Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tuesdays at Smuggler's Cove

Pages: 1 27 replies

H

Ready to get your Snuggle... er, Smuggle on? Every Tuesday, any time from 5pm 'til close, is when us locals are getting together at Smuggler's Cove in San Francisco. You know the drill: if you can make it on a Tuesday, give a heads up to the masses on this thread. No worries if you think you're the only one, there are always friendly faces at Smuggler's Cove.

Smuggler's Cove
650 Gough St. (at McAllister)
http://smugglerscovesf.com

(I know it's late notice for this week, but I'll be there tonight!)

L

I have been reading the reviews on Yelp! for the Cove this afternoon.

Really interesting to see non-Tiki and non-Tiki Central folks take on the bar. Seems like they are pretty mixed between low and high marks.

I understand a new bar has plenty of growing pains but I would like to be able to go and make my own review so I figure I might as well make the trek out to check it out some Tuesday soon.

J

Hmm….. Some people are calling it a pirate bar and some people are calling it a Tiki bar.

What does Tiki Central think?

Do the classic Tiki-style purists here appreciate pirates (and Daiquiris and Mojitos) inside the Tiki bar?

Remember both the Enchanted Tiki Room and Pirates of the Caribbean managed to co-exist in Adventureland. :)

The Jungle Cruise as well but I don't think there's any Jungle-style iconography in Smugglers's Cove. (Hey, there's an idea !!)

H

On 2010-01-30 20:11, JOHN-O wrote:

Remember both the Enchanted Tiki Room and Pirates of the Caribbean managed to co-exist in Adventureland. :)

Technically, Pirates of the Caribbean is in New Orleans Square. And why the past tense? Are they no longer co-existing? Did the Pirates finally raid the Tiki Room and steal all the parrots.

Oh and considering that parrots are maybe the only thing in common with the Tiki Room and Pirates of the Caribbean, are there even any parrots to be found at Smuggler's Cove? For some reason I hope not.

H

Smuggler's Cove isn't piratey, but it is definitely on the nautical end of tiki. With Pirates of the Caribbean being such a big deal not that long ago, it's just what the general public is likely to see right off the bat when they see dim lights and rigging. There are no pirates, and no parrots. Not that anyone's getting their long john silvers in a bunch over it.

Oh, why, hello there, Tuesday! Why yes, yes I would love to join you in a frosty cocktail tonight. Don't mind if I do.

I always liked you, Tuesday.

M

Come on down!

R

Sooo, then I need to plan my summer trip out there to include a Tuesday night yeah? Can I work the door again?

On 2010-02-02 19:05, rugbymatt wrote:
Sooo, then I need to plan my summer trip out there to include a Tuesday night yeah? Can I work the door again?

I loved those times when you worked the door!

I like to describe SC as a bar designed by the guys who make Pirates of the Caribbean. It gets the point across easily to non-Tiki folk. And I don't care if the tipsy level of SC is low, the atmosphere and drinks are both top-notch.

And Tuesdays are great. Now I have to start getting all the Wednesday Bay Area hearings...

T

On 2010-02-02 15:51, Humuhumu wrote:
With Pirates of the Caribbean being such a big deal not that long ago.

I heard that there is going to be another Pirates of the Caribbean coming out. I thought three movies and then its over.

Ok, back to the nautical and not pirate yet totally tiki bar, The S. Cove.

L

SO I am excited...VanTiki is in town and will be at the Cove on Wednesday . Even though its not TC night if any of you could make the trip that day to see him or even come over from Forbidden Island I am sure he would love to meet more of you all.

Personally I am excited to see the Cove myself. And being that I work in the city and am off at 4 I will actually be able to get in when they open.

M

yay, Tuesdays it is. I'll stop by tonight after dinner drinks at Magnolia Brew Pub (it is SF beer week after all). Hope to see some folks later!

M

TONIGHT!

Added bonus: The first person to come up to me, shake my hand, and say "Chi Chi Pache!" with even a modicum of enthusiasm will get two great Dress Circle seats to the Wednesday Feb, 10th performance of the San Francisco Ballet. We're keepin' it Klassy at the Kove!

Mahalo!

M

There were some of us there! too bad I didn't see the secret handshake until now tho. damn

Ron got to #140

Jen got to #62

and I (Jackie) got to #15 (working towards voyager level)

good night, I'd say.

See you next Tuesday!

L

Screw Tuesdays..I will be meeting VanTiki and his wife at the Cove tonight.

Regardless of it not being TC night I am looking forward to seeing the place and sampling some tasty beverages.

I am tired of reading all of you guys blah, blah, blah about the place its time I saw it for myself!

I've just returned from a week and a half in Hawaii, and goodness, could I use a solid cocktail. I love Hawaii (shocking, I know), but man are the drinks bad. Oof.

Naturally, I'm going to be hightailing it to Smuggler's Cove as soon as I punch out of the ol' work clock. See you there!

J

I'll be waiting outside on Sat 2/20 when it opens. I'm also gonna try for FI on Fri.

We'll see how the FI/SC cocktails stack up against DTBC/TH/TT in the No CA vs So CA Tiki SmackDown.

Who's gonna be the real winner here? I am !! :)

CL

The more Tiki the better. There's no smackdown. It's all Tiki Love baby and both places are great.

H

It's Tuesday, and OH MY GOODNESS LOOK AT THAT -- someone put a kickass tiki bar right in my backyard.

See you guys there!

On

R

Way!!

H

It's Tuesday, which means I'm smuggling some chicken in some biskits, and I'm smuggling those biskits into Smuggler's Cove. The password is "the men's room is out of potato salad, and I'm hungry."

See you there.

mmmmmmmmmmmm Chicken n Biskits.

Jeff(btd)

I was surrounded by friends last night (thank you all) but yet I felt so lonely. :( It's not your fault.

--cindy

H

Tonight at Smuggler's Cove:

JenTiki finishes 100 rums, becoming a Guardian of the Cove!
It all goes down right around 7 o'clock. It's a heart-warming and only slightly creepy ceremony, you won't want to miss it.

Humu's brother makes a rare appearance!
With his girlfriend! The two of them are a full on tag-team of awesome, and are considering reversing The Great Shift North trend by moving here from Portland. Talk them into/out of it.

It's a big night at the Cove, but to be honest tomorrow's even bigger:

Wednesday, Iniquitiki finishes 200 RUMS, becoming the first Master of the Cove!
200 rums in just three months -- the man is unstoppable. Come see the Ronicorn reveal its full majesty tomorrow night at Smuggler's Cove.

(And on Thursday, I'm going to have a great, big nap.)

I've had too many Xanax today, so I'm in no condition to drink tonight. Perhaps next week.

H

After missing out on all kinds of wonderful social interaction last week thanks to an awful cold, I'm RARING TO GO for tonight's weekly tiki shindig at Smuggler's Cove.

H

Another Tuesday, another Rum Barrel. Or Demerara Dry Float. Or Port Royal. I haven't decided yet. See you there!

H

A very special Tuesday at Smuggler's Cove: Rocky Yeh is in town! He lives in Seattle, and in the heart of everyone who has ever met him.

Pages: 1 27 replies