Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The show me your Witco Conquistador thread.

Pages: 1 24 replies

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Jan 27, 2010 6:30 PM

Please share!

On 2006-10-02 14:38, junk4cash wrote:
Here is a pic of the smokestand. Thanx.

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Jan 27, 2010 6:32 PM

On 2006-12-09 19:19, Tikisgrl wrote:
Found this today, Conquistador? By Witco?

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Jan 27, 2010 6:49 PM

On 2009-10-02 10:51, bigbrotiki wrote:
Meddle with an original Witco artifact? Doesn't the fact that it is featured in that great Witco Gallery photo in Tiki Modern account for anything:

O well, I guess Conquistador Style doesn't get any respect around here.... :D

I might have to put my "The Book of Conquistador" project on ice til the awareness for the subject has blossomed more fully.

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Jan 27, 2010 6:58 PM

On 2008-08-08 19:40, boutiki wrote:
I figured that y'all would be interested as well in seeing more Witco even if it's not strictly Tiki in subject matter. Sadly, we don't have nearly enough room for all these cool pieces and we'll have to let some go soon. Some of my favorites:

Sven says "musical instrument." I say "modernist abstraction."

This piece is pretty remarkable. The depth and complexity (both of the carving and forced perspective) is wonderful and the little details like the metal cross and painted sun are just great.

...or want to sail the tall ships:

Maybe you are a Spanish conquistador? You probably need these. (Think I should challenge Basement Kahuna and his weapons? Maybe not.)

You'd probably want an image of your king and queen as well:

...and maybe these too:

If you are a lover rather than a fighter, perhaps a musical instrument to serenade your sweetie?

Where do you put all those pesky magazines? Why, in your llama of course.

This guy will help light the way:

... and this firetool holder will help you stoke those flames:

So you see, there really is something for everyone. All in all, it's a very Witco world!

-Duke

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Jan 27, 2010 7:12 PM

On 2007-04-27 16:13, bigbrotiki wrote:
Sorry...I don't wanna be mean now. TK, the "bowing out/too far gone" reply obviously does only marginally refer to your inquiry.
I never turn my back on an honest question (especially when I provoked it), and everyone here knows that I never tire, and am always happy to repeat my old adage:

"If it says Tiki on it, it should have Tiki in it!" or, in this case, that would be:

"If it says Tiki on it, it should have Tiki ON it!"

This is a Tiki Snob mantra invoked to slow down the inevitable watering down of the style. Inevitable, because there will always be people who will share your "liberal" point of view. Example:

This lovely Witco ensemble will be pictured in my upcoming book. Inevitably, in the future, this Conquistador furniture will be referred to as "Tiki" by some, because it

A) is depicted in a book with the title "Tiki Modern", and

B) some of it was selected by Elvis to grace his Jungle Room !

So, while the Elvises of this world will have a ball in THEIR vision of Tiki, we the Tiki snobs and Tiki elitists will continue to talk like fags (see "Idiocracy") and huddle together, and, with a sneer and a crazy grin on our faces, go on mumbling "...FOOLS, ALL!...THEY are crazy...WE know better..hee hee..", and everyone will be happy in their own way! :)

TM

On 2010-01-27 18:30, Zeta wrote:
Please share!

On 2006-10-02 14:38, junk4cash wrote:
Here is a pic of the smokestand. Thanx.

Cool, this is a Trabuco, correct?

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 9:11 AM

Gracias Tipsy y Lucas!
I am not sure if that's a trabuco... looks like it, but Witco is loco. One thing is for sure. It's feo!
I notice there's some dusty stuff posted above that is more into the "king and queen, castle style" than into the "Conquistador" style... But then again, Spain WAS and still IS a kingdom.
Also, I am not sure about the Lamas belonging to the "Conquistador" style, but I am sure many conquistadores saw many lamas during their conquering years!
So as we can see, it gets messy. And that's why we need as many examples of the PURE Conquistador style as we can find.
I would really like to make an article about the "Witco Conquistador Style" (WCS) for my Spanish/Mexican Tiki Fanzine. Help needed.

Conquistadores UNITE!!!

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-02-24 07:39 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-02-24 07:40 ]

K

This bar was in a house I used to rent for vacation. It has since been remodeled and de-tikified. Some things were kept in a storage area and a few are weathering outside on the patio. The 2 chairs went with the table that's in the storage room.

In better days:

T

Bigbrotiki wrote:
So, while the Elvises of this world will have a ball in THEIR vision of Tiki, we the Tiki snobs and Tiki elitists will continue to talk like fags...

Right on! Now I know I'm elite, 'cause whenever I see the "Elvises" promoting their deviant version of tiki, I start talking like a fag! Woohoo! Oh, behave!...

(Just having some fun here Bigbro, I think the world of you.)

Does anyone else start singing that song by Procul Harum everytime they look at this thread? Just wondering!

Err, instead of just quoting other people, maybe they could be given the chance to post their own stuff?

This thread seems kind of one sided, if'n ya know what I mean.

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-02-24 07:39 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, May 12, 2010 5:14 PM

I just want to see all the conquistador's in one thread. To get an idea of how big this line of Witco is. I enjoy it for myself and thought others my enjoy it too. I am trying to encourage TCers to appreciate (in case that you don't like it already) collect preserve and share this part of crazy furniture history. I just wanna have some fun!

T

I posted a picture of what I think is a Witco conquistador in the collecting tiki forum. Sorry but I can't copy and paste the link from my phone. Can you look and tell me what you think?

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jun 7, 2010 8:39 PM

On 2010-06-03 19:57, TikiRenee wrote:
Hi all,

I ran across this lamp in a store today. I have seen some WITCO, but this is unfamiliar to me. Can anyone identify it? Is it WITCO? I know they did a lot of items with a "Spanish" influence, but this looks a little...off...to me. Sorry about the photo quality, it came from my phone.

Thanks for the assistance,
Tikirenee

I have no clue... looks conquistador to me.

TD

W

I actually like the Witco Conquistador stuff more than Witco Tiki. The conquistador line is more inventive in design and the subject and material work better as pieces.

The Hobnobber in Burien, Washington has some original Witco decor on its walls, the giant chess pieces and one or two of the abstract musical instruments. (At least it did 2 years ago when I was there last.)

I dropped into the Hobnobber in Burien, WA today, during a drive back to Seattle. I didn't know anything about it except that it was old and divey. I noticed the Witco, and thought "I need to ask Woof Mutt about that." When I got home I thought I'd just try googling hobnobber burien witco and I found -- Woof Mutt.

Anyway, the Witco is still there, although the pieces with musical instruments have been integrated into some larger, mixed media, less traditional compositions combining the original pieces with work in the NASCAR beer company balloon car medium.

Saw these today.
I think they go here

I think this guy goes here:

Not sure if he's Witco or a knock-off, but I got him for super cheap.
Was hoping to trade him someday, but now my husband and son LOVE him, so he's a keeper.

Pages: 1 24 replies