Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

tiki light/lamp from kona hawaii - looking for new fixture or name of store!

Pages: 1 5 replies

I know this is my first post, and its a long shot, but I've searched far and clear at hardware stores and the internet (and the forums) and I can't find the answer. When I visited the Big Island Hawaii, I bought the tiki light/lamp pictured below at a store in downtown Kona (in the mall). The actual fixture itself stopped working (after a cross-country move) and I've been to home depot, lowes etc cannot find a replacement fixture, or the name of the store to try and buy a new one.

I figured if anyone on the internet might have an inkling of an answer to the question, this would be the place. Thanks!

Nice lamp.. I would just go pick up another fixture cord and solder the wires to that same base, it looks alright from the pics..

I've actually replaced the cord once (2 years ago) because the lamp stopped working after flying home with it but thenafter moving across the country it stopped again. I went and bought a new cord and that didn't work so it's got to be the fixture!

M

If the base socket screws into the wood bottom I would use a standard two piece base socket as a replacement.

http://www.servicelighting.com/Westinghouse-22266-Standard-Base-Porcelain-Two-Piece-Socket

thanks murph!

so does that piece unscrew and the botton half has screw holes?

T

Not much can go wrong with that socket. Not much at all. Try this: Put a screwdriver in, and bend the center tab up slightly. No contact with the bulb is a common problem.

Thing is, the wires connect to the metal tabs on the bottom. Each should be connected directly to the screw contact and tab contact in the socket. Nothing to foul up there, unless the solder link from one tab to its contact has broken, in which case you may be able to pull off the bottom tab easily because the link is broken and prove it. There are no wires, connections or electronics in there to get out of order. The only possibility within the socket is that the connection has been broken in the tiny distance between tab and contact.

Unless the contact has been broken, it can only be the cord; did you try a brand new cord AND brand new bulb? Not to sound like I'm calling you stupid, but I collect vintage lighting, and I've tried three burnt-out bulbs in a row; I also used to have a bad cord that kept finding its way back into my cords bin, and I'd occasionally put it on something and scratch my head, before noticing it was the only cord with a plug like that and I'd seen it before. (I eventually cut it to bits)

Pages: 1 5 replies