Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

CheekyGirl's San Fernando Valley ART/CHOP - 3/19/10 aka "The Great Brownie Massacre of 2010"

Pages: 1 2 86 replies

Hil,

I'm making Kahlua Pork and my My BF will be grilling dogs and burgers for lunch, so I'm okay for the main stuff.

If anyone wants to bring snacky stuff, I dunno like: chips, cookies, soda, water, anything is cool. Any side stuff you might want with your dogs or burgers (small pasta salad or potato salad?)

And....Grog is a choc-o-holic...so if you want to tempt him into coming with warm, chocolately brownies---it might do the trick!

T

I think I just may have to whip up a batch of brownies for the chop :)

Thanks Nelva for hosting this time.

I'll see everyone Saturday around noonish.

TikiG

tiki since '67!

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-03-17 10:27 ]

My Mulberry tree is just starting to bud, which if anyone has ever experienced a fruiting Mulberry Tree--they are giant mess. After the fruit mature and ends its cycle, I'll be able to host another SFV Chop.
The tiki gods have been kind -- no rain, forecast for Saturday 79 degrees and sunny.

On another note, is 10:00 am too early for everyone? If so, no problem with switching the time to noon.

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Mar 17, 2010 1:17 PM

I'm moving up to Palmdale on the first of April...everything that's not going with me is being donated to a charity. I'm scheduled with a truck pick-up of these things on Saturday morning between nine and noon.

Your starting time doesn't affect me one way or the other - I'm grateful to be able to hang-out and art-out with my tiki friends regardless!

I'm assuming the chop will last until late afternoon-early evening anyway, right?

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 17, 2010 1:26 PM

GROG can definitely be tempted by brownies! GROG worried what might be in Tiki G's brownies, though.

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Mar 17, 2010 1:44 PM

:lol:

only the finest ingredients, Sir Grog

...well well well you're feeling fine...well well well we'll make you :wink:

i wont be able to make it up for this one. sorry all, someone be sure to take pictures!

K
kirby posted on Wed, Mar 17, 2010 6:56 PM

Im planning on stopin buy to carve and hang for a bit..

Cool, Kirb-ster, I'm still in awe of how you carved up that tiki at Tiki G's chop, just from the looking at the mug--real talent there. I'll have to hit you up for some tips on the tiki I started, it's so 2 dimensional.

And Thomas, I thought you and Billy were driving up together? Billy you still coming?

yeah we were gonna, but ive got a meeting for work my boss sprung on me for saturday, and ive got midterms on monday to study for. hopefully ill be able to make it up to a san fernando valley chop one of these days

Aloha!

I never have been to a tiki chop and my husband and I are interested in going. Have a dumb question, do we have to bring our own wood and instruments? Excuse my ignorance. Thanks

Anyone going to the chop tomorrow own this mug as part of his/her collection?

And if so, if it's not too much trouble, could you please bring it for me to look at? Thanks

Buzzy Out!

H

I will bring some appetizers and chips and stuff. Buzzy I am glad to see you are coming. See everyone there.

Pics..Pics..We want to see Pics! We are in Puerto Vallarta or else we would be there :)

On 2010-03-19 17:06, hiltiki wrote:
Buzzy I am glad to see you are coming.

Car battery died today...Ugh! I was trying to get the old battery out and snapped the corroded terminal off. Stupid terminal isn't a screw on one either so the car has to go to the shop. Hopefully they'll be done early enough for me to come up. I figure as long as they're done by 1230- 1pm I should still make it.

Buzzy Out!

M
mieko posted on Fri, Mar 19, 2010 8:41 PM

Family stuff came up, so I can't make it. Have a good time everyone.

T

Dang.

We're down in San Diego this weekend... was hoping I'd be able to come out for this!

Well, please be sure to post lots of pix! Have a great chop!

Tikilands...sorry I didn't notice you're post. Usually peeps bring their own log. Sometimes other peeps will have extra logs and bring them to share. I've got carving tools, available and am happy to share. I've got one extra log in case someone needs one. It's a small one. I'll PM you the address just in case.

Buzzy, we'll be around for a while and if need be, we have an extra room if you want to crash.

Car's almost fixed...

I should be leaving in about an hour!

Buzzy Out!

H

Yeah!!! good news Buzzy. I will see everyone in two minutes.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 20, 2010 8:56 PM

High drama at the chop, today! GROG was almost devastated and nearly left. But, all in all it was a good chop and very fun. Thanks Cheeky Girl and Jeff for hosting. We missed you Buzzy. (Damned traffic!)

I'm really bummed I couldn't make it up. I didn't get the car back from the shop until 1:30 this afternoon. After loading my tiki and tools, I got on the road at about 2. I hit unexpected gridlock and found there was an accident and back up on the freeway that was several miles long. :(
I figured at best, I'd get there at about 5-5:30. I just decided to turn around and cut my losses. Hopefully I'll see most of you next week at the Tonga Hut.

Buzzy Out!

On 2010-03-20 20:56, GROG wrote:

High drama at the chop, today! GROG was almost devastated and nearly left.

Did that have anything to with some brownies?

Yes, high drama! Grog nearly packed up and left. Everyone did everything to comfort and calm Grog in order keep him from going into Cave-man frenzie of destruction.

Murph had brought brownies to keep the Grog sated and peaceful at the chop.

However, Capt. Falernum, in fit of jealousy and rage that his glazed donuts were being ignored....with a violent flick of his wrist, sent the delicious tub of brownies crashing to the ground.

