Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Converting/ modifying bone tools

Pages: 1 4 replies

R

Hey! I was reading that some people have trouble using dremill (rotary tool) etc to carve bone. There are alot of different tricks to changing and even rebuilding rotary tools.
Dremill are impossible to hold for any mortal! Alot of people change them by adding a handle. Iv seen parts of broom sticks glued to them! :lol: other people will shape their own handles. Im using plastic. Its tricky to mount the handle. I usually duct tape it on and glue it when im sure its in the perfect spot. The handle should be mounted abit closer to the front than 1/2 way and tilting forward. (dermill actuall make some new ones that have handles and are 1/2 the size, expensive tho)
I have used both but Flexi shaft is not good for bone (imo) its only for carving stone. Only because it has alot of torque, and is infamous at losing or surging power. Direct drive has more power and no torque. Just getting the carbide head in correctly is abit of a misson (i have a cheap rotary tool). If its out by 1mm you can hardly tell, except the head jumps and leaves cuts uneaven and rough (better to get a quality dremill instead). Almost all bone tools need some modifying. Using/ adding an extraction system with tools is standard pratice. Also some people add a plastic cover to the front of the dremill to stop dust intake.
Hopefully i'll post some modifyed sanders with extraction later
direct drive rotary tool

Thanks for the tip! Can you show use how you use it with the handle and any other tips you may have would be great. Thanks

BTD

I agree totally that trying to work with a full size Dremel in your hand can be quite a cramp-inducing experience. For me, I found that getting the flex-shaft attachment for my Dremel has made all the difference in the world.

R

I use to swear by the flexi shaft its real easy to hold. But in reality i had not learnt how to use it direct drive. Then this guy convinced me to try it. I have flex shafts on the wall now(not in use). You get them free with some rotary tools! :lol: Direct has alot more power and wont surge if you push hard(ish)video
"How to use it with a handle" Video is the guy who converted me: :D :lol:

EMBED I TELL YOU!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDIO5fGRFSI

[ Edited by: Rainhawk 2010-02-25 01:43 ]

Nice, simple modification.

I don't know about cramp inducing, but using a Dremel for more than 30-45 minutes at a time definitely makes your hand hot from the motor exhaust and your thumb and fingers numb from the vibrations! Nice, simple modification.

As for quality tools, I started with a cheap $10 Chinese made knock-off. It was very loud and chattered a lot, to the point where I could actually see the burr or bit wobbling around while rotating. I moved up to a no-name rotary tool of incremental quality ($20), and it was more quiet, but ran really hot. I think I could use it for about 10 minutes before I had to put it down. I finally went and spent $40 on a 300 Series Dremel, and was like a Cadillac compared to the other two. There is definitely something to be said for good tools.

Pages: 1 4 replies