Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 2-3-10 Playlist

Pages: 1 3 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: February 3, 2010

Be sure to listen to Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge next Wednesday, 5-6 P.M. Eastern Time, on Fairfax Public Access/WEBR Radio, which can be heard on the Internet at: http://www.fcac.org/webcasting/webcast.htm

For this week’s show, the Doctor took all you hepcats and kittens, swingerettes and swingeroos on a dazzling jazz journey into the pulchritudinous and pulsating pleasures of this mid-century modern art form. In addition to harkening back to the rattan and bamboo bedecked rumpus rooms of the past, those who have seen the photos of my home Tiki lounge on Flickr are well aware that my ideal of a Tiki Culture includes the swank and cool moderne architectural, art, musical and decorative styles that burst forth in the 1940s and 1950s. In my view, there is nothing that goes better with a tall, cool Tiki drink than the sounds of good jazz, as long as you keep the mood light.

The Playlist:

“All the Cats Join In” by Roy Eldridge & His Orchestra, with Buster Harding on vocal & arrangement, recorded in 1946

“Back in Your Own Backyard” by the Count Basie Orchestra with Billie Holiday on vocal and Buck Clayton on trumpet from the CD: Swingin’ With Buck

“Calling Dr. Jazz” with Fats Navarro on Trumpet, Eddie “Lockjaw” Davis on tenor Sax, Al Haig on Piano, Huey Long on Guitar, Gene Ramey on Bass, and Denzil Best on Drums (recorded in 1948), from the CD box set: The Fats Navarro Story

“Opus Caprice” from the CD: Wynton Kelly First Sessions, which was originally recorded in 1951 when the pianist was 19 years old, With Fred Skeete on bass; and Lee Abrams on drums

“Love Walked In” by Mel Torme, with Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass (recorded in 1995) from the Concord Jazz Super Audio CD Sampler

“Hymn of the Orient” from the Clifford Brown Memorial Album with Clifford Brown on trumpet, Gigi Gryce on alto sax, Charlie Rouse on tenor sax, John Lewis on piano, Percy Heath on bass, and Art Blakey on drums (recorded in 1953, Alternate Take)

“A Night in Tunisia” from the CD: The Amazing Bud Powell, Volume One with Bud Powell on piano, Curley Russell on bass and Max Roach on drums

“To Mickey’s Memory” from the Chet Baker Supreme Jazz SACD/1954-56, with Bill Loughborough on the chromatic tympani A/K/A “Boobams”

“Jade Visions” from Bill Evans/The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, recorded live in 1961, with Bill Evans on piano, Scott LaFaro on bass, and Paul Motian on drums

“I’m Beginning to See the Light” from: The Original Ellington Suite by the Chico Hamilton Quintet With Eric Dolphy on flute

“Saucer Eyes” from the 1961 Ron Carter album: Where? with Carter On Bass and Cello, Eric Dolphy on bass clarinet, Mal Waldron on piano, George Duvivier on bass, and Charles Persip on drums

“My Ship” from the collection: The Essential Sonny Rollins – The RCA Years (1962-64), with Jim Hall on guitar, Bob Cranshaw on bass, Mickey Roker on drums and Sonny Rollins on tenor sax

The Les Baxter “Tiki” interpreted by the Waitiki on their CD: Rendezvous in Okonkuluku

TM

Excellent choices!

Nice to see Jade Visions on there! LaFaro is one of my idols!

DZ

On 2010-02-05 11:09, lucas vigor wrote:
Excellent choices!

Nice to see Jade Visions on there! LaFaro is one of my idols!

If that's the case, if you are not aware of it you might be interested in this CD that came out recently: http://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Jade-Scott-LaFaro/dp/B002JIH8I8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1265503837&sr=1-1

TM

Oh yeah, it's rad! even has bits where you can hear scott and bill discussing how to approach songs they played.I also recently picked up a book containing all his solos from "sunday" and "waltz" transcribed!

Pages: 1 3 replies