Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Tonga Hut Dottie Memorial Party Sat. 1-6pm

Pages: 1 12 replies

The  Tonga Hut is saddened to learn that our beloved Dorothy "Dottie" Raub passed away today
Feb 1 2010 she was 87 years young.  What a pleasure it was to have known Dottie as  I'm sure you would all agree.
 Dottie and her husband made their first venture to the Tonga Hut in 1961 they patronized the bar 6 days a week taking only Sunday off and rainy days. Dottie in those days drank Brandy Alexanders and her husband  drank Scotch and Soda. In the early 1980's her husband passed away and in remembrance of him Dottie made her "usual" a well Scotch and Soda with a lemon twist and a water back.    

Dottie could tell you anything about the Tonga Hut you could possibly want to know and all it's customers through the years as well as it's changes. Mostly she like to talk of family, her children, your children, shopping, hair do's you know, girl talk. 

Here is Dottie's Tonga Hut routine:
Get all dressed up in a cute outfit with matching earrings, smell pretty, have make up on and hair do complete.
Take two buses to get to the Hut by 4:00 for Happy Hour
Hut must have her chair outside the door in case she's early she won't have to stand
Open at 4:00 let her in help her be seated up to the bar
Same seat everyday no one is allowed on her stool
Use a scruffy worn bar stool so it grabs her and she doesn't slide off
Pour her Cocktail, Well Scotch and Soda with a lemon twist (not a lemon get it right) water back use fat straws not thin 
use coasters not cocktail napkins
Use a Collins glass not a old fashion
Dottie will be at the bar till 6:00 so that's a drink at 4:00 and another at 5:00 on the dot
First cocktail done, do not dump the dirty ice and lemon twist add new ice and make new cocktail with lemon twist this way she is able to keep track of how many and what time it is
Give her extras napkins for her snacks from home little tids & bits and give her pretzels broken ones even better
2nd drink gone it must be 6:00 her son Mike is outside in the car waiting to pick her up and she can't be late
Help her unhook her purse from under the bar help with sweater and and shopping bags she may have
Help her to the car on some days. 

Rest in peace Dottie we love you so.....

More info to come as we learn of services. Please feel free to contact the Tonga Hut. 
Please post if you have memories you would like to share. 

Dottie's Memorial party will be held at the Tonga Hut by the Raub Family this Saturday Feb. 6th from 1:00-6pm with drink specials and Happy Hour till 8:00pm

Photos old and new of Dottie &The Tonga Hut are here to view.

Snacks And Pot Luck being served. Please feel free to bring a snack or side dish. Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-02-02 00:20 ]

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-02-02 01:28 ]

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-02-03 19:16 ]

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-02-03 20:04 ]

That is beautiful, and a fitting memory. Thank you for sharing.

CJ

she was the only none douchy person there when I first visited The Tonga Hut a few years ago

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 2, 2010 12:18 PM

This is sad news. Dottie was AWESOME. GROG definitely coming to Tonga Hut Saturday to toast to Dottie. We need to add Dottie to the Society of the Drooling Bastard.

[ Edited by: grog 2010-02-06 01:56 ]

J

That is an amazing story Kelly, thank you.

Dottie was probably the greatest Tikiphile in the world. I wish I could have met her.

She was there at classic Tiki-style's birth, she remained loyal through the devolution, and then she witnessed the revival.

ML

I was truly saddened when I woke up this morning and saw the text message on my phone from Hiphipahula about Dottie. I never chatted up much with her but I sat next to her at the bar many many times. She was very sweet and a well mannered lady. Everyone in the bar always offered to help her down from the bar stool and out if she needed it. She was a very small lady.

She was a welcome fixture and the place will not seem the same.

I second the motion: she should be remembered either in the Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastard or with a photo plaque on the wall. Perhaps Jeremy could make sure her bar stool is left vacant every day from 4 to 6 in remembrance (maybe with a reserved sign). Like Nick's does in Beverly Hills for Dean Martin...to this day.

I think I will go to Tonga Hut tonight and raise a glass to Dottie.

She will be missed by all of us Tongans!!

ML

[ Edited by: Marty Lush 2010-02-02 13:44 ]

ML

I wonder if anyone has a photo of Dottie at the Hut? I'm sure there are some around somehwere.

Dottie's seat was indeed already reserved. Thanks Marty, there are some old photos we were gonna drag out at the hut Dottie was planning to tell us who everyone was. That was about 2 weeks ago. She was excited about becoming a member of the "loyal order" she also was aware that a placard was being placed at her seat at the bar. We were just days short of being done.

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 7:55 AM

I'm sad to hear the news. God Bless You, Dottie - you will be missed by everyone.

While watching from Heaven - please grace the Tonga Hut every once in a while in spirit and say Hello...you're welcome and your seat is always waiting.

Here's a photo I took the evening of Saturday, January 9 of this year.
L to R: Hiphipahula, Melekalikimaka & Dottie (unfortunately Dottie's face is turned away from my camera.)

Dottie's Memorial party will be held at the Tonga Hut by the Raub Family this Saturday Feb. 6th from 1:00-6pm with drink specials and Happy Hour till 8:00pm

Photos old and new of Dottie &The Tonga Hut are here to view.

Snacks And Pot Luck being served. Please feel free to bring a snack or side dish. Mahalo!

I was one of the fortunate people that had the pleasure of meeting Dottie. As a matter of fact, the first time I met her was unfortunately the last.

Full life? I think so. Dottie and her hubby will be toasting everyone in that big Tiki Bar in the sky!

CHEERS!

I won't be able to make it to the Tonga Hut tomorrow, but you can bet I'll have a drink in her honor!

R.I.P.

T

So sad to hear the news!
Manuel and I will be there tomorrow to remember Dottie! She was a Tonga Hut fixture! She will be missed!

Just saw this, so sad, hope she's at the big Tiki Bar in the sky dancing the night away.

Pages: 1 12 replies