought this one in a "nutrition" store.

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 6:23 PM

Mexican "chinito" lucky charms...

Each color represent a different area in your life that you want to add some more luck to.
They cannot be purchased for oneself. Magic only works when somebody else give it to you as a gift.
Black "chinito" is the hardest to find due to it's high demand. Black is the sex charm.
The wish comes true when the knot unties and the "chinito" gets lost.
Have you seen them before? Is this from Mexico only?

[ Edited by: Zeta 2010-01-28 18:24 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Jan 29, 2010 9:24 AM

PIRATAZ and a skull and bones hand drawn on a grain of rice in Mexico's Alameda central.

Next time I'll get a Tiki.

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 9:18 PM

Oh boy! I am overwhelmed by your massive response!!!

Old Nikola Tesla Yugoslavian 5 Dinara

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Feb 6, 2010 8:41 PM

On 2010-01-28 17:57, Zeta wrote:
Gracias exquisitecorpse!

Muscle Man figurine

Have you seen one of them? I wish I had more... I think I bought this one in a "nutrition" store.

A picture I took of a Muscle Man somewhere...

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Jul 9, 2010 7:48 AM

On 2010-01-28 18:23, Zeta wrote:
Mexican "chinito" lucky charms...

Each color represent a different area in your life that you want to add some more luck to.
They cannot be purchased for oneself. Magic only works when somebody else give it to you as a gift.
Black "chinito" is the hardest to find due to it's high demand. Black is the sex charm.
The wish comes true when the knot unties and the "chinito" gets lost.
Have you seen them before? Is this from Mexico only?

[ Edited by: Zeta 2010-01-28 18:24 ]

The meaning of the color of the chinito lucky charm finally uncovered

T

Thank god. I have had many sleepless nights wondering about this.

TM

Doctor Zeta, perhaps you know what this is?

http://www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/81052101218_450x450_a.jpg

I am always amazed to see these in such common places like Walgreens!

Santeria! Scary stuff!

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Jul 10, 2010 12:15 AM

On 2010-07-09 17:44, TikiPug wrote:

Tikipug, you are a master in the art of subtle sarcasm.
Your sense of humor is very sharp for a retirement home!

CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!
CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!

T

On 2010-07-10 00:15, Zeta wrote:

On 2010-07-09 17:44, TikiPug wrote:

Tikipug, you are a master in the art of subtle sarcasm.
Your sense of humor is very sharp for a retirement home!

CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!
CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!

Hey clapping monkey, are you in a retirement home? Because I'm not.

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Jul 11, 2010 1:29 AM

Tikipug, listen fatty, I'm sure I am younger, smarter and more handsome than you.
I suggest you simply stay away from my posts and threads if you don't want be put down by me again.
You have a problem (probably a small dick or are a pussy whipped or both) and for some strange reason you chose to take it out on me. Weird. My guess is that you are just jealous because you post crap and I post content. Even when I post crap like this reply, my crap is better than yours. My contribution to this site and tiki culture is enormous compared to yours. You are a nobody and you need some attention. Read some books, travel around, have fun, open your mind. I bet that would improve your posts and make you a better human being.
P.S. Clapping monkeys are cool

A drawing I did years ago in Madrid. (I also draw better than you. What is it that you do anyway?)
Now please just drop it. Ignore me. it's simple.

T

On 2010-07-11 01:29, Zeta wrote:
Tikipug, listen fatty, I'm sure I am younger, smarter and more handsome than you.
I suggest you simply stay away from my posts and threads if you don't want be put down by me again.
You have a problem (probably a small dick or are a pussy whipped or both) and for some strange reason you chose to take it out on me. Weird. My guess is that you are just jealous because you post crap and I post content. Even when I post crap like this reply, my crap is better than yours. My contribution to this site and tiki culture is enormous compared to yours. You are a nobody and you need some attention. Read some books, travel around, have fun, open your mind. I bet that would improve your posts and make you a better human being.
P.S. Clapping monkeys are cool

A drawing I did years ago in Madrid. (I also draw better than you. What is it that you do anyway?)
Now please just drop it. Ignore me. it's simple.

Coming soon.... a witty retort

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jul 12, 2010 9:30 PM

Super cool vintage mini plastic toys

Where do they came from?! Bought them in la lagunilla flea market in Mexico City

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, May 1, 2011 10:01 PM

On 2010-01-22 14:55, Zeta wrote:

Dead

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jun 2, 2011 10:45 PM

Zeta
I sent you a PM but never heard back and now I notice it is unread. Here it is abbreviated.

Posted: 2011-05-24 00:04 &nbspUnviewed Zeta

The time has finally come... We talked briefly on Skype and I had hoped to talk about your presentation and how to make it happen in an easy way but we didn't really cover much.

Please email me or call me
415-335-1624
[email protected]

Pages: 1 24 replies