My dog leapt into action, in an attempt to salvage some of the delicious pastries. You can see the Capt. feighning regret claiming it was an "accident". Accident, hum, notice how every single brownie hit the dirt? Accident, you be the judge....

But alas, they ended up here:

We were able to pacify Grog with this:

Hindsight is 20-20, but we should have placed the brownies in the baby's protective seat:

However, Capt. Falernum, sensing the simmering anger and fearing reprisal at the next chop quietly excused himself. Seeking redemption, he returned, offering up a new virgin offering of a brownies.

Crisis Averted.

H

Cheekygirl, thank you for such a fun chop, it was nice seeing some old friends and some new ones. By the way, I liked the white powdered brownies the best! Kirby you have the cutest baby ever.

M
Murph posted on Sun, Mar 21, 2010 2:00 PM

What a great time!
Funny... I had dreams of screaming, terrorizing giant brownies all night.
Not sure if it was due to the Rum or the Potcheen.

A most excellent afternoon. THANKS!

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Mar 22, 2010 8:17 AM

I had a fab time at CheekyGirls chop last Saturday. Thanks to Nelva and Jeff for hosting :) Yay!! The San Fernando Valley hosts two chops so far in 2010 :wink:

Just to let everyone know - it wasn't all about the spoilt brownies you know! Some art was born as well...and as usual the creative universe included carving, lamping, painting and claying.

So...enough of my raving just take a look at my pics and see for yourself:

Please enter...the Lilo Lounge but-

-enter at your own risk!

Melekalikimaka paints CheekyGirls' chop scene

Geedavee out back carving tiki with tux

Kirby starts on his tiki mask

Tyler checking out the scene and soaking it all in

PolynesianPop works on his coconut-monkey lamp

Murph displays his in-process Kraken Rum bottle beachcomber lamp

Grog hard at work with a fresh Java Bob mug

Tyler and Polly share a moment together

Kirby applies flame to his carved mask

Grog's Java Bob mugs all in a row

Melekalikimaka's in-process chop scene painting ensures the infamous brownies are immortalized

Capt. R.H. Falernum makes up for lost treats - he delivers a new batch from store - cool!

That's all for now...HEY!! if anyone has a pic of me painting please post it :)

Thanks, G

TikiG

tiki since '67!

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-03-22 08:19 ]

I've got more pics...but I was so tired after the chop. I was busy cleaning my sty in order to make it somewhat presentable for the chop. I will post more after work! Thanks TikiG for the pics and everyone for coming and making it a blast!

Thanks Cheeky Girl for hosting an awesome chop. I wish I had done a little more work, but the food and the fun were great. Can't wait til the next Valley chop.

Thank you CheekyGirl for being a great & gracious host. There could not have been a better introduction to the world of chops.

Thanks also to everyone working on pieces at the chop. Seeing the many talented artists at work was a great inspiration to take up a chisel, brush or blowtorch in the near future!

On a personal note, I'm glad to have finally found a receptive audience to my very specific (and incredibly brilliant) brownie-based performance art. With full humility, we all must agree that this could be the most compelling & important artistic work of our generation. I'll be taking this act on the road in Spring/Summer 2010 -- invite me to your party & I'll lay waste to the tastiest desserts in arm's reach.

Yours truly,
Captain (of destruction) Falernum

T

Hey Capt! -

Are you in anyway related to KEITH MOON?

So. Cal needs a master of the fine art of auto-destruction :wink:

Damn! the beginning of a whole new genre of PolyPop art and I'm proud to say I witnessed its birth :lol:

I don't want to post too many duplicates, so here's a few more pictures:

Kirby arrives to the chop in style...

TikiG working on his piece...

Taking a break...

The "guard dog" protecting his work...

Jeff manning the grill....

Murph putting the finishing touches on the Kracken beachcomber light...

Hiltiki checking out some carvings...

(BTW, Hiltiki, those tortilla chips were killer!)

A closer look at geedavee's tux tiki...

Great chop, hope to host in another few months. By then the tree will fruiting mulberry will end its cycle and will only provide much needed shade in the coming hot months of the valley.

Thanks everyone for coming!

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Mar 23, 2010 1:35 PM

Thanks for the pics! G

TT

Yes indeed, thank you for all the pix everyone!

It looks like it was not only a grand time, but a great event! How come you guys do all this now AFTER I leave Da Valley?

Mango...really we didn't plan it that way!

I'm SUPER bummed I couldn't make this one and get rid of some of these logs. Thomas found out he couldn't make it at the last minute and that was right about the time I faded into obscurity for a spell.(stress WILL kill you) I still have an ASSLOAD (as in DONKEYLOAD) of logs. I need a chop soon before I go totally mad.

G

Not exactly sure where to post this but since it is a local event in the SGV, I thought I would try it here rather than to start a new thread.

For any carvers in the SFV and SGV areas that are looking for carving tools, there is an Old Tool Swap Meet in Pasadena at Arroyo Hardwoods.
2707 E. Foothill Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91107
http://www.arroyohardwoods.com/

This Saturday, June 12th, 2010
6AM-NOON

I went last year and I picked up a few good tools for a decent price.
These are mostly old-school tools like draw knives, spokeshaves, planers, etc.

Here is some info.
http://www.toolswapusa.com/SwapMeetSchedule.htm

Just passin' it on.

That's good info Dave! Good to know where to get you're hands on some tools.

And the stupid berries are all over the ground right now...I'm hoping to host another chop, maybe in Oct. (I've got a lot of things going in June/July and there are a lot of events in August. The valley is miserable in Aug/Sept. anyhow.

Pages: 1 2 86 replies